Cultural Appropriation

More
9 years 1 month ago #185158 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Cultural Appropriation
steamboat

all i have to do is produce one example of one gay black woman who made a successful life in america to prove the essential validity of my point about success being a matter of personal choices

to invalidate my point you have to prove that no such women existed

our economy has been tanked since 2000 but even with that there is no justifying the idea that ANYONE is doomed to failure in america because of their race gender or orientation

that certain doors may not be open to someone because of these things does not mean that no doors exist

certain groups have more doors than others
im not arguing that

what i said was that an americans ultimate success or failure is a result of their choices (or time - if they die especially early)

that is NOT demonstrably false

moms mabley
alice walker
nell carter
barbara jordan
danitra vance (who also had a LEARNING DISABILITY)
octavia e butler
barbara smith
meshell ndegeocello
tracy chapman
alexis kay'ree
cheryl dunye
darlene garner
denise simmons
dionne brand

the rules you fight for are the rules youre going to live with

if you want to fight for the right to fail no matter how hard you work or how well you learn your vocation then thats the reality youll get

but your success or failure is ultimately a result of your choices

.great people are the ones who empower others

dr king for instance didnt run around complaining about elvis or eminem

he told black men and women that they had a voice
he told them that they could stand uptogether and say "we have dignity"

he wasnt out to take away the powers of the evil white man

he was out to convince the black culture of its power

given a choice between disempowering and empowering - he empowered

he organized

he refused to belive that he was powerless
or that anyone else was powerless

he said "we can do it and this is how"

thats a leader

he wasnt demanding that people say "negro - not negro'd"

he didnt condescend to explain what culture is to anybody or define it for anyone elses life context
and he wasnt interested in telling anyone how they shouldnt dance

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185163 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Cultural Appropriation
I completely agree with OB1. My great grandfather was a first generation Russian Jewish immigrant who made his life in the poor part of Milwaukee. He learned the English language while in this country. He fought for our country in the first world war. He was present, running a business, available for his wife and three children. He never participated in illegal activities. He never was brought down by anti-Russian or anti-Jewish propaganda during the early 20th century to mid 20th century, which was present and highly accepted. What he DID do was lead a wholesome life and put three children through college so that they could have better lives than he did. And from what I hear, he was highly respected for his entire life by nearly everyone who met him.

Our position in this country is not based on where we were brought up. It is based on our actions, and if we cannot help ourselves then we should sacrifice what we must so the next generation is in a better position. The American dream is alive and well, and anyone and everyone can take part in it if they have the determination to do so. Doesn't matter what color, creed, orientation, etc. you are.

By the way, due to my Jewish heritage, there are groups of people who wouldn't even consider me white. And you know what? It's people like that who are doing the serious harm to race relations, not some girl in a headdress.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185165 by OB1Shinobi
yeah i gotta say i agree with every point TheDudes' made

im not supporting disrespect of peoples culture - i am supporting choosing to look at the world in a way that doesnt have me wasting my energy on things which i cannot change and cause no actual harm other than that people choose to take offense at them - which is really a case of a person "harming" themself

People are complicated.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185170 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Cultural Appropriation
this thread just reminded me of some experiences i had while overseas...i've been places where my skin color worked against me. in these places being "white" resulted in being harrassed,assualted,treated as second class citizens, etc...

on guam the locals, and asian tourists treated me better than my friends because i didn't look like them(they were under the impression i was an asian mix)....one was irish the other german, and both looked like the "typical" white man...and being from mixed heritage i didn't...it used to irritate my friends to be treated differently from me, just because they were "white"...white privelege does not exist everywhere, and does not apply to everyone with "white" skin...

wanting to maintain "racial purity" or "cultural purity" is a foolish concept to me, why actively try to segregate humans when we can unite them....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RyuJin.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185172 by steamboat28

More
9 years 1 month ago #185173 by OB1Shinobi
i lived in n tampa 30th st until about 14 yrs old
being white didnt work out to my favor too much either lol

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185174 by
Replied by on topic Cultural Appropriation
Last week my fiance and I were having a conversation about American's identifying with different cultures. (This was largely concerning how "Irish" American's celebrate St. Patrick's day). She looked at me and said, "How long do you think before American's are so intermingled that American is a nationality?" It struck me as odd because I view myself as American, not German or Irish or whatnot.

For me it's odd because my name was at one point Irish (it's been altered throughout time) but my Father was adopted by his step-father to take his name so my father's "real" heritage was largely English, I believe. My mother's family was largely German, but both families have been in America for so long that no one remembers when we came over. I was born in Texas and raised in Iowa. The only time I've left the country was on a Carribean Cruise. I am American, it's as simple as that.

America is a melting pot. Native American culture is, sadly, a very small part of American culture now. (Yes, that is due to violence and treachery which was awful, but that is not the conversation we're supposed to be having here and can be discussed elsewhere). Everything else has been appropriated by the people who moved here largely to get away from their former cultures, or at least parts of them. I don't believe that things belong to a specific culture, I believe that they originate from them. I also believe that we should be respectful of that.

We should understand where everything comes from, but I'm not going to tell my friend he can't like Chinese food because his last name is Hernandez. Just like I'm not going to tell my friend who is probably very German in heritage that she can't draw in manga/anime style because it's Japanese and she's not. What sense would that make?

More
9 years 1 month ago #185175 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Cultural Appropriation
Well, apparently it's not completely harmless, or there wouldn't be a literal Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #185177 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Cultural Appropriation

OB1Shinobi wrote: i lived in n tampa 30th st until about 14 yrs old
being white didnt work out to my favor too much either lol

i know what you mean....been there..didn't like having to constantly look over my shoulder, keeping my head on a swivel...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185179 by OB1Shinobi

steamboat28 wrote: Well, apparently it's not completely harmless, or there wouldn't be a literal Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality .

oh cool like a jihad
love those
oh wait - im white
i have to call it a "crusade" dont i?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi