Jedi Pyramid

More
11 years 1 week ago #103597 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Jedi Pyramid
All good points- where were you when I was needing an editor during my previous english composition classes? :P Lol. Seriously, thank you Akkarin. ^^

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 week ago #103617 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Pyramid
Hehehe :)

I would clarify that when I said about brackets, I don't think it is necessary to have any of that stuff within them, just remove in entirety. The reason being is that you have made those things inclusive already within the paragraph so having them listed seem superfluous...

More
11 years 1 week ago #103669 by Alethea Thompson
When I posted the lastest at ToTJF and to the UJC I actually did get rid of them. I figured I'd wait for the next revisions before I posted the changes again. :)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119949 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid

Alethea Thompson wrote: This is the same problem across the boards. Kitsu (bless her heart) wants everyone to be able to meet impractical standards. All Jedi need to be Lifeguard certified (because she knows a Jedi that saved the life of a little boy from drowning due to his training), all Jedi must be able to run 3 miles (because her husband had to in the cold winter snow to get gas for the car while a friend stayed there freezing but really couldn't go very far because of her wedding clothes), all Jedi must learn a Martial Art (because the Jedi in the movies learned them-admittedly until I picked up the Jedi Path I was pretty much set on this one myself...so I guess Star Wars material did do some good and helped me change my mind), all Jedi must take up another physical art such as Gymnastics or Yoga to keep themselves limber (honestly, I'm not 100% sure why she put that one in), all Jedi must also be able to pass a PT test (which is taken over the course of everyday for a full month)...need I go on how expansive she wants the standards to become? I think by now you get the point on how much this is racking up in ridiculousness.

Sorry for the thread Necromancy, but this thread was brought to my attention and I had to comment.

Alethea, you call those ridiculous? Impractical? I don't even see it as difficult. Even mediocre training could satisfy those requirements. If you're intimidated by having to run a paltry 3 miles and know first aid, then you may want to engage in some serious introspection and figure out why that is. If the jedi path doesn't aspire to greatness and excellence, then it's really no wonder that it's not taken seriously.

More
10 years 6 months ago #119954 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Jedi Pyramid
That's why surgeons, scientists, artists, etc are judged by how many miles they can run.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119959 by
Its given that jedi should meditate. If exercise is a powerful form of meditation why isn't it common with jedi?

With that said there shouldnt be a test on the excercises because ability in excercising isnt a marker for ability to help and be a jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119960 by

That's why surgeons, scientists, artists, etc are judged by how many miles they can run.

I'm sure there's plenty who can -- can you not? Of course, none of those career choices have much in the way of a physical component to their vocation. If they did, I'm sure they'd value basic fitness, too. Or is the lesson that the Jedi is not a physical path at all, just one of rhetoric, theory, and faux-sagacious posts?

Running is a fairly common (low) benchmark of physical fitness; generally scorned by the frumpy and out of shape.

More
10 years 6 months ago #119962 by Alethea Thompson
Yes I do, and so did a number of other people which read those very threads.

Let me tell you what some of those very people said-people which know Kit PERSONALLY: A number of them pointed out that in order for your wife to enforce such, she would have to be able to accomplish it. Many of those same people pointed out that not only is she not capable of doing these things at the moment, but they have not seen her work towards these very goals.

If she wants to see this sort of standard put forth, more power to her and whatever Jedi joins her. I know of a few people (on this board actually) which strive for excellence, and would not engage in half the standards that Kit outlined- and at least one of them could probably lay you out.

Excellence isn't measured by the amount of training you do, but what you do with that training once you have it. It's like training to do pyrokinesis your entire life, when you finally find yourself face-to-face with a house on fire in your final years and you are able to save two lives because you can part flames finally. But that fire-fighter saved more lives in one year after practical training than you did training multitudes of years in pyrokinesis. If there is nothing practical behind it for your day-to-day life, then there is no reason to engage in the act.

Mediocre Training DOES NOT satisfy Kit's training regime (which is a bit longer than this)- because she puts far too much into it the process. But I've seen how hard it is for people to just pass a PT test in the Army- and not for lack of trying. Kit's standards are not only superior to the military standards as a whole- but way too unnecessary.

Life Guard, even the person that she used to explain why she felt it was important didn't see the value in every Jedi being certified as a Life Guard. Many barely see the value in being trained in First Aide because the likelihood of them needing to respond to such is minimal.

Are they ridiculous? Yes, yes they are, and that is coming from someone that can actually accomplish all of the standards she had outlined. AND I happen to WANT to become certified in water rescue (it's actually something I hope I can get if I get in the Coast Guard)- but I recognize the difference between practical and impractical- and what she has outlined is IMPRACTICAL.

That said, Mindas, I appreciate your willingness to come in here and defend Kitsu, but she needs to defend herself. I get the dynamics between you two- but really this isn't your fight, it's hers.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119972 by

A number of them pointed out that in order for your wife to enforce such, she would have to be able to accomplish it.

I believe I was one of the people who said that. And I think that goes for anyone that will attempt to hold others to a standard.

If you cant do what you would ask of others, then you have no business expecting them to respect the notion of the standard, or the one asking it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #119977 by

Epictetus wrote: “Don't explain your philosophy. Embody it.”

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi