Sharing a locker room with a transgender

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184507 by
Simply put. I would not want a transgender guy turned "Girl" in the locker room of my five and four year old daughters. Period. And if I had son's id say the reverse as well. If I had it my way id make locker rooms all private and lockable. You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests.

I wish the world could be much more trust worthy, and I do all I can to know what environment my kids are in, but no matter how vigilant you are....you just never know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184510 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests. .

Surly you're not call transgenders creeps are you?

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #184511 by steamboat28

Kitsu Tails wrote: You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests.

The problem I have with this level of paranoia (and it is paranoia) is that it literally has no logical end. There is no point where you can draw a line and say "people pretend to be transgendered to creep on little girls, but nobody pretends to be an ice-cream salesman or a lifeguard or a babysitter to do the same." If you're going to be rational about it, be wholly rational about it. If you're not, admit you're not being rational at all.

So much of this thread has been torches and pitchforks for something that is so highly unlikely, yet you're willing to impinge on other peoples' freedoms because you're afraid that statistical anomaly will most definitely happen to your child in particular should something like this be allowed.

I know this is anecdotal evidence, and therefore not statistically significant, but most of the honest-to-goodness, ought-to-be-locked-up-and-beaten, kiddie-creepers I've ever met have been straight women. Keeping transwomen out of your locker rooms isn't going to stop that kind of thing. And yet, if you're even half-assed parenting, things like that aren't going to happen to your kids from strangers anyhow. What you really have to worry about is people you aren't considering, since some reports put a full 70% of child molestation at the hands of an immediate family member or a very, very close friend of the family. In essence, that evidence tells me that family changing rooms aren't the answer either, if we're determined our kids are going to get violated in public changing places.

I will never, ever not be amazed at the way "think of the children!" is never, ever, about thinking about the children.

For example, what if your child is transgendered? Does that change your opinion on where they should be allowed to change, or is everyone out to get them equally?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 1 month ago #184512 by Breeze el Tierno

Kitsu Tails wrote: You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests.

This logic gets thrown into many arguements. I get it, I think. There will always be a pervert or a murderer. There will always be someone out to game the system. There will always be some form or dangerous deviant (as opposed to harmless deviants like us ;) ) out there. It is a statistical certainty. Will there be some sexual predator pretending to be a transgendered person in order to go into an otherwise inaccessible locker room? I suppose there must be at least one.

Here's the thing: beyond what I regard as a reasonable vigilance with regard to the safety of my person, loved ones, and environment, I do not live my life in terms of these people. I am aware that the workd can be dangerous, and I take what I regard to be appropriate precautions, but I do not live my life in fear of the rare human monster. I outright refuse to do it.

I am aware of human monsters. I have met one or two, and I have made the necessary changes to stay safe. But I refuse to surrender my reason or peace of mind to that kind of fear.

Also, we are talking about transgendered people in semi-private locker rooms. How did the conversation even get here? And when did the chance of an accidental glance at someone's junk become a trauma by itself?
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 month ago #184513 by Jestor
Id like to comment to all, thank you for keeping it civilized...

That is all... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd, Kit, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #184515 by steamboat28
And, since it was literally just mentioned again on another social media site I frequent, I wanted to ask the thread's opinion on the #occupotty photos:

I mean, really, which of these two would you feel more comfortable sharing a changing facility with your daughter?

Or, alternatively, what if this were your child ?

[img

The original tweet contains the caption "Do you think she would be safe in the men's bathroom?"
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.

More
9 years 1 month ago #184527 by Kit
You know, when this thread started my first reaction honestly was "ew, I don't want to see that. Male parts should use the male locker room..." but the more I read and the more I thought about it, the less it makes sense. I found I don't want to see male parts because I was raised extremely conservative and the body was a dirty thing. And that still lingers.

I'm not wholly comfortable seeing female parts either. But both are MY discomfort and that shouldn't be the final say. Then I thought about a fellow locker room user's discomfort. About if I was a transgender person using either room and how I may feel. I failed miserably in that exercise... Because I really have nothing to compare that experience to. But I felt a lot of anxiety and discomfort trying to conform.

Then I thought about the child issue. I thought about my daughter being in a locker room with me. I realized that I didn't want to raise her with the same judgments as I was. I want her to have a different view of the human body. One where it's not Taboo. I want her to have compassion for other people in all forms.

Honestly, I can't say I wouldn't be uncomfortable or a little freaked out if a woman accidently displayed parts I wasn't expecting to see, but I honestly can't find a good argument to stand on to force a transgender person to use the locker room of the gender they don't associate with.

And after seeing the images Steamboat posted I think I'd be more freaked out over a man walking into a bathroom or locker room haha.

:) I guess I'm not as far along in my self-improvement openheartedness as I thought
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 1 month ago #184530 by steamboat28

Kamizu wrote: :) I guess I'm not as far along in my self-improvement openheartedness as I thought

Honestly, I think you are. The fact that you took the time to break it down proves that you're making positive progress in the direction you seem to want to be going. I don't consider that a failure on any level at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184535 by
I may be one of the most paranoid people I know (sit facing doors, concealed carry license, can't maintain eye contact because I look around, etc, etc) but I don't think that the threat level is going to go up if I know that transgender people are allowed in the facilities that they identify with. Assuming that it does is assuming that transgender people are inherintly more dangerous.

I know that part of the argument is that men will dress like women to gain access under that rule, but there are plenty of stories of men (and women) going where they don't belong regardless of how they're dressed. It happened several times at my college while I was there. Men were caught in stalls in the women's restrooms trying to take pics with their phones under the stall walls. They didn't dress like women to fool anyone, they just walked in.

Why does allowing transgender people to live their lives they way they want increase that chance?

More
9 years 1 month ago #184538 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote:

Kamizu wrote: :) I guess I'm not as far along in my self-improvement openheartedness as I thought

Honestly, I think you are. The fact that you took the time to break it down proves that you're making positive progress in the direction you seem to want to be going. I don't consider that a failure on any level at all.

I don't consider it a failure, the realization of "it's ok" just took me a lot longer than I would have expected it to is all :) I guess it's not a bad thing to realize I have more to learn haha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi