IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Initiate Programme Update

More
9 years 9 months ago #149276 by Wescli Wardest
P ss s st ... *in a hushed whisper*

Jestor....

Attachment h77591a2.jpeg not found

How bout changing my rank to Number-One-Super-Meg-Ultra-Jedi-Guy? ;) ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 9 months ago #149277 by Brenna
Get in line Wes! Ive been fluttering my eyelashes at him for MONTHS for my Queen of the Pumpkin Fairies rank bar. Wait your turn!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Llama Su

More
9 years 9 months ago #149279 by steamboat28
You guys have no idea how much it hurts me to say this, but I agree with ren. It's a lot of paperwork-style bureaucracy that is going to bore the pants off newbies before they even get to the REALLY boring stuff (because I love Campbell, but 6 hours in documentary format is like hitting the snooze button and finding the cool side of the pillow.)

Speaking of Campbell:

tzb wrote: Putting it up front makes just as much sense as having Campbell first ever did. Whilst I enjoyed that part of the IP it always felt like a bit of an "apology" for what we do here... "You can make a religion out of Star Wars, honest!".

I didn't see it that way. I think Campbell is the perfect introduction to the transition of one's old faith (or lack thereof) to the new one he indirectly inspired. But, like I said, it's kind of a lot (and it jumps around topics a lot) to take in at once.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #149280 by RyuJin
What about my "lord of the furballs" rank....

We certainly do have more activity and retention now than in years past...

Now about my "lord of the furballs" rank, the badge should be dark with a silver patch in the middle and have a furry look to it, and beneath it it should say "in furballs we trust"

I'm in the middle on this, I understand the need for structure....but at the same time my authority issues prefer to have considerable flexibility....too much structure leads to bogging down in bureaucracy...too little leads to chaos...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #149287 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: An online degree is an academic degree (usually a college degree, but sometimes the term includes high school diplomas and non-degree certificate programs) that can be earned primarily or entirely through the use of an Internet-connected computer, rather than attending courses on a traditional campus. Improvements in technology, the increasing use of the Internet worldwide, and the need for people to have flexible school schedules while they are working have led to a proliferation of online institutions that award associate, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.

The goal of educational accreditation, according to the United States Department of Education, is to ensure that programs provided by institutions of higher education meet acceptable levels of quality. ENQA, the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education, describes the role of external quality assurance in education as one that "combines both accountability for the reassurance of the public and an objective and developmental role for enhancing quality in institutions".

Where I am not certain of TotJO’s accreditation, it does not mean that either the degree is invalid or do any of the laws state that online courses be registered to participants place of residence. Educational requirements in the US are not restricted by age (limit being set for minimum age requirement) and only age caps are imposed on those that would attend public education centers of primary or remedial education. (meaning a thirty year old is not allowed to attend middle school classes in the facility)

Accreditation is a process in which certification of competency, authority, or credibility is presented.
Organizations that issue credentials or certify third parties against official standards are themselves formally accredited by accreditation bodies; hence they are sometimes known as "accredited certification bodies". The accreditation process ensures that their certification practices are acceptable, typically meaning that they are competent to test and certify third parties, behave ethically and employ suitable quality assurance.

This happen to actually be a subject I know some about being as I home school my daughter and her courses are accredited.

Whereas TOTJO is a religious entity and not an educational one (except pursuant to the furthering of its religious teachings), and whereas the degree rankings are part of the rank structure of that religious entity, TOTJO does not need to be accredited to issue degrees, as far as I am aware. At least not in the US.

*edit* - rather, no accrediting body outside of Jediism has the authority to issue accreditation status to TOTJO, and even if such an accrediting body existed inside of Jediism, its applicability to TOTJO would be completely inconsequential to the nature of the degrees granted by TOTJO, unless TOTJO specifically submitted to their authority. Which I don't see happening.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su

More
9 years 9 months ago #149308 by Alexandre Orion
I'm not sure that it would serve us very well to ever become "accredited". Accreditation is getting the stamp of approval from some Department or Ministry of Education somewhere - and those somewheres usually don't agree with one another. So, as it were, if we were 'accredited' by say, the US Dept. of Education and it were not recognised in say, Iran, then just our conditioned way of looking at things would make some Jedi 'less official' than others ...

This goes beyond our intellects, to a more profound level than what we want to think we believe. Thus, accreditation would turn out to be a very handicapping dis-creditation for us, I feel.

:unsure:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #149310 by
I don't see why a religious institution would need to be accredited by some department/ministry of education anyways

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #149312 by
It could be fantastic if Jedi groups, not just religionist ones, could actually give people qualifications which are relevant to the path. First Aid, self-defence, whatever. I'd like to see it. Part of my plan for the local Order I'm trying to found.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 9 months ago #149313 by Jestor

Renny wrote: I don't see why a religious institution would need to be accredited by some department/ministry of education anyways

This gets misleading...

We are not looking to get accreditation by anyone...;)

But, anyone can call themselves a Jedi...

So, what we are trying to do, is to show a support structure that if someone says, "Oh, Im a Jedi over at TOTJO", then they can understand that we are not some internet organization handing out ordinations and ranking for money or kicks...

Search the internet, there are plenty of people out there who will ordain for a fee, or issue a rank for free...

We are wanting our degrees, ranks, and ordinations "to be worth more than tha paper they are printed on"...

If that makes sense...:)

Toot-Toot - Steamboat28 wrote: but I agree with ren. It's a lot of paperwork-style bureaucracy that is going to bore the pants off newbies

RyuJIn wrote: I'm in the middle on this, I understand the need for structure....but at the same time my authority issues prefer to have considerable flexibility....too much structure leads to bogging down in bureaucracy...too little leads to chaos...

If we become too hung up on our ranks....

If we become too laden with bureaucracy and structure, we will die...

People will join, see that we are all about touting ourself, and not do the IP, or complain....

Senior members will leave by the droves... Myself included...

Ive considered it on more than one occasion... lol...

Alright....

++++++++++++++++++
Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Publics...

Dont just critisize our placement... Offer some solutions... Anyone can bitch about stupid stuff... Let me give you my ex-wife's number... lol...

Where should it go?

The end? Well, they had a bunch of questions, and as I am listed in the FAQ as the VP of Membership Affairs, and a "go-to" guy for stuff, who do you think the PM?

So, they do the whole IP, then get to the end, and say, "OH! here is the list of people to ask, why is it at the end?"

Dont look at it from your POV's, look at it from some lost person, who doesnt know anyone...

How many of you who are critisizing say "Hi" to folks? To let them know that you are here to help if they have questions?

Give us some answers, not just point out the flaws... Please...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 9 months ago #149314 by Jestor

Williamkaede wrote: It could be fantastic if Jedi groups, not just religionist ones, could actually give people qualifications which are relevant to the path. First Aid, self-defence, whatever. I'd like to see it. Part of my plan for the local Order I'm trying to found.

Agreed...

One step at a time...

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi