How do jedi view alcohol?

More
4 years 4 months ago #347671 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Fyxe wrote: Not to mention medicinal use of alcohol not only can be used to reduce stress it also helps with heart disease, stroke, and helps prevent diabetes!

The antioxidant and hormetic effects of alcohol are nullified by over consumption.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Brick, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347676 by OB1Shinobi
The health benefits of alcohol are greatly exaggerated. Theres only shallow evidence that moderate alcohol consumption improves health but theres mountains of undeniable proof that overconsumption (a highly ambiguous term, in this context) causes huge medical problems for millions of people every year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/alcohols-health-benefits-hard-to-prove-but-harms-are-easy-to-document-98813

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Brick, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #347679 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
I had half a glass of ale the other day and it was enough to dominate my normal kinesthetic attention to a category of drunkeness. Drinking the other 2 and a half glasses had little increase (except to my liver no doubt), which explains why I either drink a tiny amount or an atrocious amount :D So many more interesting things out there, which are unfortunately frowned upon by the law (often for fair reasons I guess).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
4 years 3 months ago #347693 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
Everything in moderation ;)

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347695 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

_Vergere_ wrote: Everything in moderation ;)

I don't think that is very helpful advice for people who regularly overconsume (as Ob1 pointed out, it is an ambiguos term).

It is similar to telling an obese person who regularly overeats "just trust your body" (My body is ordering 32 oreo cookies, I don't think I should trust it.)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago #347696 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
Moderation is a purposely vague term. What's totally fine for one person may be lethal to another for a variety of reasons. As with many things, it depends.

Also, let's all stop kidding ourselves and saying that we drink for health reasons. I doubt anyone here has a pharmacist's note recommending them a dosage plan of ethanol

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 3 months ago #347699 by Carlos.Martinez3
I can admit

I do not drink for health reasons nor can I claim so. But some moments DONT revolve around the drink. Most don’t. Some occasions do.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago #347704 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
My philosophy for altered states is to increase sensitivity to experience, ie learn their function through experience, so lower doses are needed, not increase doses (chasing the same ride, building tolerance as one goes). Different tissues and systems react to substances differently so it's not real safe to use cognition as the measure of dosing. In my mind mastery would mean you didn't need to drink to get drunk, and I don't mean acting drunk. If that makes any sense, but its just a working theory.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 3 months ago #347754 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Rex wrote: Also, let's all stop kidding ourselves and saying that we drink for health reasons. I doubt anyone here has a pharmacist's note recommending them a dosage plan of ethanol

Under no circumstances do I drink for health lol

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi