The Topic of Censorship and Banning

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323276 by
I don't think there needs to be any announcement of preferred pronoun unless a person wishes to do so. There really shouldn't be a need for it. Really a pronoun mistake can be cleared up in two sentences.

"I actually prefer [pronoun]"
"Ok."
Done. Any more than that is a waste of time for person 1 and if person 2 can't be ok with it we have ways to deal with them, as we've seen.

It astonishes me that this needs to be a conversation, and not just here, but anywhere.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323278 by Zenchi

Goken wrote: I don't think there needs to be any announcement of preferred pronoun unless a person wishes to do so. There really shouldn't be a need for it. Really a pronoun mistake can be cleared up in two sentences.

"Ok."
Done. Any more than that is a waste of time for person 1 and if person 2 can't be ok with it we have ways to deal with them, as we've seen.

It astonishes me that this needs to be a conversation, and not just here, but anywhere.

I find it ridiculous a thread was locked because someone was referred to as "they" lol

Cause that's exactly the ridiculous nature at where this all sprang from, not ze, not zer, not he, not she, "they"....

How many times have we, and do we continue to use this word for people when not even realizing it?

It's not an issue with free speech as nearly as it is one concerning control...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
5 years 10 months ago #323281 by Kit

Zenchi wrote:

Goken wrote: I don't think there needs to be any announcement of preferred pronoun unless a person wishes to do so. There really shouldn't be a need for it. Really a pronoun mistake can be cleared up in two sentences.

"Ok."

I find it ridiculous a thread was locked because someone was referred to as "they" lol

Cause that's exactly the ridiculous nature at where this all sprang from, not ze, not zer, not he, not she, "they"....

How many times have we, and do we continue to use this word for people when not even realizing it?

I don't think that's why the thread was locked. But it's not an issue with free speech OR conrol. It's an issue of respect to call a person by a prefered pronoun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323282 by

Zenchi wrote: I find it ridiculous a thread was locked because someone was referred to as "they" lol

Well it depends on if they (see, I did it but seeing as I don't know who we're talking about what else can I use until corrected?) were asked to stop. Granted 'they' doesn't seem bad to me but that's my choice. If the person being referred to as 'they' requests otherwise but it doesn't stop the offending party should be reprimanded in some way.

Honestly I think it's a trivial thing to cause that big a fuss over on either side of the argument so it's best to attempt to modify your own behavior and everyone move on.

I've now already devoted more time to the topic than I think it needs. Lol. Just call people what they prefer to be called and on the other side give people some room for honest errors. It's pretty easy, in my opinion.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323283 by Zenchi

Kit wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

"Ok."

I don't think that's why the thread was locked. But it's not an issue with free speech OR conrol. It's an issue of respect to call a person by a prefered pronoun.

Are you saying that because you'd disagree with the reason if that was the case?

Because that's the exact reason it was locked, over the use of the pronoun "they"...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323284 by
wait wait wait wait wait...

over the use of THEY? The term I've been led to believe is gender neutral (can apply to men, women, or any spectrum in between)?

EDIT: And the different gender names unravel at the seams. I feel sick, honestly, that no matter how hard one tries to be politically correct, it gets folded upon itself...
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by .

More
5 years 10 months ago #323285 by Manu
I may have accidentally typed he when I meant she, but it was a just a typo.

Is anyone else finding this conversation amusing and slightly pointless? :silly:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brick,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323286 by

Manu wrote: I may have accidentally typed he when I meant she, but it was a just a typo.

Is anyone else finding this conversation amusing and slightly pointless? :silly:

Highly...

More
5 years 10 months ago #323287 by Rosalyn J
These are the reasons I gave:
1. This conversation should have happened with only council and those concerned. I understand that it became a public conversation because we did not make an announcement.
2. This conversation happened in public in a thread she can see and read, but cannot respond to
3. And lastly, we are referring to her in a way she does not appreciate.
The most important reasons for locking the thread were one and two. And I did say that I would like these sort of questions directed to Council in the future

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

More
5 years 10 months ago #323288 by Kit

Zenchi wrote:

Kit wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

"Ok."

Are you saying that because you'd disagree with the reason if that was the case?

Because that's the exact reason it was locked, over the use of the pronoun "they"...

Sorry I went back and looked and you're partially right. (link) That was one reason stated but not the ONLY reason. It all stacked up and contributed.

In that thread in paticular, I don't know if it was brought up that Kyrin prefers female pronouns. If it was, it's disrespectful to continue with different pronouns, even "they". They is a decent default if you don't know their gender preference. Although technically against proper English (as it's plural) but I don't think anyone will hold that against you lol. But if the individual's preference is known, use it. Basic human respect. At least here. Although it should be anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, , Brick

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi