Jedi do not smoke.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250082 by
Replied by on topic Jedi do not smoke.
My first thought was that Den was defining his personal interpretation of how a Jedi comports her or himself. For Den, that means that he, as a Jedi, will no longer smoke. His Jediism is one of courage, strength, dedication, discipline, honesty, and, importantly, a readiness to share his struggle with the Temple community. He is not alone and he knows it. Overcoming addiction is a worthy endeavor. Good work, Den.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250083 by
Or people could just get thicker skin.....Ya know...its an option too. Just saying. This thread is about one Jedi doing his best to beat a really bad habbit (In his own mind) and was seeking like minds to join him if they wanted.

Keep up the good work Den :)

TOTJO's Jedi Teachings

4. Jedi are wary of attachments, both material and personal.

5. Jedi understand that well-being consists in the physical, the mental and the spiritual. A Jedi trains each to ensure they remain capable of performing their duties to the best of their ability. All of these are interconnected and essential parts of our training in becoming more harmonious with the Force.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250084 by
Ehm. I didn't start this thread to declare anything for others - I'd be happy if others shared this point of view, it feels quite self-evident to me (see doctrine teachings 4 & 5 and the maxim of fearlessness), but well - I definitely can imagine a smoking Jedi who's Jedi-mojo is stronger then mine.

Once and for all - this thread is about 1 Jedi who does not smoke anymore and for those like-minded.

I sinceerely thank you for your support and inquiry! I didn't expect to find such resonance in TOTJO for my little crusade. I'm profoundly touched.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250087 by
Keep it up brother , i am behind you 110 % you can do this !!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250092 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:
We really need to quit telling each other how to be Jedi. How about everybody just does what is in their heart and we all stop acting like we know better?

This is off topic, but I think that it's not "telling others how to be a Jedi", but encouraging others to be better Jedi. And I think we can all use the help. All of us. It's healthy to support each other in being better. We should expect that our fellow Jedi want to help us, not judge us.

encouraging others to be better Jedi = telling you to do it my way

It's the same thing, Leah. We're are so focused on incoming differences, but don't allow for difference once people are here. It's like a real world church... come on in, learn the language, get programmed.

If a Jedi wants to smoke, do drugs, or do anything else, they are still a Jedi because they call themselves one.

And if Trisskar wants to target me, maybe she should quit being passive aggressive about it for once. That's called being a coward. But I won't say she's any less of a Jedi for it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250093 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote: And if Trisskar wants to target me, maybe she should quit being passive aggressive about it for once. That's called being a coward. But I won't say she's any less of a Jedi for it.

Who said I was targeting you? If I was targeting you I would have called you by name.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250094 by
Ok guys, please can we keep this on topic, and refrain from personal remarks.

A reminder of the site terms of use:

Here at TotJO we debate arguments not personalities and ideas instead of people.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250095 by
# Ontopic

My choice of tools to diminish automatic sensory habits was good - sweetmeats reduce gustatory craving for cigarettes and beads reduce the tactile constituent. Also, coffee, green tea, walks and changing activities help.

Wow, I can even study some quite complex stuff under this withdrawal syndrome. Hence, I can focus. Probably, physical withdrawal symptomes are diminished by now.

Also, I notice how much power of motivation matters. You really should know what you're doing in such cases, it really should become a matter of principle. When a habit is opposed with principle, then it can change. I don't think it can be done otherwise.

#Offtopic

IMO, I am Jedi not because I say so, but because I also think so, act so and mostly because the whole 3 of these are consistent with doctrine which is consistent with the spirit of the Path.

But, my definition of Jedi probably is other then many. Maybe I'm a proud snob, but I separate notions of Jediism and Jedi Path, of which I treat first as religion, where you really have to believe in something and second as a spiritual path where a person has spiritual experience and trusts the Force, not believes in it. First is like being a witness to the myth, making a religion out of myths, and second is living your own myth, being creative in the most brave way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250098 by
agree , and if your idea is that a Jedi does not smoke then you should try to live up to that , its the reason i work out and try to live as healthy as i can , i am a Jedi and want to be an example :)

den385 wrote: #Offtopic

IMO, I am Jedi not because I say so, but because I also think so, act so and mostly because the whole 3 of these are consistent with doctrine which is consistent with the spirit of the Path.

But, my definition of Jedi probably is other then many. Maybe I'm a proud snob, but I separate notions of Jediism and Jedi Path, of which I treat first as religion, where you really have to believe in something and second as a spiritual path where a person has spiritual experience and trusts the Force, not believes in it. First is like being a witness to the myth and 2nd, making a religion out of myths, and second is living your own myth, being creative in the most brave way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250105 by

Trisskar wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote: And if Trisskar wants to target me, maybe she should quit being passive aggressive about it for once. That's called being a coward. But I won't say she's any less of a Jedi for it.

Who said I was targeting you? If I was targeting you I would have called you by name.

We both know that's not true. Either way, I'm done pulling focus in this thread. I'd be entirely delighted to be done with you doing this in maybe half the threads I express a non-herd opinion in. I'm sick of your passive aggressive BS.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi