So i guess everyone is leaving..?

More
6 years 7 months ago #299006 by Tellahane

Karn wrote: It is simply good etiquette to greet new people. This is a small thing that I do to make people feel welcome. I greet every person who posts in the introduction thread since I returned from my overseas deployments. It does not take very long to write a simple hello, and I get tells from people with questions, probably because I am one of the few Knights who do greet new people coming in the door.

The newcomers, guests are getting a lot more attention that it used to be. It has gotten better. It could always be better. But as has been said, this is our own Journey, our own Path and we must take ownership of it. If you need aid, have questions, never wait for the answer to come to you. It may or may not. Seek it out. Ask any of us, Knights, Apprentices, Novices, Initiates, members, Guests, wisdom and insight may be gleaned from any rank.

Send any of us a PM, ask in the forums, start a topic, we are all here to help each other grow.

Keep in mind every couple days the welcoming party sends pls to every member who registered in the previous couple days as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #299008 by Kobos
Look at my journal though I made like 3 posts then disappeared for 12 months due to life and now look at me im ole Kobos that one a-hole

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299011 by
Replied by on topic So i guess everyone is leaving..?
I think it's just easy for long standing members to get bored of the tedium in greeting new members that don't stick around. I know many times I would feel like im just copy and pasting "Welcome!!" twenty or so times and the personal feel of it gets lost. I always prefered to greet them in chat and during discussions where it had a more personal and interactive feel to it and less...copy/paste.

It's easy to forget that while it's tedious for those that's been here longer.....it is still new to the new guys :-p

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299014 by

Trisskar wrote: I think it's just easy for long standing members to get bored of the tedium in greeting new members that don't stick around. I know many times I would feel like im just copy and pasting "Welcome!!" twenty or so times and the personal feel of it gets lost. I always prefered to greet them in chat and during discussions where it had a more personal and interactive feel to it and less...copy/paste.

It's easy to forget that while it's tedious for those that's been here longer.....it is still new to the new guys :-p

I took a few weeks from account creation before I actually started being a more regular user here...part of that was in the generic responses of "Hi, welcome, check out the FAQ and IP, and ask if you have any questions..."

Like...YA...I have questions...I wouldn't be here if I didn't...problem was I had no idea what questions to even ask...so had to poke around.

It DOES NOT help though when the intro post (probably mine included) is somewhat generic itself with little insight into who the person is.

When I read posts where people actually tell a little about themselves, I find things that I can understand or relate to, and like to point those out...but not everyone offers that much up front...

Take the recent post from the "Barbarian"...THAT was an intro post! I have little question at all about who he is or what he is about, and I like that.

Maybe have some sort or "primer" for what people should/need to cover in an intro post so we can get a tad more to relate to in breaking up the monotony of "Hi I'm new here" -- "Welcome, hope you find what you are looking for" type of come-and-goes...

My general guess is that by the time someone has figured out that they should, and where to properly post an intro, they have already cruised the site a bit and decided to make their presence known...that first post is them reaching out and saying "I'm here, and have decided to be here, now what?"

Almost like car sales...if people are on the lot looking at cars, its not just cause they were bored that day and wanted to go see how many colors you had...its because they have done a little research, more or less narrowed down their preferences, and are financially ready to commit to buying a car...you just have to let them test drive it and pick exactly which one they want...

We aren't selling things here...some people may just come to shop ideas...but for those posting in the intro forum at all, I'm thinking they are ready for a test drive...they just need some keys...
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #299016 by Brick

SamThift wrote: Maybe have some sort or "primer" for what people should/need to cover in an intro post so we can get a tad more to relate to in breaking up the monotony of "Hi I'm new here" -- "Welcome, hope you find what you are looking for" type of come-and-goes...

Good idea Sam! At present the Welcome Party message just says 'be sure to post an introduction in the forum', I could maybe add something in there to elaborate a little more on what we had in mind.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299018 by

Brick wrote:

SamThift wrote: Maybe have some sort or "primer" for what people should/need to cover in an intro post so we can get a tad more to relate to in breaking up the monotony of "Hi I'm new here" -- "Welcome, hope you find what you are looking for" type of come-and-goes...

Good idea Sam! At present the Welcome Party message just says 'be sure to post an introduction in the forum', I could maybe add something in there to elaborate a little more on what we had in mind.

It doesn't have to be invasive...I get that a lot of people might not feel comfortable opening up about their personal life, location, whatever might be identifiable...but some weird "ice-breaker" questions..."What was the last book you read?" "If you had to be an animal, what would you be and why?" "Jar-Jar Binks, pathetic life form or best character ever?"

Anything to provide a tiny way for people to share some meaningful unique things about themselves without feeling like they are opening the doors of their soul to an unknown online community...but still giving us something to play off of...

I just read the "Lakota Way" by Joseph M. Marshall III, and am now reading a revised version of "Black Elk Speaks" by John G. Neihardt
I would be a penguin so I could swim in icy cold water, eat tons of fish, and walk funny.
Jar-Jar was annoying...but I feel like he offered us an opportunity to evaluate our own prejudices.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299019 by
I try and direct new members to my "How To Be New" document which explains a bit of clarity in intro posts :) it would be nice to see something more visable though!

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299023 by OB1Shinobi
EDIT
actually, i think that the discussion of how to better look after newcomers should be dealt with here:
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/119379-how-to-better-look-after-newcomers

DOUBLE EDIT:
Except for elizabeth because she is a gangster and can do whatever she wants

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 7 months ago #299024 by Amaya
Think I have been here too long but the members who join now have far more contact and help than it use to be..
Yet still few stay and make it through.
I am more of the mind if you want to be here then you will stay, with or without help because you do it for you..
Not for others, friends, community but for just you..

I say hello have since I arrived way before the greet and meet squad started because its polite and I may interact with you, get to know you but that takes time.
Fine line because jediism is about your individual path and learning from the start to be too reliant on help from others can cause sheep like behaviour instead of standing on your own two feet.
But hey people are all different. This is just My personal opinion

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299027 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: EDIT
actually, i think that the discussion of how to better look after newcomers should be dealt with here:
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/119379-how-to-better-look-after-newcomers

Understood...redirected and cross-posted...I digress.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi