Cultural Appropriation

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185121 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Cultural Appropriation

RyuJin wrote: each PERSON is responsible for their actions only....you cannot blame one person or one group for the actions of another...and you cannot punish anyone for something that happened long ago in the past...people need to learn how to let go of these attachments and move forward or they'll always be in misery.

...I feel like we're missing something here. A few people have said that you can't be judged on the actions of your ancestors, like I'm holding you all responsible for the devastation white people have caused throughout history.

I'm not.

What I am saying, though, is that when you appropriate a culture, you are either opening new wounds or reopening old ones, and either way, you, yourself, are actively harming that culture, right now, in the present.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #185122 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Cultural Appropriation
i can't wait for the day when there is only 1 culture....the world culture...

i don't understand why people are so eager to keep themselves separate...if we were meant to be separate we wouldn't be able to reproduce inter-racially.....

i'm a human, my culture is human...i know my family history, it's fascinating to know it...but it doesn't define who i am...only where i came from

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 1 month ago #185123 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Cultural Appropriation

steamboat28 wrote: The point I mentioned is definitely cultural appropriation because it took something another culture created, whitewashed it, divorced it from its creators, and then continued to deny those creators basic human rights for another hundred years. That is a textbook example of cultural appropriation. It continues to this day, especially musically, in the US.

It is currently doing no harm. What you're doing is pointing towards something, saying it's awful because of the loosest connection to something which is bad, and rolling with it despite you can't demonstrate how the actions themselves are morally wrong or even ambiguous. If you're going with some kind of warped Utilitarianism, I'm not seeing it.

If you really think it's just "a hat," then you really have missed the entire point of this conversation and are actively contributing to the problem.

I don't see it as a problem. I can't tell if you're serious or not. And yes, it's just a hat. Just like a mala is just a necklace/bracelet-like object. Just like a dream catcher is just a knickknack. I honestly don't care if a headdress is some kind of power image only to be worn by male chiefs. And you know what? I think it's wonderful that it's a white person wearing that, and I think it's something that we should disrespect. That headdress symbolizes both inequality between the sexes and inequality between social classes. Nor am I upset over Burger King's paper crowns, which show disrespect towards monarchs.

But that fact is that these things aren't worn to show disrespect or promote ignorance. They're worn because they're deemed fun, good looking, whatever. There's a BIG difference between a cartoonist drawing Muhammad and a cartoonist drawing Muhammad in provocative scenes.

Then you haven't looked into either of those topics closely enough to see the erasure of the original cultures at the hands of fluffy-bunny new-agers.

"You disagree with me -- you must just not be educated enough on the subject."
That's SO pompous.

Also, in response to the article you linked, " You Can't 'Steal' a Culture ", saying that cultural appropriation is a compliment is about the same as if I groped your significant other and told you "Hey! I thought they were hot! It's a compliment!"

Absolutely false. Are you honestly telling me that if I learn how to play a Spanish instrument, like the guitar, and play Spanish music, possibly with a rock 'n roll or blues twist, it's somehow racist or cultural appropriation? Yes, I'm using a Spanish tool to play a modified and not authentic Spanish style of music, but what harm is it doing? What if it even sounds better than the original? Is it somehow offensive?
No. It isn't.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185124 by
Replied by on topic Cultural Appropriation

RyuJin wrote: it's pointless to get mad at a whole group for the mistakes of a few individuals within...

A few? We're talking about genocide. We're talking about the forceful capture and relocation of hundreds of thousands of people. We're talking about an almost complete annihilation of people's way of life. That wasn't just a few individuals, that was one people exterminating another because "the grass was greener on the other side" and the locals would just up and leave their homes willingly. That's just what white people did to the Native Americans, we haven't even talked about what we did to West Africa, India, and every non-Western European who tried to immigrate into the Western European world.

RyuJin wrote: it's unjust to punish a whole group for the mistakes of their ancestors....

I realize the prospect for sharing responsibility in for the crimes of an entire people seems daunting. Perhaps even impossible. The fact of the matter is that no one can really force you to do anything. Nobody is going to haul you to jail for this. You can firmly plant your head in the sand and pretend nobody told you this stuff. And you know what? Nobody is asking you take responsibility for the crimes of your great, great, great, great granddad. What Steamboat and I are talking about are the benefits you gain from being white today. Cultural appropriation is one of those things that white people get away with because we are white and we are the dominant socio-ethnic group throughout most of the Western world.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #185125 by RyuJin
benefits?....if i'm getting something because of my skin color then i'm sure as hell missing it...i'm unemployed...so my skin color isn't getting me a job....i have no healthcare coverage, so my skin color isn't getting me medicaid/medicare or any other benefit, i'm sitting in pain from pancreatitis and can't get it treated....my skin color isn't helping me there....from my experience and observations around where i live the minorities are getting more benefits than i am...

A few? We're talking about genocide. We're talking about the forceful capture and relocation of hundreds of thousands of people. We're talking about an almost complete annihilation of people's way of life. That wasn't just a few individuals, that was one people exterminating another

umm...that was not all white people....that was a large number yes...but not all....
i don't agree with what was done, it affected my ancestors as well (i am part cheyenne indian), but it's pointless for me to bitch and moan about it....i'm not going to run around to every white person i meet shouting "you killed my ancestors, so you owe me"....because they didn't...even if their ancestors did the killing....i'm not going to blame anyone for the actions of someone they were related to.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

More
9 years 1 month ago #185126 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Cultural Appropriation
you being offended is not the same thing as me being offensive

if you find yourself offended by people who dont know you and mean no harm to anybody then youre wasting your emotional energy

some people choose to be offended when they dont have to be

which is unfortunate - but its everybody's right to feel however they want to feel

however - the expectation that everyone else should feel the same way is unreasonable

i think thats the point most on this side of the discussion are making

if im walking along and someone punches me in the face as i walk by
this is actual "harm"
this is a legitimate attack

if im walking along and i see someone pee on a bible

this has nothing to do with me

theyre peeing on a bible because theyre an idiot

if i choose to pee on a bible or a koran or a headdress you can choose to be offended

there are any number of ways you can interpret that act and they dont all require you to be offended, even if youre a christian or a muslim or an american "indian"

but im not responsible for your interpretation or your reaction

those are your choices

you can choose to punch me in the face for disrespecting your culture

that also is your choice and your responsibility

and i can choose to react however i will choose to react
and that will be my choice and my responsibility

and at every step of the way our interpretations and our reaction are CHOICES

and the world does not care that you choose to be offended

*im hoping that people understand from my previous posts that i dont actually endorse the act of peeing on peoples religious symbols

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Amaya

More
9 years 1 month ago #185127 by OB1Shinobi
i dont care what you think you know about the benefits of anything

in america today you can succeed pretty much regardless of your ethnicity gender or sexual orientation

your success is a matter of your choices

say whatever you want about the relative ease of success, it doesnt change the fact that in the long run no one can stop you except yourself

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Amaya

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185128 by RyuJin

*im hoping that people understand from my previous posts that i dont actually endorse the act of peeing on peoples religious symbols

there's a buddhist story i like:
a zen master was sweeping the temple floor, as he was sweeping a student came up to him and asked in shock:"master why are you sweeping dirt onto the buddha, what would he think".
the master then spat at the statue and replied: "he wouldn't think anything, he's just a statue"

Quotes:

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Edan, OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago #185129 by OB1Shinobi
im stepping out of this conversation for now

im finding myself becoming offensive towards others

thank you steamboat for the engaging topic :-)

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185130 by
Replied by on topic Cultural Appropriation

RyuJin wrote: benefits?....if i'm getting something because of my skin color then i'm sure as hell missing it...i'm unemployed...so my skin color isn't getting me a job....i have no healthcare coverage, so my skin color isn't getting me medicaid/medicare or any other benefit, i'm sitting in pain from pancreatitis and can't get it treated....my skin color isn't helping me there....from my experience and observations around where i live the minorities are getting more benefits than i am...

I don't want to diminish your suffering because that's not what I'm trying to do, but I would suggest this article on white privilege ( link ). Here ( link ) is the essay referenced in the article which has relevance to more than you, but all white people reading this thread.

RyuJin wrote:

A few? We're talking about genocide. We're talking about the forceful capture and relocation of hundreds of thousands of people. We're talking about an almost complete annihilation of people's way of life. That wasn't just a few individuals, that was one people exterminating another

umm...that was not all white people....that was a large number yes...but not all....

You're right, not all white people committed acts of genocide, but all white people benefited and still benefit from it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi