Sharing a locker room with a transgender

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184539 by
Because something is "disgusting" is perhaps the worst reason one can give for why someone shouldn't be allowed to do a particular thing. Such excuses are based solely on prejudice. If someone doesn't like watching gay people kiss should gay people be banned from kissing in public? If you think eating a particular type of food is disgusting should we ban the eating of that type of food?

If you don't like looking at particular genitalia in locker rooms should we ban that genitalia from the locker room?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk5eHwVNdiM

Kitsu wrote: You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests.

What if? What if what? What if a particular occurrence might happen at some time? Do you send your children to school? Well assuming your children are at school for at least 15 years, a quick glance of this tells me that there have been 142 school shootings since 2000 in the US.

There are thousands of "what ifs" that you have to account for if you want to be safe and you will be paralysed to inaction if you try to protect yourself from all of them.

Thinking that the anomoly is the most common case is just an irrational fear.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184548 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote: You simply do not know what creep is roaming around pretending for their own sick interests.

The problem I have with this level of paranoia (and it is paranoia) is that it literally has no logical end.

In your opinion :) Thank you for sharing.

I am mother. Just yesterday a friend of mine, his son, the same age as my youngest daughter of 4 years old. Was just found being molested the other day (4 days ago) at his school.

Call it whatever you like. But I say it is not paranoia. It is not fear. It is simply a mother being cautious and aware. My kids still go to school. My kids still get the same influances as every other kid that goes to school. My kids still learn about the respect of there own body...and the bodies of others.

I quite simply gave my opinion. Don't like it? No problem. I am not judging you...no need for you to judge me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184549 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: I quite simply gave my opinion. Don't like it? No problem. I am not judging you...no need for you to judge me.

But you are judging people who you don't know as child molesters and I will judge you for refusing to examine your prejudices and irrational fears. Does molestation happen? Of course it does, nobody is denying that. What we are saying is that your fear of your child being molested is being conflated with transgender people's need to use a locker room or bathroom that matches what they identify as. That is simply not okay. Your opinion doesn't exist in vacuum. Your opinion reflects a larger problem that people, like yourself, have refused to examine with any rational scrutiny.

Meanwhile, there are a number of documented cases (including FBI statistics) that show that transgender people are sexually and physically assaulted in bathrooms and locker rooms. Your unexamined fear contributes to the societal bias that makes these assaults possible. Your opinion is not innocuous, it is toxic.

More
9 years 1 month ago #184552 by Zenchi

Your opinion is not innocuous, it is toxic.

To a few, probably. To the majority of tax payers who have children, not so much...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #184553 by

Zenchi wrote:

Your opinion is not innocuous, it is toxic.

To a few, probably. To the majority of tax payers who have children, not so much...

It's almost like you didn't bother to read that sentence in context!

Let's try that again. Here's what you cut out:

Meanwhile, there are a number of documented cases (including FBI statistics) that show that transgender people are sexually and physically assaulted in bathrooms and locker rooms. Your unexamined fear contributes to the societal bias that makes these assaults possible. Your opinion is not innocuous, it is toxic.

Context is everything.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

More
9 years 1 month ago #184554 by Zenchi
Negative, I read it....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184555 by
Though I am willing to bet that the number of transgender individuals assulted in changing areas/bathrooms is far greater than the number of assults perpatrated by transgender individuals. This makes the fear of them causing problems in those areas statistically invalid.

When it comes to children, anytime they're alone or in an area that makes them vulnerable (which is anywhere for a child) we should be cautious. But being extra cautious around transgender people is unneccessary and only makes the next generation just as prejudiced as this one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184556 by

Zenchi wrote: Negative, I read it....

Yet you still choose to ignore documented assaults (Google it if you don't believe me) in favor of irrational fear? Why?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 1 month ago #184557 by Brenna
Its not about transgender specifically, but I thought the sentiment was rather apt for this thread.

Attachment h77e348e.jpg not found

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184558 by

Goken wrote: Though I am willing to bet that the number of transgender individuals assulted in changing areas/bathrooms is far greater than the number of assults perpatrated by transgender individuals. This makes the fear of them causing problems in those areas statistically invalid.

Can you show me incidents of transgender people assaulting people in the bathroom/locker room?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi