Jedi Pyramid

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101556 by Alethea Thompson
DISCLAIMER: Given what I know of the community, I have no doubt that this will become highly controversial. But I am going to make the attempt anyway. For years we have had discussion after discussion about what it means to be a Jedi, we've talked about standardized training, how to achieve the Jedi Path within our lives, and you know what- I'm going to try a direction that Opie attempted with the Jedi Circle. THIS is my version of a document which I hope will aide in giving someone a direction to help them become a Jedi. I started with Force Academy this week. Now that I've hammered out the problems the original had, I'm taking it to the communitnity to discuss and help me refine it. It is my hope that the community might look at this as something to help give direction in training and a clear idea of what it takes to become a Jedi. I am well aware that ToTJO may be the most difficult to get this passed. But I can't just not make an attempt. Please review the following document and give me feedback.

Alright, here it goes. This is a work in progress, so what ends up happening to it in the end (the name of the document might get changed, the titles expanded on, additions, subtractions, etc) but here is the bottomline- I'm starting with the debates here.

Contrary to what you might believe, while this document was inspired by the Jedi Circle, the name just sort of happened. The top tier of the Pyramid has a tacky name (Nathan and I discussed this, but neither of us could come up with a better title, sooooo if someone has a better idea please throw it out there...otherwise we're stuck with “Our Truth”), but it is hardly concrete. In fact, much of this isn't concrete. As I explained in my training holocron, this is meant to replace the Jedi Circle because I keep getting the same reactions from people- It really doesn't give you a good idea of what it means to be a Jedi. It's a model which could be applied to a number of different paths with a few Star Wars references.

Why are there 6 lines? Well, the structure sort of came about by accident, and originally I was going to make it 7 lines because the last line (Virtuess) had “Altruism” added to it. After consideration, I realized that Altruism was already covered by “Duty to the People” in the previous line of “Ethics”. As such, some of the lines might seem lacking, but are covered by other areas. Such as the missing “Conquer Fear” that I had consider putting under the third line of “Conquer”, which is covered under “Fortitude” in the “Virtues” area. While I started coming up with concepts, it was a complete accident that they came up in the numbers they did. Once I recognized the pattern, I simply organized it this way. Adding a seventh line (which was the original intent) became too difficult to accomplish without it becoming over-the-top, and really after reviewing The Jedi Circle, The Jedi Jewels Series, The Jedi Path, and the Kharis Document (that's one many of you probably don't know about, but in time you will- whenever Charles decides to post more information on it) and a document I was looking to produce about a year ago, I couldn't find enough to warrant another line. For that matter, I couldn't find enough to even start the line.

As it was pointed out to me, though, six isn't such a bad number. In mathematics and sacred geometry, six is considered a perfect number because the sum of it's integral factors, excluding itself, is equal to itself (1+2+3=6). Anyways, here it goes, feel free to critique it. The goal is to sum up what it takes to live the Jedi Path and the responsibilities within it, so if it misses it mark, please explain why you feel it does and what suggestions you have to fix the problem.

Introduction

As you read through the pyramid, remember that all parts are required to make up the Jedi. It is a loose outline of how you can achieve the Jedi Path within your life, and gives you a variety of avenues to cultivate it. You may notice, however, that a lot of this works from the top down, rather than from the bottom up. It is sometimes said that we keep our heads in the clouds, but in order to be fully focused, a person must be grounded in the path. Therefore, instead of climbing up, your goal will be to climb down and find your center here on the Earth.

Our Truth

The Force- Central to the Jedi belief system is “the Force”. This concept has a wide variety of interpretations ranging from the scientific concept of energy to religious terms such as “Holy Spirit” and “Qi”. “The Force” is a loosely adapted term to explain a something which all cultures agree exist, but disagree on exactly what it is. As such, a Jedi dedicates themselves to understanding of all things within and through “the Force”. We will always come to our own conclusions as to what that means, and how we interact with it. As an unwritten rule, no Jedi can set down in law a concrete definition of “the Force” for all to follow, only for themselves.

Know Thyself

Self Awareness- A Jedi is aware of their flaws and what gets them ticking. It is not until we build our self awareness that we are able to move forward and cultivate the rest of the Jedi Path.

Self Certainty- A Jedi is aware of their flaws and what gets them ticking. It is not until we build our self awareness that we are able to move forward and cultivate the rest of the Jedi Path. Self awareness goes hand in hand with the concept of self honesty. In this a Jedi must be constantly looking inward for their motivations, their directions, what moves them, and why they allow it to do so. Without this personal understanding, we risk falling prey to our own emotional direction rather than the path laid down by the Code we adhere to.

Conquer

Aggression- To build on the Jedi Virtues, a Jedi must keep themselves open to the world. Through the misuse of aggression, they miss out on opportunities to further their cause. This does not preclude being assertive. A Jedi needs to learn to find the most effective means of resolving a conflict through the least bit of hostility possible.

Recklessness- A Jedi does not take unnecessary risks, knowing that their life is important to the Jedi Mission of bettering the world around them. A Jedi concerns themselves also with the safety of those around them in making decisions weighing all risks in any given situation. In conquering recklessness as Jedi we must always seek to do the most good while causing the least harm with our actions.

Attachments-This one may be the most misunderstood concept within the path. Conquering your attachments is not about getting rid of all your possessions or even denouncing your family, instead this is about forward movement. For some, their attachments paralyze them when they loose something or someone. In conquering your attachments, you are acknowledging what value these things have to you, and you recognize that there comes a time when you should no longer fight for your attachments, and you must let go. For a Jedi conquering Attachments can extend to bad habits, unhealthy obsessions, and connections to people that make us less who we have chosen to be.

Disciplines

All of these are disciplines must be cultivated in some way, you will note that they do not necessarily have to be separate concepts, and may often cross over into another discipline section.

Defense Art- In the fiction, Jedi were “guardians of peace” (“Jedi Code”, n.d.). As real life Jedi, we acknowledge that this means defending people. A “Defense Art” is not necessarily physical in nature, it can be through speech, writing, diplomacy or a number of other options which lead to an active method of curing the world of oppression. An example might be legislation which a government passes to build a better world, Martin Luther King speaking out against the evils of racism, or even the writings of prominent media personalities to bring about awareness of atrocities ongoing around the world. Combative defense arts, however, are also encouraged.

Physical Art- A physical art may be overlooked given the right circumstance (e.g. having a serious disability which prevents you from any movement). However, if a Jedi has some or all mobility, they should seek a physical art (Martial Arts, Yoga, Ballet, Weight Lifting, Running, etc) which keeps them them in shape and focuses on maintaining discipline of their bodies. Part of the physical art, which can be observed by all Jedi regardless of their mobility, is health. A Jedi should eat right, and maintain their health to the best of their ability (it is understandable if you have legitimate medical issues preventing “perfect health”).

Scholarly Art- A Jedi should seek out skills that provide benefit to them and the world around them. This could range from herbology to diplomatic training and work within the U.N. The search for knowledge is a precept of the Jedi core foundations and a Jedi never stops learning, seeking knowledge, and bettering their skills.

Spiritual Art- Meditation is a required part of the Spiritual Arts, however it does not have to stop there. Many in the Jedi Community have taken their Jedi Practice beyond meditation and learned to use other systems which interact with “the Force” to enhance their ability to help others. Some have taken the time to become shamans, hypnotherapists, priests and other such endeavors.

Core Ethics

Loyalty to the Jedi Code- This has a few different variants depending on what order a Jedi attends. All of them, however, are based on either the Anderson Code or the Skywalker Code. A Jedi is bound by the code, but not to the Jedi Order. By relinquishing your loyalties to the order, a government or some divine guiding force (not necessarily “the Force”) you are able to keep your actions in check through the moral integrity of the Jedi Path outlined in the Jedi Code. It is important that a Jedi checks their own order's code against the original codes (Anderson and Skywalker Codes) before they adopt their order's code.

Duty to the People- A Jedi's mission is to support their community through service. This service can be taken in many different (legal) directions, such as becoming a lawyer, an activist, a politician, police officer, volunteer for community efforts or an array of projects aimed at giving back to the community. A Jedi is also charged with acting when they see an injustice (which might be as simple as making a phone call to the police, or taking the time to listen to someone in their time of need- stranger or not). A Jedi does what is within their means, but the main point is that they must always act in an objective manner.

Respect the Law-A Jedi knows enough of the law to operate within it. Jedi are charged to live by the laws of the land they are in, even if it means tolerating those laws which they do not support. This does not preclude them from seeking to change the law (which may or may not include becoming part of or even starting a revolution-when no other options are available) to better the community, in fact- if a Jedi feels compelled to do so it is a respectable mission for a Jedi to fulfill.

Defense, Not Assault- Jedi are not vigilantes. For the purpose of this ethic, it is important that a Jedi know what the legal definitions covering assault are for the area they are in. “Assault” is a much different concept than “attack”- if in the position of a defender (given the right legal circumstances) attacking someone with the minimal amount of force necessary is covered within a Jedi's “Duty to the People”.

Usage of “The Force”-A Jedi chooses to use the Force primarily for knowledge and defense. This meanings that actions concerning the Force should use the least impacting and damaging method available when possible. A Jedi seeks to solve situations first with knowledge, secondly with weaker Force be it a minor physical discouragement or a minor spiritual defense, and so on until escalation leaves no other options. In this, forgive the pun, we find ourselves using a specific format of Escalation of Force.

Virtues

Ideals outlined in the Jedi Code can be summed up in a few simple virtues which a member of the path should be expected to uphold. The are as follows-

Tolerance- You do not need to agree with someone's religion, their nationality, their career choice, their dress or anything else for that matter. Tolerance is not about acceptance, it is about showing respect for the freedom of a persons choices and to respect their choices, until it reaches a point in which a reasonable person would consider the individual's actions as a/an (emotionally, spiritually, financially, and/or physically) abusive threat to you or another person.

Our belief in “the Force” describes how closely intertwined we all are, but also how our differences create a wonderful and diverse world. In order to allow our differences to cultivate learning experiences, a Jedi must come to a point where they are able to show respect towards others by allowing them to live life the way they want to.

Responsibility- There is a difference between excuses and reasons: “Your Honor, I felt threatened for my life and in the process of trying to subdue my attacker, his life was lost.” Too often, though, people like to turn all of their mistakes into cause and effect circumstances. Actions are for the individual to internalize and learn from. A responsible individual says “Yes, I did do this, and I accept the consequences” regardless of a whether the action is positive or negative.
A Jedi should be held responsible for all of their actions. Responsibility is at the heart of learning to overcome our problems. Without it, we cannot grow, we cannot help others and we cannot justify why we are to be taken seriously.

Discipline- In order to walk the Jedi Path, you need to live by your training and by the philosophy of the Light. This requires self discipline. It is your responsibility to continue your growth throughout the rest of your life. Even while you are training with a mentor or taking a course at an order, it is discipline that will get you through to your knighthood and later on your masterhood. You get out of life only what self-discipline and effort you put into it.

Fortitude- For many Jedi this word may be replaced by “Courage”. “Fortitude”, however, is selected because it deals directly with the one's will to press forward in more than just the face of danger. It is your strength to carry on regardless of how bad a situation gets. It shows that you are not willing to give up until your last breath. For me, at least, it is important to know that a Jedi represents this will in the face of danger and/or external or internal conflict.

Integrity- Integrity is about doing what is legally and morally right. Jedi should hold themselves to a high standard, knowing that what they do when no one is looking is just as important as what they do when people are looking. As a mentor, I may not know that you did not turn in a purse with $100 inside to the police department, but you will. If you only do the right thing because others are watching you, you miss the point of being a Light Adept.

Objectivity- Objectivity relates directly with how you perceive the world around you. A Jedi takes in as much information as they possibly can regarding a situation, analyzes it and then draws a conclusion. This virtue helps immensely with making decisions and in conflict resolution. Being objective is the heart and soul of a core line out of Anderson's Jedi Code “There is no ignorance, there is knowledge” (“Jedi Code”, n.d.).

References:

Jedi Code. (n.d.). Wookiepedia. Retrieved March 29, 2013 from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101564 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
While I can see what you are writing..

WHat is the point?

Are you trying to get this accepted by all Jedi sites?

If this is "statement toward all", you might want to remove your personal expectations, and references to being a "light adept"...

I also have other suggestions, more particularly about some wordings...

It would appear you are trying to get us all to agree on this, so that we all (all Jedi sites) would adopt this.. As that's how I read your words of, "TOTJO may be the most difficult to get this passed"

As stated by you, defining the force is individual, so is the exact definition occasion Jedi, no?

But first, what is your point? We can debate the rest after this question is answered...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101570 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
I think we already cover all of this in our doctrine + jediism maxims. And since the maxims are set to become part of the doctrine, i too fail to see the point.

This is nothing new for us.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101576 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
What is a Light Adept?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101578 by
I too find this controversial. Rabblerabblerabble.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101579 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid

Wendaline wrote: What is a Light Adept?

They're sort of the opposite of vampires: at night, they have to sleep in tanning beds. :silly:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zanthan Storm, , rugadd, Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101580 by
Wouldn't that just be a reverse vampire then? I'm confused.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101585 by
We Vampyres call them "goodie too shoos"...

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #101589 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
Rabblerabblerabblerabble...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #101599 by
:laugh: Rabble! Rabble!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi