Rants far and wide

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #203028 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide

TheDude wrote: I think the South Park episode was important. The overly politically correct people in the world aren't a good thing. Let people be offended. Say what you want about me. It is my choice to be offended by what you say or not. Freedom of speech means that nobody has the right to never hear what they don't want to hear. So let people act how they want to act, you act how you want to act, and relax.

I agree...

However, further extrapolate that...

Call me what you like, but, I may like to be offended, so then I will retaliate... Thats my right, correct? If nothing more than to point out how rude that be taken... I am offering some constructive criticism... Not falling into the accusatory ways I feel I am seeing...

Now if I retaliate with words alone, then more than likely, you will return the volly with more words, until the first of us 'isnt playing this game' and feels like we are on the 'high road' for getting out when we did, and the other may feel like 'they won'...

There are still ways of communicating and doing things that are less offensive than others... And if you offend? freaking apologize, unless of course you are in love with your ego, and think your poop dont stink... Cause you be the jedi-y-ist jedi to ever jedi... :lol:... Otherwise, why create all that negative energy? Those nasty exchanges I bring up in the next paragraph or so, leave me wrecked... Ask some of my close friends...

But, instead of words, could be the pop in the mouth I give you... Turn around an punch you right in the kisser.... People think that laws are what keeps us all polite, and when they open there big, unthinking mouths, they have to expect an ass whooping... Becasue that guy you are talking to, may not be 'all enlightened and shit' nor looking for it.... Yea, I may get arrested, but guess what? Its a fine... And, I might find it worth $100-$500 worth of my money to teach some little jerk some manners... Decisions, decisions... :woohoo:...

Some of us, actually try to not be offensive, and only use it as a last resort... Sometimes it is the only way to get things done... Or get a point across...

Sometimes, it is just lazyness on the part of the rude person....

IN a recent thread, I was kind of, not-nice... Actually, twice recently, and yet, out of the 10K posts Ive made, and way higher number conversations, you will find probably less than 5A% were me being that way... (Id say less than .01%, as I am generally nice to even the rudest folks [think James Bond to his villian], I have no statistics for 'proof') Its not necessary, and the one I am talking to might pop me in the mouth... Or in the case of TOTJO, decide that we are all like that, and not want to stay...

tl:dr- You have the right to do and say what you want. You also have the right to live with the consequences of those decisions... Including, the Ultra PC people telling you its not PC... Dont want to hear them, dont 'offend' them... You actually control their response to a point... Think of it that way...;)

You do control some of the waves in your ocean...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Breeze el Tierno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #203030 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
Can someone define "ultra-PC" for me? Because all I can imagine is someone who, given the choice, chooses to use terminology others don't find personally offensive... which seems pretty Jedi, to me.

If you have a choice of phrases and one offends less people, why not use that one? The notion of "I'll say what I like, how I like, and I don't have to care who it hurts" seems impressively lazy and self-centred to me. Having the right to say whatever you want doesn't automatically require you to be a dick.

I believe it's the role of Jedi to cultivate harmony. Taking responsibility for the things we say and how we choose to say them is a significant part of that, it seems to me. It's hard to be diplomatic or a force for mediation when you're outraging the people you're supposedly out to help, because you didn't feel it necessary to choose the appropriate words for the situation.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 7 months ago #203043 by Jestor

tzb wrote: Can someone define "ultra-PC" for me?

Because all I can imagine is someone who, given the choice, chooses to use terminology others don't find personally offensive... which seems pretty Jedi, to me.

Ever hear the term: "no worse non-smoker than an ex-smoker"?

For those that have not, ex-smokers have this tendency to be vocal (more so than never-smokers) about the dangers, and the illnesses, and get all worked up about smoking even being around them...

I smoked for 20 years, stopped about 6-8 years ago... I was one too fora time, lol...

By 'Ultra PC', I mean the "PC Police', who are worried about you offending anyone, anywhere, at anytime... ;)

If you have a choice of phrases and one offends less people, why not use that one? The notion of "I'll say what I like, how I like, and I don't have to care who it hurts" seems impressively lazy and self-centred to me. Having the right to say whatever you want doesn't automatically require you to be a dick.

I believe it's the role of Jedi to cultivate harmony. Taking responsibility for the things we say and how we choose to say them is a significant part of that, it seems to me. It's hard to be diplomatic or a force for mediation when you're outraging the people you're supposedly out to help, because you didn't feel it necessary to choose the appropriate words for the situation.

Agreed...:)

Better said than I said it... lol... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 7 months ago #203050 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rants far and wide
someone said this to me recently

" its just part of my Jedi path to assert a higher degree of care to the rest of the society then what might be normal for the internet."

that's a snippet of a broader conversation obviously but its appropriate

ive offended people here myself and I can tell you that its not an easy thing to live down

as jedi it IS important to be aware and disciplined in how we present ourselves and how we treat others

theres a principle behind these things which is bigger than just "PC'

to my mind, "PC", or "ultra PC" is when someone ignores or even censors the meaningful and important topics or ideas because they are or can be uncomfortable to someone EVEN THOUGH they are important topics or ideas

"JERK" is when someone just takes the conversation and makes it uncomfortable because they are stuck in "conflict mode" or "I don't give a sh*t mode" or whatever

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203051 by
Jestor....I'm wondering if this conversation here should split? Its...kind of off topic from the OP's purpose. :)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 7 months ago #203052 by Jestor
I see your point, but I think this has ran its course as well...

I do personally feel like mine is/was a rant... Or as 'ranty' as I get, lol...

I dobt very much we will have to wait very long for the next, rant, unrelated to this little derail...

If Im wrong, I'll split...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203053 by
As you say *bows*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203057 by
I just interviewed a person who said the word "like" 43 times and "ya know" 38 times in a 10 minute conversation. It got, like, really annoying, ya know?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 7 months ago #203093 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Rants far and wide
When I'm only halfway through the first planet after Telos, and I've already apprenticed bao-dur and atton, got visas on the team, know about kreia/revan, and rebuilt hk-47.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203161 by
People who are far too serious that they feel new members to a community or group saying "Thank You" is 'Irrelevant' and 'non-productive' to the groups theme. :blink:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi