Locking threads is Bllsht

More
4 years 4 months ago #345628 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

I think (?) I can speak for everyone with 'mod power' when I say that locking a thread is usually an absolute last resort.

Which shows, as I see it, a lack of imagination, or at least a poor understanding of escalation of force on behalf of everyone involved.

If "Doing nothing" was Zero, and "Exterminatus via orbital bombardment" was a 99 - then locking a thread, in terms of application of force, would probably rate, possibly, a one.

I understand it's 2019, and there's a bit of princess-and-pea about many things where the smaller and more irrelevant the issue, the greater the irritation and rage, but try to maintain a bit of context where you can ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #345629 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

JamesSand wrote:

I think (?) I can speak for everyone with 'mod power' when I say that locking a thread is usually an absolute last resort.

Which shows, as I see it, a lack of imagination, or at least a poor understanding of escalation of force on behalf of everyone involved.

If "Doing nothing" was Zero, and "Exterminatus via orbital bombardment" was a 99 - then locking a thread, in terms of application of force, would probably rate, possibly, a one.

I understand it's 2019, and there's a bit of princess-and-pea about many things where the smaller and more irrelevant the issue, the greater the irritation and rage, but try to maintain a bit of context where you can ;)

Oh James, how I love your contributions! You knew fine well what I meant in the context of the statement :P :P :P :P

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #345630 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

JamesSand wrote:

No one's paying me to be creative ;) . Often I try to gain context before any sort of action an in most cases there is no reason to act but in 1 out of 1000 posts I gotta do something. Most times this means PMing the offender to sort it out sometimes it means group time out lol. I would say thread lock is more like a 3 or 4, orbital bombardment being 2 and resingularing the universe 5. 99 is ceasing all existence which I will do if you kids don't quiet down back there :)

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
4 years 4 months ago #345637 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

JamesSand wrote:

Mods can use orbital bombardment? How could a person theoretically become a mod..?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345639 by Kobos
Gotta buy that sweet space cruiser (Brick) or invest in the Star Wars defense satellite system (Myself started construction 3 years before I was born) :)

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345641 by
Replied by on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

Kobos wrote: Gotta buy that sweet space cruiser (Brick) or invest in the Star Wars defense satellite system (Myself started construction 3 years before I was born) :)

don't forget to do your patriotic duty, and only buy lasers sourced from Lord Buckethead

More
4 years 4 months ago #345646 by Kobos
I prefer Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Berine Brainns Inc. though Lord Buckethead is a large contributor to that coperation from my understanding :)

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

More
4 years 4 months ago #345653 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Locking threads is Bllsht

Rex wrote:

JamesSand wrote: If "Doing nothing" was Zero, and "Exterminatus via orbital bombardment" was a 99 - then locking a thread, in terms of application of force, would probably rate, possibly, a one.

Mods can use orbital bombardment? How could a person theoretically become a mod..?

Yea, I was just going to say... If escalating beyond all measure is extermination by orbital bombardment and locking a thread is almost as insignificant as doing nothing at all, just what is the suggestion here? Like what is the appropriate, proportional response, in your opinion, JS, to the "sutuation", exactly? 20? 4? 0.062? And what sort of action does that correspond to?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345658 by OB1Shinobi
We all do the same thing in the sense that we take our behavior patterns with us everywhere we go. The natural assumption is that people respond to us based on who we are but in reality, people respond to us based (mostly) on how we behave. In my opinion, i was handling the situation perfectly; doing my best not to be insulting or condescending or aggressive (for me), i was endeavoring to show Fyxe how some of the reactions he was experiencing were associated with some specific behaviors that he has been repeating. In other words, i was attempting to be a medium of actual conflict resolution and growth. Locking the thread only exacerbated this process.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345666 by steamboat28

OB1Shinobi wrote: honest communication is uncomfortable. THATS THE PRICE OF BEING HONEST.

No it isn't. Only the immature must provoke uncomfortability when honesty arises.
[hr]

Fyxe wrote: but i WAs provoked!

So? Control your emotions. It's a difficult task, and we all (myself especially) fail sometimes, but it's an important lesson at this Temple.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, Rex,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi