Psychic abilites

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #15902 by
Replied by on topic Re:Psychic abilites
Kana Seiko Haruki wrote:

All my thought are mine and not views of temple (have to put this, the down side of being admin)

We as Jedi are sometimes a little defensive/jumpy as we are (like any 'new' or 'different' group regularly targeted for jibes etc so please always bear this in mind whne you post to anything on this or other forums.

We too like to learn other viewpoints and encourage the expressions of these views. As long as no one is insulting or rude etc, anyone is welcome to participate in our temple, we have many members who are not actively practising Jedist.

My personal take of the 'name' issue is this, I think my nearest other name for what we call The Force, is Mother Nature... does this cast any new light on the subject for you?

One cannot deny we share a commonality with the world and universe in which we live. After all, the rocks, trees, animals, ourselves (also animals) are all basically stardust.

We also share in a common destiny as we're all riding spaceship earth. So there is a connectedness there. Not to sound sappy but we are one big not-so-happy family.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #15903 by
Replied by on topic Re:Psychic abilites
very well written. must admit like having my brain picked at when i first woke up this morning. Gets the juices flowing. As for search for knowledge, that is what we all want here. That is what is good about this temple. If you disagree with certain religions there are others to choose from.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #43356 by
Replied by on topic Re: Psychic abilites
I would have to say, so far from my conversations and reading about, it seems to be "to each their own" on the topic of Psi-related gifts, but I would like to know why some people get so aggressive about it? Is there a reason, or is it all just personal temperament?
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Replied before I finished...

More
12 years 6 months ago #43367 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Psychic abilites
Some of the people who do not believe in it probably have the belief that practioners of Psi skills are deliberatly misleading and liars, for fame and money etc.

I think metaphysicality just means its outside of current science methods, so it doesnt have to be all spirits and angels stuff, it could even be deeper aspects of psychology or even something to do along with lines of Lynn McTaggart's Quantum Force..... or spirits and angels!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43381 by
I also feel slightly noobish for pulling on a dead topic, I was just reading over things and it tickled my questioning side.

I wonder where it will end up at in 50 years.

More
12 years 6 months ago #43383 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Psychic abilites
This is a good topic. It was only sleeping, not dead.

To All: Have you had (a) psychic experience(s)?

Do you believe they are possible?

Do you believe they are impossible?

If they are possible is there a yet unknown natural explanation or must they be supernatural?

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43391 by
Well to quickly answer Br John's questions:

I don't know what classifies as a psychic experience.

I believe that they could be possible.

No.

The supernatural doesn't exist. There is only that which we do not yet understand.

Personally I would ask anyone who has had a psychic experience just what a 'psychic experience' actually is. But also ask them if it could have just been a coincidence.

Just as an example. You might think that thinking about just one person just once a year but that the time you thought about them they died then you might be psychic.

But lets look at the maths:

There are about 105180 5 minute instances each year.

As such if you just think about one person once each year then there is a 1 in 105180 chance of thinking about someone each instance.

But now lets consider the population of America to be 300,000,000.

1/105180 multiplied by 300,000,000 is 2852.

So every year in America ALONE 2852 people will think about someone at the moment they die.

That's not a psychic ability, that's just numbers.

Just because something is unlikely does not prove that it is what you think it is.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #43393 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Psychic abilites
While I won't dispute your math, Akkarin...

I think about several people a day, yourself included...

But when I get a feeling, sometimes I have no other explanation....

Sometimes, I know what a person is feeling, needing, or wanting, before I'm told....

Is this supernatural, or just intuition, or just paying attention and seeing signs?

Sounds kinda silly, every time is say it, for I'm not superstitious, so, like yourself, I say I'm just paying attention...

But, there are times where I just don't understand why I know... If I was a big believer of, what I call, superstition, then maybe I'd call that psychic ability....

Like so much in life, it comes down to the persons interpretation....

B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #43397 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Psychic abilites

Jestor wrote: While I won't dispute your math, Akkarin...

That doesn't sound right to me, I keep rereading it, I figured out why...

I should have said, "I can't dispute......

There. I feel better.....
;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43407 by
I agree with the sentiment that the term "supernatural" is open to interpretation. But as far as experience goes, one only needs to open oneself to others to see that that occurrences outside of the realm of traditional experience happen to most people daily. I myself agree with Jestor in that I seem to be able to "sense" what others are thinking or feeling. I've always interpreted this as a combination of experience with people and a subconscious ability to do so. I imagine most psychic abilities follow this rule.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi