There are real Jedi, there are also real Sith. Opinions?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #248866 by
"You're the moderator and approve post before they go public?"

I meant this for Kahos. I question how he would handle a discussion over there when he doesn't like what I say or agree with me. If he doesn't want to talk with me over there he doesn't have to respond(just like here) but I'm hoping I can have a decent discussion with others over there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #248870 by Alethea Thompson
That's simple, we have all sorts of conversations that don't go our way. I moderate the LA boards (The Light Aspect forbids profanity from their members and we prefer it stay out of our discussion area, the furtherest we go is to edit the words out). The only time we moderate someone out is if we suspect they are only there to abuse people (which is much different from trolling, we don't get rid of the trolls- unless they are bots), or they might have some serious issues that would cause us to call in legal authorities. It's happened 2 times that I know of since 1998, when we opened.

So, you can rest assured that moderation over emotions is not really a thing.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #248877 by Tellahane

Jestor wrote:

Jestor wrote: They moderate less than we do... ;)

Meaning if you think things get rough/rude/tense/questionable/etc here at TOTJO, it is more prevalent there....

I think you would appreciate things here more, and understand how easy we keep things here... :)

You know, I posted this, and kept thinking on it...

While I said 'we keep it easy here", I wonder about that...

Is it easier to have a bit more leash? To allow members to speak more freely? Surely they must be able to take the, uh, 'abuse' is not the right word, the 'actions/reactions' (maybe?) then no longer as tightly modded?

Or, is it easier to come here and not worry about that, where the mods control it?

At a less heavily modded site, they ask that each member work on not being offended (not directly, but, if you are offended, thats your problem) and if you wish to continue, you must 'get over it'.... Not an easy task for some...

Here, being more heavily modded, we ask that each person control themselves in their interactions with others... Also, not an easy task for some...

Basically, instead of pushing the responsibility off on others, we call it upon ourselves...

Both are valuable, and it is why we do allow some stuff, and why they also mod a bit, as Khaos said, not profanity for the sake of profanity, their site says they have rules and terms of membership as you join... It is not the wild west over there... :lol:...

We all must learn to not be offended by others, as well as making sure we do not offend others... In a 'balanced' state...

Just musing...

If this needs spun off, would a mod please do so?

Thanks..:)

I think you just loosely described the differences between a republican and a democrat and that whole nonsense, I kinda like it in the middle imo. Low moderation with the understanding that we need to be respectful of other views, but some moderating with the understanding sometimes were overly emotional or upset given the circumstances and maybe are posting in a way we wouldn't normally post on an average day ad someone needs to just body check us to keep us from making a fool of ourselves =p

and honestly I would expect that moderation as I would expect that intervention from a friend or family member, I don't really see that as someone looking over my shoulder for the sake of being able to.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Tellahane. Reason: added note
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #248888 by

Low moderation with the understanding that we need to be respectful of other views,

If they are being responded too, then there is at least enough respect present to do so. If not, then silence would be the best form of disrespect.

but some moderating with the understanding sometimes were overly emotional or upset given the circumstances and maybe are posting in a way we wouldn't normally post on an average day ad someone needs to just body check us to keep us from making a fool of ourselves =p

There is some moderating in that regard. Its called self-control.

[/quote]and honestly I would expect that moderation as I would expect that intervention from a friend or family member, I don't really see that as someone looking over my shoulder for the sake of being able to. [/quote]

Haha, well, people are not thin-skinned. Depending on what you consider an intervention, you will be responded too, which is the risk you take by posting.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #248892 by
Despite being different, the real Jedi and fictional Jedi still use the same code. Is it the same in the Sith?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #248917 by
Well, I see the Jedi post up two variations of the same code, and also use the "Skywalker code"

However yes, we use the one from the fiction.

We just apply a simple, but effective understanding of it.

At least now....It used to be pages would be dedicated to each line.

Boring really, if not an extreme waste of time.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #253541 by
With the "sith/jedi" topic going on, I decided to search for this one. I think with Khaos's input, I've gotten a good idea of the differences between irl Jedi and Sith. I'm glad to see that they are not, in fact, like the Sith from the mythology (as irl Jedi are not necessarily like the Jedi from the mythology).

That said, I feel confident in saying that I am much more Jedi than Sith, almost to a fault sometimes. I have to force myself to care for myself sometimes emotionally, just to survive, because I put so much of myself into the welfare of others. I guess I need a bit more "dark" sometimes. It goes to show as a reminder that there always needs to be balance.

Too much light and we'd all be blind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #253547 by

Khaos wrote: silence would be the best form of disrespect. .

Good idea.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254306 by JamesSand

I have to force myself to care for myself sometimes emotionally, just to survive, because I put so much of myself into the welfare of others. I guess I need a bit more "dark" sometimes. It goes to show as a reminder that there always needs to be balance.

It is not "Dark" To care for yourself.

You are part of the whole, and the same care is to given to your welfare as to others - should you fall, become ill, become weak, unable to carry your part of the burden, then you have failed the whole.

For the OP (I have not read all the pages, so I do apologise if something I say has already been stated or debated)

I have friends who are Satanists, effectively a similar "outlook" to the Sith - Adopt power for yourself, for your freedom, advance your abilities, skills and enjoyment in this life.

They respect the same freedom in others, but they do not coddle, nor do they give up what they have gained to please others who may be envious or offended.

I do not see it as evil, I do not see it as Dark or Shadow.

They are Yang, they are bright and brilliant, unapologetic, forceful, and at times inspiring.

I do not follow that path, but I do not call the Jedi path "Light" - The Jedi are the Shadow, they have councils, they contemplate, debate, and reason; they move slowly, with a purpose.

This may sound like Sith rhetoric, but it is how I come to understand the Jedi path.
I am sure some here and elsewhere will disagree with me, and I welcome the discussion.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi