Sword Training

More
6 years 9 months ago #292993 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic Sword Training
In terms of bloat, ya'll apparently never seen some of them roleplay forums with 84 different subcategories that were still navigable. :P

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #292995 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Sword Training
I'm inclined to agree with JLSpinner on this one. The Health and Wellbeing forum has no subforums at all right now, and is routinely a mess, discussing everything from mental health to physical fitness. A space, at least, for fitness or wellness journals wouldn't go amiss, and neither would a more active involvement in promoting wellness and wellbeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis, Adder,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #293000 by
Replied by on topic Sword Training
@jlspinner

Which particular version of the forms have you studied? i.e. which school have you studied under that have developed a set of forms? I'm curious because there are several different ones out there. Is the intent of this forum your proposing to develop an independent TotJO version of the forms? If not did you have a particular school of thought that you wanted to focus on?

Personally, I have studied under General Sun and his Shii Cho style as well as spent many years with the Saber legion and their developed styles. In fact I'm preparing this summer to test to become certified on their first form Shii Cho. Once certified I will be sanctioned to teach that form. I have also studied Koryo Gumdo sword for 3 years.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #293001 by
As of right now I primarily use form 2. However I can fall back on 3,5, and 7 if needed. 7 is kind of a last ditch effort as it kills me for longer duration use. I have experience with Kendo outside of lightsaber work. While that would be cool to teach like that, firstly my goal is to setup guide videos for learning not just lightsaber forms but fitness in general as well as fitness journals. I'd like to see us put more merit in our physical well-being.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #293003 by

JLSpinner wrote: As of right now I primarily use form 2. However I can fall back on 3,5, and 7 if needed. 7 is kind of a last ditch effort as it kills me for longer duration use. I have experience with Kendo outside of lightsaber work. While that would be cool to teach like that, firstly my goal is to setup guide videos for learning not just lightsaber forms but fitness in general as well as fitness journals. I'd like to see us put more merit in our physical well-being.

Yes, cool, but my question was what lightsaber school have you studied under? Different schools have different versions of the forms and in relation to that different disciplines, training methods and schools of thought. So I was wondering what particular school/version have you studied in relation to light sabers?

More
6 years 9 months ago #293004 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Sword Training

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: @jlspinner

Which particular version of the forms have you studied? i.e. which school have you studied under that have developed a set of forms? I'm curious because there are several different ones out there. Is the intent of this forum your proposing to develop an independent TotJO version of the forms? If not did you have a particular school of thought that you wanted to focus on?

Personally, I have studied under General Sun and his Shii Cho style as well as spent many years with the Saber legion and their developed styles. In fact I'm preparing this summer to test to become certified on their first form Shii Cho. Once certified I will be sanctioned to teach that form. I have also studied Koryo Gumdo sword for 3 years.

I have yet to see anyone seriously talk of developing independent forms from those already in existence (not that it couldn't be done) we're more or less as it stands just attempting to get a forum started and take it from there. We'll more than likely have a thread for each form including the prep that Nakis has mentioned regarding safety practices, as well as a few threads on how to make hand made weapons and sabers...

Sounds like your pretty adept at Shii Cho, hope you post some videos of your saber skills! That's one of the forms I feel I may take a special interest to and would greatly appreciate learning from experienced members on site...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #293006 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

JLSpinner wrote: As of right now I primarily use form 2. However I can fall back on 3,5, and 7 if needed. 7 is kind of a last ditch effort as it kills me for longer duration use. I have experience with Kendo outside of lightsaber work. While that would be cool to teach like that, firstly my goal is to setup guide videos for learning not just lightsaber forms but fitness in general as well as fitness journals. I'd like to see us put more merit in our physical well-being.

Yes, cool, but my question was what lightsaber school have you studied under? Different schools have different versions of the forms and in relation to that different disciplines, training methods and schools of thought. So I was wondering what particular school/version have you studied in relation to light sabers?

No one school. I've checked out many sources like HEMA, fencing, TPLA, etc. My forms are more practical as I only add that which i find more efficient. I guess you could say my forms are original.

More
6 years 9 months ago #293069 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Sword Training
Since fighting styles are ultimately philosophy though physics, what's stopping us from creating expressions of the forms for here? Besides time and work?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Zenchi,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #293070 by
Nothing. Ultimately I'd like to do that. First we need to get enough support for our expansion. We need some more input.

More
6 years 9 months ago #293077 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Sword Training
I am going to express my interest and support in this idea. I'm currently studying Koryo Gumdo, Korean Sword Play (Kendo with a Chinese influence). I am more than willing to help add things that have helped in my training and chronicle how each lesson, drill and form is taught to me as well as the diet changes I have made ect. I am also fiddling with the idea of building a custom homemade saber hilt; and carving my own practice sword.

Just something that I think should be noted and i think it was brought up but listing out minimal required safety gear as a disclaimer is going to be important. first, because we should really all be using it ;) and 2 younger members need to note that even training with practice swords, light sabers ect. injury is still a very real prospect.

This is going to be something I look forward too. I would like to know about the other arts individuals are learning in their words and methods. On a side note I have in my research on Koryo Gumdo have found quite a few different antique and ancient manuscripts explaining different styles from all over the continent (Asia right now). I am glad this thread appeared while I was absent for a bit.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi