The Topic of Censorship and Banning

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323259 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: OK, I have one suggestion on this topic. A thread was locked because certain pronouns were used towards a certain member, never was it made public which pronouns should be used or would have been preferred.

@Zen
This thread - which was it ?

.... the one Brick linked for you....

Ok that wasn't the one about pronouns but ok.
The OP wanted to close the thread . There is no reason for not opening another thread on your own for any reason. If you like to keep a discussion going , simply do that.

Yes it is, you may need to read it again...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323260 by Carlos.Martinez3
Got it !

Edit
So brick was your question answered?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323261 by Rosalyn J
I'm not sure about Council coming out with a statement about which pronouns should be used for a specific person.

I'd be more keen to have people simply respect a person's pronouns when they are asked to, and if not clear, to ask what pronouns they'd like used.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

More
5 years 10 months ago #323262 by Brick

Rosalyn J wrote: I'm not sure about Council coming out with a statement about which pronouns should be used for a specific person.

I'd be more keen to have people simply respect a person's pronouns when they are asked to, and if not clear, to ask what pronouns they'd like used.

I'd agree with this. The administrative task of recording everyone's pronoun of choice would be ridiculous lol.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323264 by
So should we make it that (for at least those attempting for Knighthood, would be a pain to enforce on guests and/or members) to make their faces (and by extension, their gender, pronouns, ect) public? Would clear the air on a lot of these issues if people that want to represent this community were properly representing themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323265 by
My random thought:
If I choose not to present myself to this community with my face or a 'gender-typical' name, I ought accept that assumptions will be made and (assuming binary genders only) have a 50% chance of being wrong. I can choose to accept that it is an assumption and not be offended by it. Conversely, if I don't want to 'offend' anyone when choosing pronouns I can choose gender-neutral pronouns or simply refer to them by name.

Honestly, this world gets hung up on some things that just make me want to scream for it to stop spinning so I can get off.

More
5 years 10 months ago #323266 by Carlos.Martinez3

Dano Ori wrote: My random thought:
If I choose not to present myself to this community with my face or a 'gender-typical' name, I ought accept that assumptions will be made and (assuming binary genders only) have a 50% chance of being wrong. I can choose to accept that it is an assumption and not be offended by it. Conversely, if I don't want to 'offend' anyone when choosing pronouns I can choose gender-neutral pronouns or simply refer to them by name.

Honestly, this world gets hung up on some things that just make me want to scream for it to stop spinning so I can get off.

Many choose a “Jedi name” - this falls under that category or can.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323268 by Brick

Dano Ori wrote: My random thought:

The issue isn't about assumptions made by people who don't know better, the issue is more of a 'If you choose a name that IS gender specific, and request to be referred to with a particular pronoun, then people SHOULD (but have no actual obligation to) refer to you as that gender/with that pronoun'

The problem is what to do when people choose not to refer to you by the pronoun you've clearly requested they should.

Its a free speech issue really. People are able to refer to you however they like, though to deliberately call someone something they've asked not to be called isn't very respectful.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 10 months ago #323274 by Rosalyn J
I'm not sure about everyone wishing to be Knights making their face known. What about something like this: when we read an intro thread from someone which explicitly states that they identify as _________, maybe as a part of our greeting we can ask if they have any specific pronouns they'd like used

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Brick

More
5 years 10 months ago #323275 by Kit

Arisaig wrote: So should we make it that (for at least those attempting for Knighthood, would be a pain to enforce on guests and/or members) to make their faces (and by extension, their gender, pronouns, ect) public? Would clear the air on a lot of these issues if people that want to represent this community were properly representing themselves.

I don't "show" my face because I don't like my pictures. I feel that *I* am not my face, I am who I am. I think the only worry that's needed with gender or pronouns is just to know what that individual's prefered pronoun is. Everyone has different comfort levels and that's perfectly fine. For some, their Jedi path is about their physical capabilities. And that's great! Show off what you've got, and inspire others. For me, what I have to show off is inside. I don't feel that my face is going to change that haha. I find the art that inspires me is a better representation of who I am rather than my goofy face ;)

What issues are you seeing that you feel the need to clear up? Do you feel I'm misrepresenting myself with a big-eyed antro fox? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi