How do jedi view alcohol?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347480 by
Replied by on topic How do jedi view alcohol?
I think that from standpoint of Jedi philosphy, there is nothing wrong with alcohol, as long as you are able control your life.
specifically your actions.

Personally don´t drink at all, and never drunk any kind of alcohol. It´s my peculiarity for which I am proud of.

James wrote: My "Official" view, from a philsophical/Jedi standpoint is that it is an evil drink and no matter how you slice it, no good comes of it.

To say that alcohol is evil is bit a strong word and too general. It depends on every individual, only you deside what´s bad for you.
I understand that it was personal opinion and it´s fine, I was just little bit irritated by designation of evil and those concept good/evil...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347483 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

To say that alcohol is evil is bit a strong word and too general. It depends on every individual, only you deside what´s bad for you.
I understand that it was personal opinion and it´s fine, I was just little bit irritated by designation of evil and those concept good/evil...

Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 04:08 by JamesSand.

I did edit that view with a more clarifying comment a fair while before you responded, but sure, if you've got a point to make, go for it ;)

BUT SINCE NOW WE'RE TALKING - Whilst you obviously agree with me that it's not evil - let's see if we can find the sensible reason to enjoy it at all, in moderation or otherwise? Or are we just so used to it that the risks are easily rationalised in our heads, and as long as we say "in moderation...."

You don't often hear people rationalising, say, swimming, with "it's okay as long as you do it in moderation" - it seems to be a pass-off we reserve for shit we know is more or less inexcusable but we want to do anyway....
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347484 by Neaj Pa Bol
Find this interesting... Even in the Fictional world, the Jedi drank, socially, etc. We saw Obi-wan do so in Attack of the clones. Nothing says one can not. I feel that it is not a Not To Do or forbidden anywhere. As Jedi, we are tasked with everyday life and make the best choices. Some do not for the simple reasons it is something they do not do or chose not to. Some stay away after sobriety is reached for personal reasons whether an addiction or not. And the list goes on.

Evil view comes from personal reasons and in some cases religious. Party Animals included...

The best remedy outside of personal choice, just use good judgment, use in moderation.

It's up to oneself.

JMHO

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Neaj Pa Bol.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347496 by OB1Shinobi
Addictions seem to be the only kinds of attachments that Jedi dont need to be wary of.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex,

More
4 years 3 months ago #347579 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic How do jedi view alcohol?

Manu wrote:
I pictured you as drinking a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred type of guy.

Alarmingly accurate! I'm also partial to Scotch

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

More
4 years 3 months ago #347580 by Brick

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: *one of my bucket list things is to sip tequila with Brick and chat drink with him.

It'll happen one day.

Gin you say- what’s a better way to take it than with juice?

With tonic mostly, flavoured or plain. Hendricks gin, with tonic and a slice of cucumber is really refreshing if you live/work in a hot climate Carlos. The quinine in the tonic also protects against malaria

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

More
4 years 3 months ago #347581 by Brick

JamesSand wrote: You don't often hear people rationalising, say, swimming, with "it's okay as long as you do it in moderation" - it seems to be a pass-off we reserve for shit we know is more or less inexcusable but we want to do anyway....

I think that's because, whilst drinking is fine, being drunk is inexcusable. So the initial action is perfectly OK, but once you exceed moderation, then it ceases to be acceptable.

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347591 by JamesSand

I think that's because, whilst drinking is fine, being drunk is inexcusable. So the initial action is perfectly OK, but once you exceed moderation, then it ceases to be acceptable.

Shame we don't share the same tolerance for other drugs....

I'm having bourbon in my coffee at the moment, but it's early in day.
I'm sure some gin ton-tons lay in my future.

I am partial to hendricks.

Of course, in my fine country, Alcohol is taxed up the wazoo, so being an alcoholic (well, an alcoholic with taste, for mysterious reasons wines are taxed differently) is a hobby for the elite....(I'm sure I wouldn't know anything about black market alcohol)

Also a reason my country is in no real rush to pump the brakes on alcohol spending.

As you say though, drunkeness is still "inexcusable" and we have a whole bunch of laws to reflect that.

What a confusing cultural expectation to try to understand and maintain in successive generations....
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

More
4 years 3 months ago #347592 by Carlos.Martinez3

We don’t ? Why not find out? I have. I’ve found as humans and people with inherent worth, we are pretty similar, for me I just never said anything. Getting over that was a huge break through for me. There are obvious natural differences and a few others but for the most part I’ve found after I calmed that fear- we are very similar. People in general. Just my active observation with most people I come in contact with here and in real life.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
4 years 3 months ago #347596 by JamesSand

I meant more...legally.

It seems many governments have taken a "zero tolerance" approach, rather than a "it's not a problem unless it's a problem" approach.....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi