Sith Code better for everyday life?

More
6 years 6 months ago #302470 by ZealotX
In my opinion, a lot of people seem to me to be operating under a misunderstanding of the Jedi code. So when they compare their understanding of the Jedi (based on canon examples) to their understanding of the Sith the Jedi are either wrong or weak or preaching that we should all not have emotions which is a bit psycho.

I have lived like a Jedi for most of my life when it comes to the Jedi Code. I have emotions. I simply don't let them control me. I've seen people who get mad and it's like they've lost their mind. Their actions are driven by their emotions and usually their actions are wrong because when you're upset you can't really think clearly. It "clouds" your mind. You see your perspective more than the truth. You consider the other side less because you dislike what they have to say and the emotional affect hearing them has on you. When I have gotten overly emotional I'm the opposite of articulate. I do my best thinking when I'm calm and serene. When other people try to tell me what I should do in certain situations its based on how they would get mad and take action without fully understanding or caring about the consequences and who might get hurt. When people get hyper emotional that's when they tend to seek revenge instead of justice or lose the understanding of what the difference is. They do wrong in the name of doing right.

In a fight, emotions are more like the instinctual moves your body already knows that it summons in a fit of rage. When did you learn those moves? While you were upset out of your mind? Or when you were calm? A lot of people think getting angry helps them in a fight because they're not wasting time thinking about what to do, how to move, what to say, how to react. And they think they can take hits better, hit harder, etc.

I propose something different. And I in my opinion you can apply this to non physical understanding of peace vs passion as well.

If you get drunk, you might feel invincible. But are you? Are you any more invincible than you were before you got drunk? Does drunkenness infer some kind of super power or does it really just dull certain senses and alter your perception? If your reflexes are dulled you may not even be able to walk a straight line much less win in a real fight against a trained opponent (ex Anthony Hopkins training Antonio Banderas in the Mask of Zorro).

Now we're all probably familiar with drunken boxing so it's not to say there isn't some benefit to be derived from being drunk. However, if 2 drunken masters were fighting then what advantage would it have? It's one thing to counter someone's logic and their expectations of form with irrationality or formlessness, but if Bruce Lee was fighting Bruce Lee it would be different from Bruce Lee versus someone trained in classic styles; styles that Bruce Lee also knew. And what if Bruce Lee didn't know the classic styles? Would his own style still win? And of course, would his own style/philosophy still win if he didn't combine it with a level of training that was, in all likelihood, more intense than the average martial artist?

Michael Jordan can teach you the best way to shoot but he also practiced a whole lot more than a lot of other players. Thus, when he did a move that wasn't as practiced or one that was unconventional, it had a better chance of going in than if you did the same move at home.

So the point of what I'm saying is that how effective one style is against the other is kind of a lie. Rhetorically. It's like Floyd vs Conner. The idea that Conner had a chance was cute but entirely unrealistic because he had to fight by Floyd's rules. He had to box and he wasn't a boxer. If Conner could have gotten in there and kicked, he might have won. Maybe. And its mostly because of exploiting a weakness. But exploiting a weakness isn't necessarily the proof of strength. A better test against Floyd in a boxing ring is another boxer closer to his calibur. If Floyd didn't want to take punches from Conner he probably wouldn't have gotten hit almost entirely.

I love watching Donnie Yen and Jet Li fight. They might vary things up based on the character they're playing, but when they fight you see a lot of concentration, not blind rage or aggression. The same is true in boxing. Boxers taunt to make the other guy lose his cool. Why? Because there are weaknesses that can be exploited when one gives themselves over to their "passion". And it's usually intellectual/strategic mistakes because it's harder to think when your mind is clouded. Anakin was strong in the force but he lost to Kenobi. Why? His hatred and anger created a strategic weakness. Even being warned by the cooler head he still got his legs chopped off.

It's not that the Rule of Two gives Sith just that much more power. No, the rule of 2 limits the number of Sith so that they don't destroy each other in the process of trying to rule the galaxy because those character "differences" that make them selfish also creates a strategic disadvantage when it comes to working together.

At the end of the day, canon Jedi used to be more balanced. The events of canon are only created because of an imbalance that caused some Jedi to become Sith. So at the end of the day (canon) Sith are imbalanced Jedi who go against the Order whenever it goes against their own agenda. Sith is not a dogma or discipline that can be superior to the Jedi.

And that's why the imbalances are always balanced out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Adder, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302473 by

MadHatter wrote:

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote:

Maybe_the_sith_arent_so_bad wrote: I have found that the Sith Code is far more applicable to my daily life then the Jedi code is. I often use hate to sustain myself during workouts and boxing matches, be it just frustration at life in general or hate of the opponent. Thoughts?

Tbh, imo the codes are kinda useless and could cloud our understanding. The maxims and creeds seem more thought out. Peace can be found in passion. It's the difference between righteous indignation and uncontrollable rage.

Passion is a part of our soul. It's intense e-motion(energy motion). Anger, fear, sorrow, our energy is moved into action.. but we should be measured in how and where we allow ourselves to be moved by external/internal stimuli.. applying when most effective..

"Be mindful of your thoughts"
"Peace in Passion leads to greater Strength"

One by definition cannot have passion and peace at the same time. The very definition of the two words contradicts this concept. Further codes do nothing to inhibit your understanding unless you let them.

When intense emotions have settled on a course of action. You can say there is relative peace there. There power behind the emotion is still there but it's focused and controlled. Finding Peace in Great Passion can lead to greater power that way.

Example: Somebody could be extremely bothered by slavery. To the point of hatred.. but it would be unwise to use that passion indiscriminately as you could make enemies of very powerful people without making a dent in slavery at all. You could even cause greater suffering. As was the case after Nat Turner's rebellion.

Passion gives you the motivation but let the Spirit(Force) temper the mind in order to make the most of that power..

More
6 years 6 months ago #302494 by Eleven
I know myself personally I agree with the Jedi code and the maxims. Again, I say am I perfect? Do I always follow the Code perfectly? No because I am human and I do have emotions and you can ask anyone I have gotten upset from time to time with others on here. However, if we're talking about whether I think the Jedi Code is better than the Sith Code I am going to say the Jedi Code we have established and maxims are better and I encourage all Jedi alike to follow them the best of their ability.

I agree with Zealot very much I think we often have a misconception of the Code and the Maxims. I could start from the beginning of my day and make sure very carefully that I didn't break one of them but, I promise you I will break one of them at some point whether willing knowing or not that's part of being human. If, we want to get into the movies and cannon look at Obi Wan in episode 2. While Anakin searched for the assassin he went to get a drink of some liquor I would imagine from the bar they're in. now, I could say about that, "Your a Jedi...Liquor will impair your judgement and use of The Force don't do that it's not the Jedi way..." and there might be some here that will agree with me on that but, there might be some here that will disagree and even be offended at that statement. I don't drink never have, I don't smoke cigarettes never have I am pretty boring to some but, it's just not my thing but, where I don't do that I overeat to make up for it which may I add isn't good either and in some cases is worst than drugs, drinking or smoking but, I am working on it and have lost 15 lbs so far and am on a good goal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302558 by
I don't have time to read ALL the posts here, but I thought I'd add my opinion...

I've explored the dark side too. What I've found was that I couldn't maintain my anger to strengthen me as the Sith code suggests. Anger and hate are exhausting. They say the dark is easier, but in my experience the opposite is true. Being at peace and not dwelling on your frustrations is FAR easier.

What comes to mind is Enter the Dragon. In that movie, Bruce Lee tries to teach a student to fight with "emotional content; not anger". As was already said in this thread, emotion is not the problem, it's negativity.

Personally I don't go to either extreme of focusing on passion or peace, but rather some balance in between. I've gone back and forth between the two, only to find that neither has all the answers on it's own.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302567 by

I've explored the dark side too. What I've found was that I couldn't maintain my anger to strengthen me as the Sith code suggests.What I've found was that I couldn't maintain my anger to strengthen me as the Sith code suggests. Anger and hate are exhausting.

Maybe it was the method and not the path, or Code itself.

As the Sith code does not mentione Hate, or Anger at all.

Certainly not to get strength.

What is easier, is to shift blame.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302618 by

Streen wrote: I don't have time to read ALL the posts here, but I thought I'd add my opinion...

I've explored the dark side too. What I've found was that I couldn't maintain my anger to strengthen me as the Sith code suggests. Anger and hate are exhausting. They say the dark is easier, but in my experience the opposite is true. Being at peace and not dwelling on your frustrations is FAR easier.

What comes to mind is Enter the Dragon. In that movie, Bruce Lee tries to teach a student to fight with "emotional content; not anger". As was already said in this thread, emotion is not the problem, it's negativity.

Personally I don't go to either extreme of focusing on passion or peace, but rather some balance in between. I've gone back and forth between the two, only to find that neither has all the answers on it's own.

Why would you say either is an extremely?

I agree that hate and anger would be exhausting. At least to let it be a sole motivation. Especially if it's negative. I would call that extreme. I try not to be just mad. I try to understand why I'm mad or if I even should be..

I guess if somebody came to the point of hesitation then that would be an extreme also..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302646 by
I suppose I was referring to the fiction from which it all was born. Watch Return of the Jedi and you'll see what I mean. Palpatine tries to turn Luke by making him angry: "Give into your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me." Etc.

That's just one small example, but such ideas are presented in most of the Star Wars stories that involve the Sith.

Perhaps that has nothing to do with the real-life Sith, but that's what my post was based on.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302696 by Kobos
I admit to having little direct contact with real life Sith but; here is what I would say anyway, the reality we are probably for the most part the same; looking at different types of philosophical reasoning, spiritual ideas, and general definitions. Probably also most likely drawing similar understandings of The Force, reality and our actions in it. Chaos please chime in here I am wrong; but it is to what ends we choose to apply said learning. From the little I know Sith application is more individual based than Jedi. No better or worse, no more "good or evil" morale relativism.I have yet to speak to a Sith whom being fictionally style evil.......

My personal reasoning for believing this is though we as Jedi strive to be better individuals we look to it as a path to service to the over all community. As most of us "Jedi" find our true understanding of what these connections to The Force are meant for. I would assume the difference most people is assume is that Sith use this knowledge and connects with more focus on the individualistic purposes idea.

Otherwise we are looking at these codes and assuming they are incompatible and absolute, something we all know is very likely untrue. After, all Ole Ben Kenobi does pray on the weak mind of the storm troopers to hide Luke. Do you ever feel bad for the storm troopers? Some times, I do they are just doing their job now they are going to get fired or worse because of Kenobi's actions. However, his interpretation of the greater good guided that action. So, um Jedi, Sith label probably applies to all of us multiple times a day. After all neither Jedi nor Sith deal in absolutes. (on a side not psychologically you are programmed to not feel bad for guys in masks......Look at villains in a whole lot of movies....also, why you felt bad for Kylo Ren and probably not Vader (he got lost in space in A New Hope......terrifying)the first time you saw him.

Just my 2 cents,

Much Respect Love and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven

More
6 years 6 months ago #302845 by Eleven
Again Kobos brings up an excellent point. Obi Wan uses mind tricks on storm troopers just doing their jobs. Luke blew up the death star with many many innocent people who were just trying to make a living in the universe according to George Lucas. They worked on the Death Star as a JOB not necessarily do we know if they supported the "Evil" Empire. Wouldn't you feel bad if I was merely an alien on the Death Star just cooking and serving up food for Imperials and suddenly "BOOM!" I am dead because the Rebellion just caused one of the single most biggest terrorist acts ever (Well, except when they blew up Aldaraan with the death star) you could say, "Oh well they had it coming...Karma"

You could easily say, "Luke Skywalker is a Sith in Jedi clothing" However, you want to gauge it. For that matter if we're talking Star Wars in general is either really justified for blowing each other up and destroying each other? In your mind yes in mine not necessarily. But getting to my point each person on each side is fighting and believing in what they believe to be right.

My point is are you wanting to be a Jedi based off the codes from the movies? Or, are you trying to construct your own Jedi Code? I encourage you to write you own as well as the codes and the maxims that are here. I know when I was an apprentice my teaching Master had me write my own Jedi Code that might help you find the answers your seeking possibly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago #302850 by Adder

Sven One wrote: ... because the Rebellion just caused one of the single most biggest terrorist acts ever (Well, except when they blew up Aldaraan with the death star) you could say, "Oh well they had it coming...Karma"

I dunno, I'd look closer... by my definition its not terrorism to attack a military target, because that is what all war is about anyway... but in contrast you've got the destruction of Alderaan being a big example of terrorism since it was made explicit it was unnamed, having 'no weapons'. Though different people define it in different ways these days so anything goes to some extent :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135