Locking threads is Bllsht

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345514 by OB1Shinobi
Theres no point in locking a thread if you dont address the underlying issues which produced the conflict within the thread. Lock it if youre too weak to handle the situation but understand that the conflict will just spill over into other threads. Face the issue without being a pussie. Anyone who is uncomfortable can leave. By shitting the whole thing down, youre shutting down our abilty to honestly communicate with one another which shuts down our ability to come to terms with one another. Please listen; honest communication is uncomfortable. THATS THE PRICE OF BEING HONEST.

Why is everyone such a sensitive baby here and why do we patronize and sympathize with sensitive babies? Let people hammer out their differences, just like we have to do in the real world.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Gisteron, Amaya, Kobos, Rex, ZealotX

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345516 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
When I asked the thread to be locked, I did so because the mods had yet to reign in blatant name calling and immaturity, and I wanted decisive action taken.
I'm not sure I've ever been called a pussy, and I don't think my history would back such a claim. I can see your point that if two equally mature parties are having heated discussion, a lock might not be the best move. But in the case that we have a singular participant who refuses to listen and hurls juvenile insults, I just want the garbage to stop piling up.
I respect the mod's choice to do so, and want to say that I publically asked them for it. Blame me if anything

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, ZealotX

More
4 years 4 months ago #345517 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
To OB's post I'd also add, if containing the heat is any sort of priority, locking the place it burns is a sure way to make it spill someplace else. I don't know much about moderation (I know, right? Shocking!) but mediation this is not by any means. Granted, the heat surrounding some people sometimes follows them around, especially as they drag it around and keep opening new threads to fire up yet more of it, but nevertheless, this is neither a solution, nor - in my opinion - is it an attempt to address something that is even that much of a problem in the first place. I don't blame you, Rex. I do disagree with you about the goodness of your request, but the moderators are not at your command. They judged the situation this time in a way that aligned with your request and acted in compliance with it, but that was their call to make, and so they made it.

Incidentally, I happen to live in one of those obscure time zone backwaters called central europe which renders me asleep pretty much all the time any thread is locked and any discussing whether it should be happens, so I only find out come morn. One might think such a censorious spirit would come from the continent with a history of doing so with more passion than regrets, but I guess times change and now putting up barriers and signs and literally locks is the new freedom and "Open Discussions" open-ness, isn't it...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Amaya, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
4 years 4 months ago #345520 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
I too come from one of those time zone backwaters Gist :lol: , and so missed what happened as it played out.

However, having read the thread in its entirety, it is clear to me that everyone in that thread holds responsibility for how things played out. Admittedly, Fyxe's original post contains call backs to previous threads but the OP was very clear that, following those previous discussions, Fyxe wanted to know what other people thought about the Force in an attempt build a better consensus TotJO Membership.

Now, I realise that you may think you'd already tried to answer this question previously in another thread and been ignored, I realise that the three of you have all been long enough to have seen this topic hashed out a hundred different ways, but please go back and re-read that first thread. There seems, to me anyway, to be a real chance to start a a dialogue in that OP. Now look at how the three of you responded:

Rex, you opened by completely ignoring the question posed of what YOU think the Force is and instead questioned Fyxe's intentions behind posting.

Gisteron, you opened by accusing Fyxe of telling lies and then also questioned their motives.

OB1Shinobi, you actually opened pretty well, you answered the OP (kudos to you). But then began your next post by pointing out the hypocrisy of Fyxe's argument.

The thread then descended into chaos and, following a request, the thread was locked by a moderator, and the immediate response of some of you is to then complain about the moderators.

Now, for clarity, I am in NO WAY saying that I actually disagree with your points or think that they are in anyway invalid, and I am in NO WAY saying that any of you hold sole responsibility for how things went, and I am in NO WAY trying to excuse Fyxe's behaviour which was a clear breach of ToS, but can you not see how the three of you criticising them one after the other (with nobody really leaping to their defence) may make them feel like they're under attack? Perhaps a little introspection into how your own behaviour and comments contributed to/escalated the situation may go a long way.

You're all long term members whom I hold in the highest regards, there's no need for any of you (let alone all of you) to gang up on a (fairly new) individual over several threads just to prove that you're 'right'. You're all better than that.

Again, I'm not saying that any of you were wrong in your points, but did you make your arguments in the best way, and did they contribute to the actual discussion in a positive way?

Lecture over (even I'm starting to think that I'm coming across as a condescending arse)

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #345521 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
I don't know the details leading to this...emotion, and I don't care much to look for them - but I reckon I can guess.

My personal view of the moderation techniques aside, I like to ponder two things before wading into battle, broadsword swinging wildly.

1) Can I win this?
and
2) Do I gain anything by winning?

I suppose you could ask that both of whatever tension was in the original thread, and also of this thread.
Some battles, even the seemingly easy ones, don't turn out to be worth it....
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 4 months ago #345522 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
I actually agree. I do not like locking threads for the record, however, when action has to be taken you are normally damned if you do damned if you don't. I hate and I mean hate stifling conversation. Regardless, I have to make a decisions and normally I go by precedence of previous similar happenings.

I am open to hearing solutions that don't require a lock. I will absolutely consider solutions, but when I see something becoming this similar loop some time to cool down maybe the ideal solution.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Brick

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 4 months ago #345531 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
The members, in particular clergy and knights, are the people who should defuse these situations, not mods.

The incessant 'run to the mods' culture was started by people who wanted 'change', their own vision of it specifically...
and is without a single doubt responsible for our current state of affairs being so similar to a broken family where the mother, father, and kids think there is such a think as outsmarting one's family, and worse, that they are somewhat right in attempting to.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, ZealotX

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345533 by Rex
By no means do I have the power to get mods to do what I wanted. I do believe that if someone is just flippantly not following ToS and being a pain that there is the point where mods should step in.

If I thought Fyxe's thread was a question in good faith, I would've answered. I've had great discussions on it before, and probably will do so in the future.

I would absolutely expect less activity from mods if council, clergy, and knights made it clear what we do not accept around here in terms of behavior (in a productive fashion). Alas.

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345534 by
Replied by on topic Locking threads is Bllsht
someone said you are a long time member. if you dont know what is expected by now isnt that the issue, not the newbs... or is it just normal for you to attack new people?

More
4 years 4 months ago #345536 by Rex
Is that what I wrote?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi