There are real Jedi, there are also real Sith. Opinions?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248549 by
When I first discovered this site, I was amazed and instantly drawn towards its teachings. However this was not the only site for learning the Force that I discovered. While I discovered several Jedi Temples online, I also discovered several Sith temples and academy's too. There is one that I saw that could be compared to the Sith equivalent of TOTJO!!

When I first started my journey towards the Force, I was unsure as to which path I wanted to take and follow. For 2 weeks before even signing up here, I researched and looked for a path that would fit me best. I looked at the main teachings of the Jedi and the Sith, and ultimately decided that the ways of the Sith were not for me. From there I found here and the rest is history!

Now it does not take a genius to know that the beliefs of the Jedi and the Sith clash like no other; the former striving to protect peace and work with the Force, the latter using the Force to gain power and glory for themselves. However what I really am interested to know is what real Jedi think of real Sith (and vice-versa if possible). The Jedi of Star Wars are very different to the Jedi here; perhaps the Sith are too? And perhaps if they are both different, the relationship between them is also different.

So what is your opinion on real Sith, their teachings, their beliefs and their relationship with us Jedi? Do they clash as much as in the films? What is your opinion on the Dark side of the Force? And what, in your opinion, are the biggest differences between the real Jedi and Sith?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your comments and opinions :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248555 by
From my dealings with members here who also are members at Sith sites (of which we have several) I find that they are mostly good people who just take a different approach to life. I have not met a Sith who is actually bent on hate and domination (although I'm told they are out there).

To me it's like the differences between most other religions of similar origin. Take Christianity and Judaism for instance. They came from the same, or at least similar source, but are different. Both are typically good people who just have different ways of viewing the world.

More
7 years 9 months ago #248560 by Leah Starspectre
I believe that the main difference is putting your self before others (Sith) and putting others before yourself (Jedi)

The Sith follow personal freedom, power, wealth, pride - it's not good or bad, just very focused on one's own success and comfort...it is about the individual. Whereas the Jedi seek connection with others and to be of service others, and to foster humility.

That's what I understand anyhow. I'm not an expert :P
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248567 by
The oppression of the Sith will never return

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248571 by
Wow , difficult one, maybe difference is between chasing after what you want and putting someone elses wants first , i dont know , its not that black and white because life is not like that ...

More
7 years 9 months ago #248573 by Proteus
Khaos? You around? :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, rugadd, OB1Shinobi, Brick,

More
7 years 9 months ago #248581 by Carlos.Martinez3
I grew up in a very sith minded home. Do and be done. Take. Gain at any cost. Dark side wrong side call it what you will there are many decisions that can cause different levels of sacrifice. Some will know others will never have the opportunity. In my experience, The value we give our choices can make our goals much more valuable. The value of what we loose can gain as well. Depending on each individual person it's YOUR free will that makes your dark or light. Can they exist together? Have you ever seen a sword master or a tai chi master move with fluid and flow? The same can be said of every Jedi who strive to become their own human potential every day here. It is possible. I am living proof. Am I a Jedi, yes I am do I have sith tendencies still...at times I must confess yes. My goal is to be a light more than cast a shadow. Make no mistake they, the light and dark, can will and do exist together. It's up to each individual to...figure out their own... balance. Hope this helps in finding yours friend

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 9 months ago #248630 by TheDude
I don't see the two as competing points of view, in regards to real life Jedi and Sith. I think it's very possible for a person to be one, the other, both, or neither. There's probably a lot of people who disagree with me. I also think that Jediism varies enough from person to person that any number of people here at TOTJO might be seen by other people here at TOTJO as closer to Sith than Jedi. Though TOTJO itself doesn't really seem to focus on the two groups in general. The IP doesn't have any dark side and light side. It has Alan Watts, whose philosophy seems to be opposed to that kind of distinction. And our library has Sith resources as well. And we have members here who are Sith or who engage with Sith communities. My interpretation of that is TOTJO, generally, strays from the light vs dark way of thinking. If I'm wrong, though, then hopefully a more senior member who had part in the formation of the IP or who put the Sith resources in the library can make that clear. Because so much of Star Wars is focused on Jedi vs Sith, I'm not sure why else it wouldn't be addressed during the IP. After all, it's a major part of the source of inspiration for Jediism. Does TOTJO itself, its staff or council, have an official stance regarding the light and dark sides?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248642 by
There is no difference. The difference is in your mind. We are all the same but unique. Depending on how close or far away you are looking. We are all individuals but are one and part of the same. We are all connected. Focus on you being the best you can be, let the chips fall where they may and don't get hung up on Jedi/Sith BS. IMHO :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #248643 by Alethea Thompson
If you studied the two philosophies, you might come to the conclusion that we are the same. But when you meet them in person, you get a vastly different understanding.

I've me a couple of Sith in person, one even came out to my wedding and then went to the Jedi Gathering in 2013. They are great people, they approach things differently than we as Jedi do. They are not in it for others, they are in it for themselves. A Jedi should always be in it for others.

That doesn't Sith bad. It just a matter of goals and prospectives.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi