Cultural Appropriation

More
9 years 1 month ago #185180 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Cultural Appropriation

RyuJin wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: i lived in n tampa 30th st until about 14 yrs old
being white didnt work out to my favor too much either lol

i know what you mean....been there..didn't like having to constantly look over my shoulder, keeping my head on a swivel...

yeah it sucked

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #185182 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Cultural Appropriation
where i live now i'm still the minority....and often get treated as such...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185183 by OB1Shinobi
ninja
vampire
mummy
leonidus
ghengis khan
shaolin monk
indian
geisha
pancho villa
mexican wrestler
william wallace
cleopatra
amazonian babe
belly dancer
sexy gypsy fortune teller
thor
viking
snow white or any of the dwarves
ali baba or any of the thieves
aladin
or the genie
samurai
leprechuan
---

a quick list of cool halloween costumes i and my sister are not allowed to wear lol (im not the right kind of white)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185184 by OB1Shinobi

RyuJin wrote: where i live now i'm still the minority....and often get treated as such...

when they send the little one to start a fight dont do it!

People are complicated.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185185 by RyuJin

OB1Shinobi wrote:

RyuJin wrote: where i live now i'm still the minority....and often get treated as such...

when they send the little one to start a fight dont do it!

that happened to me when i lived in north carolina....they then came at me with a baseball bat...didn't go well for them...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185188 by OB1Shinobi
well im glad they didnt get both of us then lol

i think ive figured out what it is that actually irks me with this whole thing and to be a typical appropriating white devil what i want to say is that you guys are a bunch of player haters! ha

my way of thinking is "how do i make my own music video?
how do i start my own subcultural movement that gives people a sense of meaning and porpose in their lives?

i dont have free mental energy to worry about all the bad evil messages out there stealing peoples culture because im spending my energy working on my own awesome message of freedom.and personal empowerment

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185189 by RyuJin
when you spend most of your pre-adolescent childhood getting beat up by bullies and getting abused at home you tend to toughen up pretty quick and get really good at fighting...

Quotes:

More
9 years 1 month ago #185190 by OB1Shinobi
yeah i understannd
i got better too eventually

just not those particular times

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185206 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Cultural Appropriation
I am white and I learned Northern Shaolin from a black man. I wear my Shaolin esque robe when I practice and teach. Am I an appropriator deserving scorn? Would it help to know my Shifu is at the Shaolin Temple right this very minute, a disciple of a monk there (De Cheng for those of you who go looking). A monk who traveled to America to meet me and my fellow students, who held my hand and told me in broken english he was proud to have Shaolin carried on in my family? Or are we talking about the woman in a chinese market who tried to literally rip the robes off of my Brother Gi Shir Yue because he was white?

Where is the line? Maybe this is the media problem Jamie talked about, but I rarely know if I should be offended or not...

Why do I feel like we're looking at the mud and missing the flowers?

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 1 month ago #185212 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Cultural Appropriation
My skin is white. Very white, like moonbeamish white.

I was born in Southern Africa, raised by a Zulu woman who taught me Zulu before I could even speak English. It’s the first language I learned songs in. And I was influenced heavily by our Xhosa house keeper whose stories were the first fairy tales I ever heard (though I literally only remember the one about the imp like creature who would get me if I was bad :D ) English is only the third language I learned. I spoke Afrikaans long before I was fluent in English. My maternal grandfather was Afrikaans, his immediately traceable lineage a mix of Dutch and German. My maternal grandmother is English. Her mother was Irish and her mother was a French woman who’s name and likeness I’m told I bear. On my father’s side, welsh, more Afrikaans and a “shameful” link to a “half cast” who I believe was Spanish.

But I was born and grew up in Africa. And now I’ve lived in New Zealand for 10 years too. And am very much immersed in the culture here. I speak smatterings of Te Reo, maori and pacific island culture permeate every part of life here. And I’m about to move to America. Yet another cultural melting pot. And I will embrace the culture and be influenced by it there too.

So what is my culture? I’ve always been encouraged to “be English” or “celtic” because that is how I look. And encouraged to overlook the fact that I was born into a predominantly black culture. And even that is misleading because there are 11 officially recognised tribes in my home country alone. Each with its own culture, not to mention the influence of numerous other ethnic groups brought to southern Africa during the slave trade that add to the overall cultural mix. One of the national dishes is actually Malaysian :D

But seriously, what is my culture? Am I allowed the various cultural quirks that I have because of the mixed influences on my life?

What about religious appropriation? How many religions have we borrowed from in order to cobble together jediism? How many cultural ideas have we “appropriated” there?

What I keep seeing in this thread (and offline with this conversation) is “ I am offended”. The fact that someone else does not attribute the same value to something cultural that you do, is unfortunate, for you both. But “IM OFFENDED” has nothing to do with culture, and everything to do with “you’re not seeing things the way that I see them” and by extension "You dont see me the way that I see myself".

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Edan, OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi