Rants far and wide

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202906 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

ren wrote:

CryojenX wrote:

ren wrote: Transwomen who threaten men with violence and public shaming should face fair trial and receive an appropriate sentence.1

1 I say this after reading someone's very grotesque comment while browsing totjo last night.

It would be nice if trans women who don't commit crimes at all could get a fair trial, however I do agree with your statement.

Correction it'd be nice if everyone got a fair trial. It just takes one unfair instance to make the whole system unfair.

Not a correction. It would be nice if no crimes were committed by anyone ever, thereby forgoing the need of a trial (I can play your silly game too if need be). I replied to your post about trans women receiving a fair trial. Simply because I single trans women out for a single post does not mean I have such limited mental capacity to be unable to grasp the concept of equality under the law for everyone, and to assume otherwise is a ridiculous assumption to make. That mindset reeks of the person who does nothing but correcting people's grammar and spelling, and is rarely ever productive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202910 by
There is a lot of hate here.

Was the purpose of been a jedi not to control our fears and hate?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202911 by
I was just about to ask why this thread even exists.

rant‌ (rănt)
‌v.‌ ‌rant·ed‌, ‌rant·ing‌, ‌rants‌
‌v.‌‌intr.‌
To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; rave.
‌v.‌‌tr.‌
To utter or express with violence or extravagance: ‌a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.‌
‌n.‌
‌1. ‌ Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
‌2. ‌ A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence: ‌"The vast majority [of teenagers logged onto the Internet] did not encounter recipes for pipe bombs or deranged rants about white supremacy"‌ ‌(Daniel Okrent).‌
‌3. ‌ ‌Chiefly British‌ Wild or uproarious merriment.

[Probably from obsolete Dutch ranten.]

‌rant′er‌‌ n.‌
‌The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
‌rant‌ (rænt)
‌vb‌
‌1. ‌to utter (something) in loud, violent, or bombastic tones
‌2. ‌ (‌intr‌) ‌Scot‌ to make merry; frolic
‌n‌
‌3. ‌loud, declamatory, or extravagant speech; bombast
‌4. ‌‌Scot‌ a wild revel
‌5. ‌‌Scot‌ an energetic dance or its tune
[C16: from Dutch ‌ranten‌ to rave; related to German ‌ranzen‌ to gambol]
‌ˈranter‌ ‌n‌ ‌ˈranting‌ ‌adj‌, ‌n‌ ‌ˈrantingly‌ ‌adv‌
‌Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged

‌rant‌ (rænt)

‌v.i. ‌
‌ 1. ‌ to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk wildly; rave.
‌v.t. ‌
‌ 2. ‌ to utter or declaim in a ranting manner.
‌n. ‌
‌ 3. ‌ extravagant or vehement declamation.
‌ 4. ‌ a ranting speech or other utterance.
[1590–1600; < Dutch ‌ranten‌ (obsolete) to talk foolishly]
‌rant′er,‌ ‌n. ‌
‌rant′ing•ly,‌ ‌adv. ‌
‌Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary,

A rant thread seems by its very nature to be completely counter to the aims of the Temple, let alone having a rant thread and then correcting people for the hyperbole contained within, when hyperbole is one of the features of most ranting to begin with. No longer dignifying this thread with any more posts.

More
8 years 7 months ago #202912 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Rants far and wide
Actually, this thread was for venting ...

Not entirely in-congruent to Jedi principles : we have negative feelings and meditation is not the only answer to them. We do not "stink" of "Jedi" (a reference to "stinking" of Zen).

Think of it more as the 'Wailing Wall' in Jerusalem : we whine here and it is supposed to be whining with other people, not ranting at other people. We all have difficulties. Public display of them is ritualising that common ground.

The TotJO is indeed a sanctuary, but in order for it to serve as such, one has come in here to rest from the struggles of the World outside. If one brings the actual fight of the causes one champions out there in here, there is no more sanctuary.

So, ranting is fine -- DO NOT RESPOND to other peoples' rants. They are only to vent, not to debate ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Proteus, Ben, rugadd, Kit and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
8 years 7 months ago #202921 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rants far and wide
Gettin' real tired of people accusing me of things they're just as guilty of. Gettin' real tired of being ignored when I do things the "right way", and then, when I get frustrated with that, being called names and openly insulted for doing things in a way that actually gets attention. Gettin' real tired of complacency for complacency's sake, people who hate change without being able to recognize that sometimes it's necessary, hypocrisy, uptight people who claim they're laid back, and everybody being so damn touchy and getting so personally butthurt with things that literally have nothing to do with them.

If I hadn't promised people I wouldn't leave it, I'd set fire to every bridge that leads to this situation so nobody else would ever have to deal with this sheer amount of nonsense and circlejerking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202947 by

Redanketon wrote: There is a lot of hate here.

Not all of us are finished growing into the Jedi we aspire to be. :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm the one who fueled this into something it should not have been. I could have ignored it and this whole thing would have looked very differently (or maybe not, somebody else might have done something similar to what I did).

My point is: I reacted in anger and said some things that, although they made me feel better in the moment, do not reflect the "best practices" of a Jedi. So, my young friend, I thank you for reminding me where my head should be.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 7 months ago #202958 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide

Jamie Stick wrote:

Redanketon wrote: There is a lot of hate here.

Not all of us are finished growing into the Jedi we aspire to be. :laugh:

That is why I say, "We are practicing Jedi, not perfect Jedi..." :lol:

Proteus posted in the "Grateful thread, and said:

Proteus wrote: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Miscellaneous/105316-the-grateful-thread?start=130#202905

Since I've posted in the rant thread recently, it's only fair to post here

I loved that...

Because as our friend Rickie would say, "Its all about the ying-yang baby!"

We all should be as smart as Proteus on that point...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

&quot;Bake or bake not. There is no fry&quot; - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Alexandre Orion, , Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203009 by
Gotta throw my two cents in here....

I totally understand the need to vent. It is very satisfying and makes us feel better. It's natural to want to express our frustration. However, I have always believed that expressing negative emotions negatively tends to make it more likely that we will react in the same way in the future. This may or may not be true.

People will always need to blow off some steam but it is all too easy to simply leave it at that. What makes ranting valuable is that it TELLS US WHAT IS FRUSTRATING US! Anger is a sign that there is something hurting or scaring us. Anger is always secondary to some other emotion.

Because of this, ranting or venting is awesome if it leads to our discovery of what we need TO DO about the problem, or how we need to adapt to that which we cannot change. It can tell us what we need to be taking responsibility for within our own perceptions, expectations, and relationships. In this sense, even a Jedi can rant and maybe even rave, as long as it's used for good in the end and doesn't harm anyone in the process.

Lastly, I am very new here, and I apologize if I am overstepping, but I have seen a lot of name calling, sarcasm, and passive aggression displayed on this thread towards our fellow Jedi. For those engaging in this it may be a good opportunity to practice feeling the Force and strive first to understand, but that's entirely up to you. However I also believe that as soon as you are blaming someone else for something you are giving up your ability to make a change, or are putting the responsibility for change on someone else.

Rant over.....

More
8 years 7 months ago #203019 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Rants far and wide

Attachment h6980fd0.jpg not found

B. Kliban

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 7 months ago #203021 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Rants far and wide
I think the South Park episode was important. The overly politically correct people in the world aren't a good thing. Let people be offended. Say what you want about me. It is my choice to be offended by what you say or not. Freedom of speech means that nobody has the right to never hear what they don't want to hear. So let people act how they want to act, you act how you want to act, and relax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi