Sith Code better for everyday life?

More
6 years 7 months ago #302006 by Manu

Maybe_the_sith_arent_so_bad wrote: Well, Specifically with boxing, I have found that I can use hate I have for the opponent to allow me to hit harder and have greater stamina. I don't really know how to explain it any other way.

Do you trick yourself into hating your opponent? Does the hate linger long after you are done boxing. Do you wish ill to this person outside of the ring?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #302007 by
I don't think trick is the correct term, but in a sense yes. I can get myself mad at an opponent (it helps when they are trying to hit you) to the point of where all I think about is harming them as badly as I can. It usually stops after I've won, but if I lose, I tend to harbor that hate for a bit.

More
6 years 7 months ago #302008 by Manu

Maybe_the_sith_arent_so_bad wrote: I don't think trick is the correct term, but in a sense yes. I can get myself mad at an opponent (it helps when they are trying to hit you) to the point of where all I think about is harming them as badly as I can. It usually stops after I've won, but if I lose, I tend to harbor that hate for a bit.

If you turn it on and off at will, it is not hate.

You aren't getting angry either, you are simply "warming up" your mind much like you would warm up your body, to be mentally prepared for sparring.

"True" anger makes for a very bad ally in sports:
http://garretkramer.com/why-playing-angry-wont-work/

- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 7 months ago #302009 by Manu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSvBr4Qa-Fs

- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 7 months ago #302022 by Kobos

Maybe_the_sith_arent_so_bad wrote: I don't think trick is the correct term, but in a sense yes. I can get myself mad at an opponent (it helps when they are trying to hit you) to the point of where all I think about is harming them as badly as I can. It usually stops after I've won, but if I lose, I tend to harbor that hate for a bit.

So, first I don't see anything wrong with the Sith code unless you are intentionally bringing pain to others. It depend on you and the truth you choose for yourself.

Now the reason for the quote, I boxed when I was younger, (various injuries now keep me out of a ring with out full gear on) I practice martial arts though, during sparring really early on I often tried the use of hate and anger as a motivator to push myself. However, I ask you to try this empty your mind and act with out thought. You have spent a lot of time training and by interjecting your emotion you are forcing your body to relate that muscle memory with that emotion. When I approach a fight, or form demonstration with an empty mind I don't find myself falling into a routine instead it leaves me better able to act in accordance with the adaptations I need to defeat my opponent instead of being hung up on something like inflicting damage. In boxing terms.......Hate and Anger might make you throw a whole lot of Hay-makers or wide punches (for damage purposes) that leave you open when in reality a Jab lead may be the most simple and easiest way to open your opponent without leaving yourself open (also, it will help you maintain longevity in your stamina needed if you go extended rounds.

Just food for thought.

Much Love and Respect,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #302041 by
*golf clap*

Codes are meaningless. What do you care about in your life? What do you obsessively own every day of your existence to the point of not being able to breathe without it?

Hate is the fuel of babes.

There is more.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #302046 by Manu

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Codes are meaningless. What do you care about in your life? What do you obsessively own every day of your existence to the point of not being able to breathe without it?

Codes are as meaningless as any other words. They still hold value.

I would, however, say that a "code" needs to be born from within ourselves (it is our creation), not imposed from without (an external authority).

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
6 years 7 months ago #302047 by MadHatter

Manu wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Codes are meaningless. What do you care about in your life? What do you obsessively own every day of your existence to the point of not being able to breathe without it?

Codes are as meaningless as any other words. They still hold value.

I would, however, say that a "code" needs to be born from within ourselves (it is our creation), not imposed from without (an external authority).

Why. Why must it come from within? If you find something that resonates with you and is elegant and easy to remember why should you have to come up with an entirely new code when you found one that works. Codes and words are not meaningless. They are tools. With all the meaning & use of any other tool, you use to get stuff done.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
6 years 7 months ago #302048 by Manu

MadHatter wrote: Why. Why must it come from within? If you find something that resonates with you and is elegant and easy to remember why should you have to come up with an entirely new code when you found one that works. Codes and words are not meaningless. They are tools. With all the meaning & use of any other tool, you use to get stuff done.

Hmm, perhaps I was not clear enough.

When saying that codes are as meaningless as words, I was partially trying to imply that they are not useless. The "meaning" is not inherent, a lot of it (especially codes) is interpreted by the user.

I am not advocating for everyone having their own little clever code written by them (though nothing bad there!). I am advocating for making the code fit you, not you fit it.

- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 7 months ago #302050 by MadHatter

Manu wrote:

MadHatter wrote: Why. Why must it come from within? If you find something that resonates with you and is elegant and easy to remember why should you have to come up with an entirely new code when you found one that works. Codes and words are not meaningless. They are tools. With all the meaning & use of any other tool, you use to get stuff done.

Hmm, perhaps I was not clear enough.

When saying that codes are as meaningless as words, I was partially trying to imply that they are not useless. The "meaning" is not inherent, a lot of it (especially codes) is interpreted by the user.

I am not advocating for everyone having their own little clever code written by them (though nothing bad there!). I am advocating for making the code fit you, not you fit it.

Ok thanks for clearing that up though I do not agree that you should always find a code to fit you. Sometimes one should fit the code. One can have bad habits and inclinations that if you did not have a code be it personal or otherwise that encourages you to keep in check would run rampant.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi