How do jedi view alcohol?

More
4 years 4 months ago #347614 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Fyxe wrote: Lol you guys are funny! So isnt drinking by it's very definition the act of "getting drunk"? So why do we approve of drinking but not being drunk?

At the end of the day no person, alive or Force ghost, will be standing next to you nodding in approval or shaking their head in shame. So just go ahead and do whatever you think you must. Just make sure you understand why you do what you do, lest you lose control and end up in a destination different than you expected.

I love vodka! My fav! So versatile and I love being drunk off my ass! Lol just me though. Marajuana, different story! Makes me walk sideways and laugh at everything but damn it sure relives pain and anxiety! So why not use these things for what they are good at doing?

Some centuries ago, alcohol was given as anesthesia to battle wounded men at arms. It was extremely effective as a pain killer. The problem? The dosage used could kill a whole bunch of the good parts of your body in the process.

You might enjoy the buzz a few drinks gives you, or the relaxing high of marijuana. But when you get "drunk off your ass", you are no longer in control. If you happen to be surrounded by friends looking out for you, then that's a huge plus. But many who have not had such luck have had drunkenness be the catalyst for big and awful changes: criminal behavior, high risk sexual behaviors, death.

You can self medicate whatever emotional or physical symptoms you are experiencing, and even successfully, in the short term. But if your approach to problem solving is to silence the symptoms with drugs rather than treat the root of the problem... expect big trouble down the road.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #347619 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Fyxe wrote: Lol you guys are funny! So isnt drinking by it's very definition the act of "getting drunk"?

No. Generally speaking, as I know tolerance is different for everyone, most people are not drunk after the first 1 or 2 drinks.

I LOVE drinking, I LOVE alcohol, I HATE being drunk. I drink frequently, I rarely get drunk.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

More
4 years 4 months ago #347620 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Fyxe wrote: ...and almost cant die from booze.

Despite the fact that an estimated 88,000people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States...

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #347623 by
Replied by on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
Objectively speaking, alcohol is poison and doesn't do anything good for the body not even in the smallest amount. But hell, there are lots of other harmful things in our lives which we cannot really avoid (we can do that with alcohol, and lots of other substances, though). Subjectively, it's still fine to get loose with it sometimes as long as we know our limits and don't make a habit out of it. Also, I drink occasionally and I'm striving for taking the most quality drinks possible (which is not always equal to the most expensive ones lol).

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347625 by OB1Shinobi

Fyxe wrote: ....Ever use it in a medicinal way, like take a few drinks before going out just to face a public event or something like that?....:

So isnt drinking by it's very definition the act of "getting drunk”?.....I love being drunk off my ass! Lol just me though. Marajuana, different story! Makes me walk sideways and laugh at everything but damn it sure relives pain and anxiety! So why not use these things for what they are good at doing?

This is how vulnerability becomes dependency, becomes full blown addiction. You may still be able to rationally deny that you're an addict but unless you find healthier ways to sooth your anxiety, to experience happiness, and to socialize with others, the monkey on your back is going to grow until he chews your head off. No two ways about it, bro, you are on your way to a very bad day, lol.

The things that helped me to experience the happiness, hopefulness, and belonging that i was looking for were martial arts, fitness, and going back school to get a degree. These things gave me a sense of purpose (hope for my future) and community (jiujitsu and MAs in general are like extended families in many schools and gyms) and a sense of accomplishment/empowerment, seeng myself becoming stronger and more capable in the disciplines ive been studying. These particular endeavors may not appeal to you, thats ok. You have to find your own areas of interest. Its the roles that they fill which matter. Happiness/excitement, empowerment/accomplishment, belonging/community, something that gives you real hope for a better future and behaviors that you will admire and respect yourself for engaging in.

Ive also learned healthier ways to face my anxiety; I particularly recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but the important thing is to understand anxiety as an issue which needs to be faced by growing as an individual and learning new skills of self-management.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347627 by OB1Shinobi

Brick wrote: I LOVE drinking, I LOVE alcohol, I HATE being drunk. I drink frequently, I rarely get drunk.

As an alcoholic, this kind of thinking never made any sense to me, at all. Its so far removed from my own experience that i used to think people were lying when they said they didnt drink to get drunk. I couldnt believe there was any point in drinking if you dont get at least a little drunk. I still dont see the appeal in moderate drinking, but i understand that there really are other kinds of people who do.

I’ll let the animated genius explain it
Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #347632 by
That was always my thought as well obi. Even 1 drink will give you a level of drunkness. I think brick is talking about tolerance. And do any of us really have that deep a grasp on that? We all think we can handle it or "arent drunk" when we really are. I listened to this experiment on the radio one time where they tested this with a hypo and a guy that thought he had "high tolerance" for drinking. He took coordination tests before he started and after each drink over a span of some hours I cant remember. Even after 1 drink his coordination went down and after like 3-4 when he said he wasnt drunk yet he would have gone to jail for driving and his coordination was crap. (Fine motor skills! Yea that's it). So play hard but be safe!

More
4 years 4 months ago #347647 by Malicious
Replied by Malicious on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
Well personally I believe that alcohol is meant to be use in a medicinal way and occasionally drunk but not to be abused but that's just my belief .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #347664 by
Hah, by the way, alcohol were the only antiseptic in ancient times, so it's not 100% evil force as some people like to think.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #347669 by
Not to mention medicinal use of alcohol not only can be used to reduce stress it also helps with heart disease, stroke, and helps prevent diabetes!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi