Is TOTJO inclusive or Exclusive is this a plus or a minus

More
9 years 1 month ago #185497 by rugadd
I hear you Goken. It isn't easy. I drop about $100 a month to travel 5 hours in one day twice a month to meet up with the Chicago Jedi. I have to make it happen. I consider myself blessed I can.

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185498 by Breeze el Tierno

rugadd wrote: I WILL be attending the Gathering this year in Indiana, and will be donating printed goods to the cause, as well as rides for fellow Chicago Jedi.

Ah, that's good to know! I will be there as well. I'm really looking forward to meeting more of us this year. I met Ros at the Gathering last year and appreciated that she had her head screwed on nice and tight, a humble and insightful sister.

Glad we will get to meet, Rugadd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185499 by

rugadd wrote: Hannigan

I WILL be attending the Gathering this year in Indiana, and will be donating printed goods to the cause, as well as rides for fellow Chicago Jedi. I look forward to meeting you (and potentially sparring?). Your posts on FB have inspired me often. It makes it easier to get up as early as I do seeing you getting up at the same time to do the same thing.

I have an account at JOA but I am not active there.

I participate in discussions at the FB United Jedi Assembly regularly. I do not post TOTJO links(that I recall).

All in all, I am making an effort on purpose to help draw the communities closer by including myself in them and getting to know the members. I have a very active life already, however, and more than the three I am active in is to much for my meager abilities.

I am not certain about sparring at this point. It appears that my 3rd Dan pretest is the week after the gathering. That week is a harsh week of training for me and I jurors may hold me back 6 months.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185503 by steamboat28

MJ Hannigan wrote: From your POV I understand but why is it that we do not see many TOTJO members outside of totjo within the greater community.

Honestly? Because of the behavior of outside Jedi when they come to visit TOTJO. They have a habit of tracking mud in.

MJ Hannigan wrote: I am guessing since i put you in your place last time you are allowing your venum to take control. Its cool and expected. Perhaps this is something you can work on in the future.

Kinda like this.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan, Loudzoo

More
9 years 1 month ago #185504 by rugadd
Hannigan: Understood. Perhaps some theory discussions on application!

Cabur: Indeed! I look foreward to it!

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185505 by
In my rush this morning I do not elaborate my point as much as I ought so I am sorry for that. To correct this mistake here is a more full explanation.

MJ Hannigan wrote: Akkarin
I am looking forward to seeing your thought on Standard, Requirement and the concept of the Elite on another topic so it can be fully discussed.

Yes it is a separate topic but I shall elaborate the point I made to explain the connection I was making (but didn't communicate) between elitism and in/exclusivity.

MJ Hannigan wrote: As it pertains to Elitism I have no issues with the word or calling myself a Elitest. Not hard to see that fact and not a shock to anyone reading it. I feel that Jedi Knights/Masters should be Elitest as not everyone who was a padawan made it to knight/master status.

This is a rather thorough philosophical point being made so I apologise for the length, but it is broadly necessary.

First a quick explanation of what elitism is. Elitism is a particular group of persons being "better" than others in some way.

In some instances this is just factually true of the circumstances. For example a person might have a higher IQ than another person, or a person might be more physically capable than another person. Such assertions can be factually the case when looking at the supporting evidence. To deny the evidence would be nonsensical and might border dangerously far into political correctness.

Another form of elitism is when authority or power is concentrated in the hands of a particular group of persons. The justification for such concentration is generally because of the idea that these persons are better than a different group of persons.

In the military for instance power and authority would probably be granted to the most capable person available to handle the situation. Like the above examples these instances are probably based on the factual information that this person is simply more qualified and better than everyone else at handling the situation. Appointing them rather than another is therefore appropriate.

But here's the catch... what happens if the justification is not based in facts? Well then it is based in belief (or rather prejudice) that such a person is better simply because they are better. This might be due to racism or arrogance or being born into a particular class etc...

The military example above is an example of when elitism is appropriate. All members of the military have commonly agreed to abide by the rules and training provided within that institution so there is a clear line of authority from the person most in charge to the person least in charge. Inclusivity and exclusivity in these cases is based on factual information and many times is entirely appropriate for the way in which the institution needs to be run.

If pilots (I'll use this as an obvious example) need good vision to fly a plane then clearly people with very poor vision must be excluded from being pilots. The pilots with good vision are elite - they factually have better eyesight - and the Air Force needs elitely-visioned persons to be able to operate. Exclusivity is both appropriate and expected.

But what about cases where what is better is much murkier? What makes one a better human than another? Sure someone might make set some standards for good humanness, but guess what? The person who set the standards is human, so why should we listen to that human rather than another human? A human cannot create a set of standards to justify what makes good humanness, without first having to justify why they are the right human to make a set of standards... And once they justify why they are justified then they have to also justify why they are justified in making their justification ad infinitum.

The problem is that there is no agreed upon standard by all parties concerned as to what makes a good human a good human. When there is, remembering of course that these standards are just conventions of choice rather than facts, then and only then can a discussion be had on good humanness. The in/exclusivity in this instance is who agrees to the standard and who doesn't.

But what if it isn't being a good human that is being discussed, but being a good Jedi? Well the exact same process needs to be followed. All parties (Jedi) need to agree to a common set of standards, those who agree are considered inclusive (included), those who disagree are considered exclusive (excluded).

But guess what? There is not commonly agreed upon standard of what makes one a good Jedi. Sure there are general principles we think are appropriate for a Jedi to have, but such principles are hardly a good "standard" from which a judgement could be appropriately made.

If there is no standard then to insist on a standard is to elevate a person or persons into a position of authority over-and-above everyone else and declare "This is the way it is because I say so". This creates exlcusion as people no longer fit into this "standard", but it is not an exclusion based on elitist fact, it is an exclusion based on elitist arrogance.

When it comes to Jedi/Jediism/Jedi Realism TotJO rejects any such authority which is why the Temple is inclusive*. The Temple as an institution has a set of standards which members of the institution should abide by, but that is a convention agreed to by virtue of choosing to be a member here. TotJO's position is, and I hope forever will be, that we speak for ourselves and we grant ourselves authority only as far as the boundaries of our institution extend. Outside of TotJO I cannot speak as a Knight, because I am only a Knight so far as everyone who is a member of the Temple agrees to accept the authority which granted my Knighthood. Outside of this commonly agreed convention TotJO has no power nor say on who is and is not a Jedi (as it should be).

TotJO doesn't exclude anyone from being able to call themselves Jedi, certainly not based on any sort of standard.

Do you know where these statements fall?

The link you posted to jedi Manual had this description: "Home - This site is dedicated to those who truly wish to follow the Jedi Path."
Truly wish to follow the Jedi Path - so if we are not a part of that then we are not truly following the Jedi Path? That is an example of elitism.

MJ Hannigan wrote: Third intead of trying to reach the ideas of Jedi Realism to the best of your ability why not raise your standards instead of lowering the standards of the Jedi Realist.

Lowering the standards of the Jedi Realist? So we are lower standards of Jedi for being a part of TotJO than we would be if we were not a part of TotJO? That is also an example of elitism.

Both are elitist, but as I said the Temple is also elitist. Except they are not the same sort of elitism. The Temple has authority to set standards on Jedi related matters where authority is agreed. You made a statement about standards on Jedi related matters from a position of authority but for which there was no agreement.

The Temple says "This person is "superior" because between all parties concerned it has been agreed that they are superior". What you said was "This person is "superior" because I say they are superior", that is elitist arrogance.

*A note should be made here that there is a difference between inclusivity and acceptance. Acceptance is a standard that may or may not be required of persons who are included into a particular group. For brevity I won't go into this much more and just leave it at that.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185510 by

Akkarin wrote: In my rush this morning I do not elaborate my point as much as I ought so I am sorry for that. To correct this mistake here is a more full explanation.

MJ Hannigan wrote: Akkarin
I am looking forward to seeing your thought on Standard, Requirement and the concept of the Elite on another topic so it can be fully discussed.

Yes it is a separate topic but I shall elaborate the point I made to explain the connection I was making (but didn't communicate) between elitism and in/exclusivity.

MJ Hannigan wrote: As it pertains to Elitism I have no issues with the word or calling myself a Elitest. Not hard to see that fact and not a shock to anyone reading it. I feel that Jedi Knights/Masters should be Elitest as not everyone who was a padawan made it to knight/master status.

This is a rather thorough philosophical point being made so I apologise for the length, but it is broadly necessary.

First a quick explanation of what elitism is. Elitism is a particular group of persons being "better" than others in some way.

In some instances this is just factually true of the circumstances. For example a person might have a higher IQ than another person, or a person might be more physically capable than another person. Such assertions can be factually the case when looking at the supporting evidence. To deny the evidence would be nonsensical and might border dangerously far into political correctness.

Another form of elitism is when authority or power is concentrated in the hands of a particular group of persons. The justification for such concentration is generally because of the idea that these persons are better than a different group of persons.

In the military for instance power and authority would probably be granted to the most capable person available to handle the situation. Like the above examples these instances are probably based on the factual information that this person is simply more qualified and better than everyone else at handling the situation. Appointing them rather than another is therefore appropriate.

But here's the catch... what happens if the justification is not based in facts? Well then it is based in belief (or rather prejudice) that such a person is better simply because they are better. This might be due to racism or arrogance or being born into a particular class etc...

The military example above is an example of when elitism is appropriate. All members of the military have commonly agreed to abide by the rules and training provided within that institution so there is a clear line of authority from the person most in charge to the person least in charge. Inclusivity and exclusivity in these cases is based on factual information and many times is entirely appropriate for the way in which the institution needs to be run.

If pilots (I'll use this as an obvious example) need good vision to fly a plane then clearly people with very poor vision must be excluded from being pilots. The pilots with good vision are elite - they factually have better eyesight - and the Air Force needs elitely-visioned persons to be able to operate. Exclusivity is both appropriate and expected.

But what about cases where what is better is much murkier? What makes one a better human than another? Sure someone might make set some standards for good humanness, but guess what? The person who set the standards is human, so why should we listen to that human rather than another human? A human cannot create a set of standards to justify what makes good humanness, without first having to justify why they are the right human to make a set of standards... And once they justify why they are justified then they have to also justify why they are justified in making their justification ad infinitum.

The problem is that there is no agreed upon standard by all parties concerned as to what makes a good human a good human. When there is, remembering of course that these standards are just conventions of choice rather than facts, then and only then can a discussion be had on good humanness. The in/exclusivity in this instance is who agrees to the standard and who doesn't.

But what if it isn't being a good human that is being discussed, but being a good Jedi? Well the exact same process needs to be followed. All parties (Jedi) need to agree to a common set of standards, those who agree are considered inclusive (included), those who disagree are considered exclusive (excluded).

But guess what? There is not commonly agreed upon standard of what makes one a good Jedi. Sure there are general principles we think are appropriate for a Jedi to have, but such principles are hardly a good "standard" from which a judgement could be appropriately made.

If there is no standard then to insist on a standard is to elevate a person or persons into a position of authority over-and-above everyone else and declare "This is the way it is because I say so". This creates exlcusion as people no longer fit into this "standard", but it is not an exclusion based on elitist fact, it is an exclusion based on elitist arrogance.

When it comes to Jedi/Jediism/Jedi Realism TotJO rejects any such authority which is why the Temple is inclusive*. The Temple as an institution has a set of standards which members of the institution should abide by, but that is a convention agreed to by virtue of choosing to be a member here. TotJO's position is, and I hope forever will be, that we speak for ourselves and we grant ourselves authority only as far as the boundaries of our institution extend. Outside of TotJO I cannot speak as a Knight, because I am only a Knight so far as everyone who is a member of the Temple agrees to accept the authority which granted my Knighthood. Outside of this commonly agreed convention TotJO has no power nor say on who is and is not a Jedi (as it should be).

TotJO doesn't exclude anyone from being able to call themselves Jedi, certainly not based on any sort of standard.

Do you know where these statements fall?

The link you posted to jedi Manual had this description: "Home - This site is dedicated to those who truly wish to follow the Jedi Path."
Truly wish to follow the Jedi Path - so if we are not a part of that then we are not truly following the Jedi Path? That is an example of elitism.

MJ Hannigan wrote: Third intead of trying to reach the ideas of Jedi Realism to the best of your ability why not raise your standards instead of lowering the standards of the Jedi Realist.

Lowering the standards of the Jedi Realist? So we are lower standards of Jedi for being a part of TotJO than we would be if we were not a part of TotJO? That is also an example of elitism.

Both are elitist, but as I said the Temple is also elitist. Except they are not the same sort of elitism. The Temple has authority to set standards on Jedi related matters where authority is agreed. You made a statement about standards on Jedi related matters from a position of authority but for which there was no agreement.

The Temple says "This person is "superior" because between all parties concerned it has been agreed that they are superior". What you said was "This person is "superior" because I say they are superior", that is elitist arrogance.

If you were getting to a point I think I missed it. Tell you what a topic about elitism would be great. When I get home I will start the topic new, provide a audio link for the female trolling me and then I would be prepared for your speaches. How does that sound?

*A note should be made here that there is a difference between inclusivity and acceptance. Acceptance is a standard that may or may not be required of persons who are included into a particular group. For brevity I won't go into this much more and just leave it at that.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185515 by
Akkarin
That was a impressive prattle... When you are ready to discuss the topic at hand let me know..

Steamboat that is a interesting opinion perhaps we should explore that at another time.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185517 by steamboat28

MJ Hannigan wrote: Steamboat that is a interesting opinion perhaps we should explore that at another time.

It is, after all, directly related to the question you posed at the beginning of this thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185518 by OB1Shinobi

OB1Shinobi wrote: totjo is like any other social structure

people know each other and people are comfortable

being new it takes time to be accepted

especially if you come in with your ownideas that were not developed in concordance to the existing group dynamic

"elites" within any group tend to be snobbish

so what?

the way to get accepted by any group is just to stick around and mingle openly

you step on toes and offend people from time to time but

you also earn respect from time to time
eventually the group adapts to you and you adapt to it

its the same process with every group

totjo is not especially inclusive or exclusive for the most part

although

i see it as being more exclusive than it realizes itself to be

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi