Sign Language

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317172 by Locksley
Sign Language was created by Locksley
Hey-hoo Temple!

Does anyone know of any good resources for learning the basics of ASL -- American Sign Language? I've been extremely curious about it for a long time; I love the idea of opening up a secondary mode of communication that doesn't rely on voice. Perhaps this is partly because I've read "Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss too many times, but, in general I also come across people who "speak" Sign and it would be really nice to be able to communicate with them.

Book are cool, but I'm really looking for videos and "3D" resources that allow me to actually see the depth of the movements. Granted, I could just surf on Youtube until I find something, but if anyone out there has had experience learning this language and has ideas for specific video series, or courses offered someplace on line (not too expensive, hopefully) that would be nifty.

Danke!

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #317174 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Sign Language
Id bet on youtube.
Many libraries and bookstores probably have books that would help, and amazon. You could look for asl classes at local colleges and find out what textbooks they use for the course/s and order them online.
Pro-tip: previous editions are cheaper and almost always just as good

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Locksley

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317176 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Sign Language

OB1Shinobi wrote: Id bet on youtube.
Many libraries and bookstores probably have books that would help, and amazon. You could look for asl classes at local colleges and find out what textbooks they use for the course/s and order them online.

Seriously if that's your intention start with signs for children. That path will lead you down a wide road ! Any baby can sign book can begin a very profitable search! That's how I started !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317178 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Sign Language
http://www.lifeprint.com

And if you're interested, I'm sure you could find people here at the Temple to practice with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, OB1Shinobi, thomaswfaulkner

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317181 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Sign Language

steamboat28 wrote: http://www.lifeprint.com

And if you're interested, I'm sure you could find people here at the Temple to practice with.

Great good gods! Thank you Steam and Locksley!

I'd recently decided that I want to go to school to become an ASL translator but have been having a bit of a hard time. And now I can try and get started early :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317182 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Sign Language
I wasn't kidding about finding people to practice with, either. I love languages and would love to learn to sign, but have nobody to practice with. Skype, Hangouts, etc. make life easier in that regard. Ask around in this thread and see if anybody's up for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, thomaswfaulkner

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317183 by thomaswfaulkner
Replied by thomaswfaulkner on topic Sign Language
I've watched the series of Dr. Vicar's videos from Lifeprint on YouTube and I think he is great. It's informative and he has a great sense of humor.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317185 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Sign Language

steamboat28 wrote: http://www.lifeprint.com

That is wonderful! Thanks so much for passing that along, it's an awesome place to start.

I would absolutely be down to practice with people. If anyone's interested in starting out and maybe checking in... say... two or three months from now? We'd probably be at a level where we could meaningfully practice together (given the constraints of how we can congregate I, at least, would want to have explored some of the basics on my own first. We could keep this thread alive, or start a specific practice thread, to check in with each other though? Sort of like the 90-day challenges, to help us all stay on track?

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317187 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Sign Language
I've been wanting to learn ASL for awhile I started self study a bit back after coming across a deaf patient during the job and no one at the hospital was a translator(we have one now during the day but I work nightshift), but it's hard to do by ones self so maybe if enough people are interested we can do a coordinated group or something...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #317194 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Sign Language
I think a practice group, here, would be so exciting. Can we get a show of hands? Who would like to do this? If people are interested, we can make this happen!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZTNq2QDUno8dbJTypYwDPzIQLT-muKFqAFiN-CdmL9kJ3mg/viewform

The following user(s) said Thank You: thomaswfaulkner

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi