Jedi do not smoke.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252833 by
Replied by on topic Jedi do not smoke.
It' not about just abstaining from cigarettes for me.

It' psychological adaptation to the world, as it happens now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252852 by
Epilogue

In principal, my attempt failed. I shall wait and rebuild myself at least a year before the next attempt. My show closes until then and I challenge you to best me.

To stop smoking, as I believe a Jedi must, I need to become much happier, and it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Thank you, everybody. Sad I was not able to meet our shared expectations for now. That was a good experience to build on.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #252853 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Jedi do not smoke.
Ah, you stumbled, so you are going to 'lay there' for a year?

Get back up later?

;)

( a little tough love, thats me.. ;)..)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Rex, Brontyn

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252855 by

den385 wrote: Epilogue

In principal, my attempt failed. I shall wait and rebuild myself at least a year before the next attempt. My show closes until then and I challenge you to best me.

To stop smoking, as I believe a Jedi must, I need to become much happier, and it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Thank you, everybody. Sad I was not able to meet our shared expectations for now. That was a good experience to build on.

I have never understood such an "all or nothing" mentality.

People start diets, or some other exercise in discipline and then at the first time of missing the mark, they will take the rest of the week, month, or year off.

It is a marathon, not a sprint, but happiness is really not the thing you need to be disciplined, in fact, perhaps more unhappiness with your inability to commit would be more beneficial.

Any exercise in discipline is about consistency, if you mess up one day, you get after it the next.

A year is but an excuse to keep up your bad habit.

Your making a habit of giving up alright, just reinforced and rewarded in your negative choices.

You always get better at what you choose to do, or not do.

I wonder....Are you also giving up being a Jedi for a year? I mean, Jedi dont smoke, but for at least another year, you are...

Better to be a Jedi who is struggling to stay committed to the path, rather than a smoker who is is dedicated only to reinforcing lung damage.

Just look at the numbers. A month not smoking( maybe a by more than month?) vs a year of, not including the years you already have.

Cant really raise the bar and offer a challenge when you have chosen to lay it on the ground and walk the other way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252858 by
If someone were to have the same response to another unhealthy behavior, lets say weight loss as an example. If they had a bad weekend and ate way to much for whatever reason. If they were to say "i'll try again in a year". They would never lose the extra weight. Every day you wait to try again is another day you are damaging your body. You only get one so do what you can. As they say "it only takes one grain of rice to tip the scale". You never know when that next cigarette seals your odds getting lung cancer (or any of the other things smoking causes). If you don't have enough strength to stop for yourself, stop for your family and friends.
My mother smoked since before I was born and was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of last year. Trust me it is extremely painful to watch someone suffer those treatments and their after effects.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252859 by
Yep, I'm gonna "lay and do nothing for a year". My schedule for doing nothing is very busy and leaves very little chance to depression and smoking both in a year.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252860 by
You are an addict , addicts make excuses to stay addicts , nothing will have changed next year , you only smoked another year longer to be at this exact point ... sow ... whats it gonna be big boy...you know you can do it , 21 days you did not smoke , thats awesome , remember that your mind will try to make you think you need sigarettes , you dont, you need to remember 21 days of not needing that shait :woohoo:

This one is for you , to put you over the edge haha, dont let them down :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252889 by
I just wanted to throw in my support here. I just saw this thread and read through the whole thing, beginning to end, today. I was very excited as I got closer to today's posts, and then I saw the result. I was heartbroken, and I don't even know you :-(

I think I was most heartbroken to see your "failure" as a "result". There's no such thing as failure. There's a mistake. I also saw a whole bunch of off-topic conversation that is now being brought back on-topic. It was a discussion about people telling others what a Jedi is and isn't, and telling others how to be a Jedi. And it was decided in that discussion that the "Jedi do not smoke" maxim isn't about how others should be a Jedi. It's about how YOU view yourself as a Jedi. And so, with that, I posit that if you smoke, you are not a Jedi.

Jedi are fearless. If they give into fear for a moment, then they are Jedi who made a mistake. If they submit to fear and live in it, then they are no longer Jedi.

If a Jedi is smokeless, but smokes, then he is a Jedi who made a mistake. If a Jedi submits to smoking as a renewed habit, then he is no longer a Jedi.

Even if you make the mistake on a weekly, or even daily basis, you are still a Jedi who makes mistakes. It's not about the "result". It's about the state of mind and the commitment. If you fail every single day but remain committed, then you are a Jedi doing your best. Are you a Jedi?

Like I said, I read through this thread all in one sitting. I was inspired. Jedi inspire others, and you did that. Even when you posted about slipping, I was still inspired. I was still right there beside you. Please, don't give up!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252890 by
Thx, Marta, but you do not know the context.

If I'm gonna fail, I'll at least know that I did it my way.

Imagine that smoking is less then 10% of the overall health problem I fight every day. And it is not the loose end to start from it.

Eventually, smoking will leave.

Yeah, I'm addict :( But my true addiction is Jedi way. Let the fittest survive. j-D
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #252891 by
I know , i was just showing some tough love , i really hope you can resolve your issues and i see that smoking is symptom , good luck Jedi especially with your health problems be physical or mentally :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi