What is TOTJO?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165720 by
Replied by on topic What is TOTJO?
I bet there is a solution to all this if we stay focused on what we have in common rather than bickering about our differences.

Words like: open, learning, socializing, genuine, unguarded, refuse, support, public, tolerant, humility, compashionate, acceptance,nice person, acepting, like minded, diverse, engage, open, shelter

seem like the right words.

Words like: define, tight, offend, exclude, exclusive, private, terrable, keep out, riff-raff, us-not-you, eletism, intolerence, destructive, disruptive, opposiet, seperate place, abuse

don't seem like the right words.

I wrote down the words as I read through this inane thread. Look at what all of you are saying? Certainly diversity there but where is the tolerence and acceptance?

I'm suggesting you think/reflect on the above words and CHILL OUT!

Play nice or go away!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165721 by
I understand that I am new and have not reached any sort of rank here but to me this is a tricky subject. Are Jedi elite? well, yes, in their own right. Sure it is not right to speak with someone and say you are not worthy of being a Jedi but isn;t that what training is for? If someone completes the training to the satifaction of the council this thery can be Jedi. Members area? Sure as along at there is a public open area to interect with newcomers. If the whole thing was closed off I think I lot of people would leave.

On the subject of being smarter than other.... Aren't we all in one way or another? We have all had different levels of training in different areas. My experience in electrical/ Mechanical repair may make me smarter than others in that area but not in all things. That is where interaction and learning from others comes into play. We all have something to learn from one another even if we don't admit it.
Just my grain of sand on the beach.
Peace my friends.

More
9 years 6 months ago #165722 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What is TOTJO?
In the mythology Jedi are known to use their knowledge of the force to control the weak minded. This is a perfectly acceptable approach so long as it is for the greater good and no lasting harm comes from it.

No one has carte blanche when it comes to using other people, however. It is circumstantial and should be a last resort.

By no means should this imply I am not thankful for such people.

A wise Daimyo would assign the position of executioner to the samurai who was most uncomfortable with killing needlessly. In this way, he could be assured it would only be done when absolutely necessary. He would actively avoid assigning this job to a samurai who was proud of his ability to kill efficiently.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165723 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: Words like: open, learning, socializing, genuine, unguarded, refuse, support, public, tolerant, humility, compashionate, acceptance,nice person, acepting, like minded, diverse, engage, open, shelter

seem like the right words.

Words like: define, tight, offend, exclude, exclusive, private, terrable, keep out, riff-raff, us-not-you, eletism, intolerence, destructive, disruptive, opposiet, seperate place, abuse

Interesting but doesn't our training teach that you cannot have open without closed? Destructive without constructive?
Balance is a fragile thing at times. Something that nature constantly works at. Shouldn't we?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165725 by

Interesting but doesn't our training teach that you cannot have open without closed? Destructive without constructive?
Balance is a fragile thing at times.

It's not my training, I'm a guest but you got my point and I yours. My suggestion is to reflect and find the much need balance in this discussion. I'm not seeeing much constructive in this thread yet.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165726 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic What is TOTJO?

rugadd wrote: No one has carte blanche when it comes to using other people, however. It is circumstantial and should be a last resort.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Are we not all trying, in some way, to manipulate someone on a daily basis? Tell our kids to brush their teeth or they'll all fall out; beg our boss for extra time off because you have a family affair to attend; bargain with schoolteachers to give someone a second chance; convince your friend not to let you go to that concert alone..? The entire common, contemporary mating ritual of Homo sapiens is based around the calculated release of information in a trickle just quick enough to keep interest, but slow enough not to scare the potential mate away. Everything we do--every time we interact with another human being--is a manipulation.

Think of the words you use after a hard day. Do you tell everyone "I'm fine" or are you honest with them? Why did you choose the answer you chose? Is it different for different people? Did you know the effect your choice would have on the conversation, on them? Manipulation is never circumstantial. It is a byproduct of existence.

Best, then, to understand how it works so we can apply it to the greatest benefit, rather than doing it accidentally and risking exacerbating poor situations.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Amaya

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 6 months ago #165728 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic What is TOTJO?

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Balance is a fragile thing at times.

It's not my training, I'm a guest but you got my point and I yours. My suggestion is to reflect and find the much need balance in this discussion. I'm not seeeing much constructive in this thread yet.

Keep looking....

I see plenty... Quite a bit of progress Id say...:)

Forest through the trees perhaps?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Brenna,

More
9 years 6 months ago #165729 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is TOTJO?
What is TOTJO?
My temple is here. Where i grow is here. Where i find people of like mind, here. I understand that we are all human and we are all on our difrent paths in life. I take pride in being a part of the small circles in this place!. I love the fact that we all look at things diffrently and rather than try to tare downt i will strive to build up. Please continue to post and put in the forums the thought you truly have for it is beacuese of these actions these free will forums that ti learn. My mind is never closed to any light any one has a, on the contrary any light is usfull wether it be red blue white or green or even gray! On behalf of my family and my self i say thank you to the Temple its leaders and its members for the help in the path i now take.
CARLOS

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165732 by
What is TOTJO to me?

(I feel like I'm responding to a corny video documentary. :lol: )

When I first came here it was just a place of learning and spiritual growth, the latter was something very missing in my life. As I learned and grew and became comfortable here it became a place to socialize. Although when I say socialize I don't mean in a "what'd you think of the game last night" kind of way, but in a slightly deeper way. Here I can socialize about the the Force means to everyone. My friends, that's a little too deep for them except on certain occasions.

It is whatever I want it to be. If I don't want it to be socializing I don't socialize, if I don't want to learn, well I probably wouldn't be here, but maybe I'd just stay in the chat all day.

One of my favorite ideas is that you get out what you put in. Let's make sure we put something great here. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165739 by
In responding to the details of the OP's opening statements, it was based on a troubling pm sent from another member. It is concerning what the purpose of TOTJO is. The following is what I believe it is: First, lets look at what this place is. It's a "Jedi Temple", used for people to eventually become Jedi through training by a training master. Now, that does not mean that there can only be training, and no socializing between members. Socializing is a way to foster training and education. It is also good to have fellowship between our brothers and sisters. So I see nothing wrong with socializing. My problem based on what the message in the OP said is about the ones that have no interest in becoming Jedi, who constantly insight hateful remarks, thread derailment, etc in our attempts to socializing with our fellow Jedi brother and sisters. I personally have no idea why they would be here, if they do not even have any interest in becoming a Jedi. Take for example my former Christian views, it would be like if I attended all of the sermons, masses, etc at a Jewish Temple, or attended the gathering's at a Muslim Mosque, while being Christian, and have no need, want, or desire to convert to the other religion. That all I was doing there was causing disruption, arguing with the parishioners there stating their beliefs are wrong and mine was correct.

I have no qualms with people who come for enlightenment, or would like to learn more about what we Jedi believe, or would like to become one. What I do have a problem with is people who come here, that have no wants or desires to do any of the sort, and are only here to cause disruption and chaos to our peaceful Temple. In reading this please keep in mind TOTJO (IN MY OPINION) is a religious "place", used for personal development and enlightenment, in correlation with exploring the Jedi Beliefs, not for pure socialization, or debates (Again, socializing is fine, and I have no problem with it. I believe it can foster greater ties and fellowship with our other Jedi Brothers and Sisters, and can even increasing our understanding of other views that we might not have had knowledge before the "debate" or "socializing" took place). However, if those people I was speaking of, in their defense will say their only reason for being here is just to socialize and not to cause mischief, etc, well. This is the 21st Century. There are plenty of other means to socialize etc then disrupting people's educational, and religious growth.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi