IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Initiate Programme Update

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #149342 by Jestor
Please insert a credit card or cash through the slot in the door for two minutes...

Thank you....

You're always using your blasted phone, so, yeah, it's 555-JESTOR. I thought this was kinda funny, no? Or is it because now I'm not on the council I get to do all the bitchin on the public forum and you can't tell me "You're a councillor you have to watch out for what you say" ? lol

Dude!

NO way!

Everyone will be jelous I have a phone number!!

It will become famous like "8-6-7-5-3-0-9iiinnneee"

Im excited!

Lol...

I love being teased, and honestly think you dont love me when you dont...:)

Ren wrote: If you look at the doctrine, there is a lot more emphasis on doing what's right than there is on having faith in an order. In fact Jediism supports no particular system. It assigns no "role" to anyone. The priests aren't emissaries chosen by the Force, the masters aren't prophets.

I'm merely concerned the "temple of the Jedi" is becoming a "temple of the temple".

Prudent words. Thank you ...

As it were, right as you must have been typing that, Ethan and I were having a very similar conversation ...

If we get that way, I hope the Knights rise up, and boot us off the Island...

Ren, you know me and Alex better than maybe the rest of council, and you know Alex and I try to put the people first... The rest of council does too, only maybe you dont know them as well, idk.,..

We think that knowing the roles of what position is able to best help a question is a good thing to know before the questions arise...

Please feel free to come to Illiniois and kick my butt if I get outta line... Then we can go get a 'horseshoe' and a chocolate coke...

Horseshoe sandwich - http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/HorseshoeSandwich.htm

Chocolate Coke - http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/chocolate/chocolate-coke.html

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149343 by
Renny I would suggest you read Alain de Botton's Religion for Atheists as therenis a very relevant chapter regarding education as compared to secular and religious institutions - one teaches knowledge and the other wisdom - which is something I had noticed prior.

Maybe this should be asked in council, but as Jestor said (elsewhere) it is better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission ;), we could move the little "come back to this later" line to be the first thing someone reads.

Additionally we could make it:
"What are the differences between the non-clerical ranks"
"Who currently holds which office"

And leave it at that. This is much more slimmed down and asks for less wordy explanation so it wouldn't be so much of a bore (coupled with letting them know they can come back to this later).

Nothing explaining all the clerical ranks etc, but of course offices like pastor would still be included.

What are people's opinions of that?

More
9 years 10 months ago #149345 by SilverWolf
ren,

I am probably one of the biggest Star Wars fans, so I can say with certainy that What caused the fall of the order was palpatine was using everyones fear against them. Padame's fear to help her people, the jedi's fear to end the war quickly, but then with the arrival of anakin they questioned the legend of "the chosen one" and were so busy trying to find the other sith, they barely had time to listen to anyone. They also did not trust anakin. Anakin was already shaken by leaving his mother behind, and then she gets kidnapped and killed, he blames himself, gets angry, kills sandpeople. The only person that truly showed him trust aside from padame' was Palpatine. After he lost his mother, he had fears of losing padme' and palpatine played them like a violin. the downfall of the jedi happened because everyone was not on the same page and everyone thought they were right...not because they were or weren't part of the republic or part of an order.
Jediism for me is more than just a title or rank, sure..the rank is cool to say, but I live my life as a Jedi not because of a religion, but because that is one of many titles I choose to base myself on. Other titles I could use are : Samurai, Knight of valor, I think we are making this way too complicated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

More
9 years 10 months ago #149348 by SilverWolf
I will say this about the setup of the site, it is potentially confusing sometimes, I read the FAQS and did everything I was supposed to start out, but trying to figure out how to make a journal was at first confusing. There have been other things that have been slightly confusing about this site too. TOTJO has means of chat through skype or google+ , however I do not think it is used much which is a shame, because I believe if we all actually talked to one another more we would have a better relationship with one another and not as much confusion and disarray. I am honestly confused about what this post is about anymore, changing the IP, ranks, bribes of cookies, or wether or not this is a true jedi order and a place of growing and learning or just a version of a jedi facebook page. I will admit I have been very lacking in my studies, partly because I am also studying to get my Associates degree in Business adminastration. I however, came here to learn, grow, make friends, and live my life as a jedi. If I reach the Rank of Councilor one day, awsome! if not, it's ok
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #149360 by Jestor

SilverWolf wrote: I will say this about the setup of the site, it is potentially confusing sometimes, I read the FAQS and did everything I was supposed to start out, but trying to figure out how to make a journal was at first confusing. There have been other things that have been slightly confusing about this site too. TOTJO has means of chat through skype or google+ , however I do not think it is used much which is a shame, because I believe if we all actually talked to one another more we would have a better relationship with one another and not as much confusion and disarray. I am honestly confused about what this post is about anymore, changing the IP, ranks, bribes of cookies, or wether or not this is a true jedi order and a place of growing and learning or just a version of a jedi facebook page. I will admit I have been very lacking in my studies, partly because I am also studying to get my Associates degree in Business adminastration. I however, came here to learn, grow, make friends, and live my life as a jedi. If I reach the Rank of Councilor one day, awsome! if not, it's ok

lol, Yes...

We make it confusing so that as you get dizzy, you drop the cookies...:)

And, honestly, it is one of the reason we did the "lesson 0" that ren is complaining about...

SOme of it is just learned through questions, but, even senior members may not know that Councillor is an Office, not a rank...

It is things like that that we are trying to be clear about by having a 'structure' lesson...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #149366 by ren

Please feel free to come to Illiniois and kick my butt if I get outta line... Then we can go get a 'horseshoe' and a chocolate coke...

I have considered contacting your wife so that she may then force you to read all that Krishnamurti stuff :P

ren,

I am probably one of the biggest Star Wars fans, so I can say with certainy that What caused the fall of the order was palpatine was using everyones fear against them.

Yes, that's true palpatine did this, but not with everyone. He just couldn't manipulate the Jedi like that, so he kept them busy.... The system was too big a part of them for them to realize the guy they were taking orders from was in fact a Sith lord. I mean seriously, how long would it have taken them to realize that if palpatine hadn't "opened up" to Anakin? remember Windu's "are you sure?" They were nowhere near the truth, blinded by their misplaced (inculcated by the order) faith in their order and status.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 10 months ago #149379 by Llama Su
What is your rank Jestor, if you do not mind?
Bishop?
Perhaps I myself do not understand the structure of ranks... :blush:
Councilor is not rank?. :dry:
I thought Clerical ranks were in a category all to themselves.
Jedi ranks of guest,member,novice,initiate,apprentice, knight, and master, were a category of rank...?
or after these ranks come the higher clerical ranks?
I am confused...
One could have three ranks?
Councilor
Master
and minister?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #149380 by
Three categories is correct: rank, clerical rank and office(s).

Technically it'd have to be Councillor, Master and Deacon, as Ministers become Deacons automatically if they attain rank Knight (or Knights attain what would otherwise be the rank of Minister)... but... yeah. :)

I believe councillor is technically an office. So one member can have any number of offices, plus their "training" rank of Apprentice, Knight etc and any clerical rank they've attained besides that.

You're right. It is confusing to explain, ha ha!
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

More
9 years 10 months ago #149390 by Ben
From FAQ 11:

There are 4 types of 'ranking' in the Order. These are: 'Statuses', 'Ranks', 'Offices' and 'Clerical Ranks'.

A 'Rank' is related to the amount of study that has been accomplished at the Temple.

A 'Status' is related to the level of rights and responsibilities (some legal) that a member has in the Temple.

An 'Office' is a specific position held by a person that relates to specific tasks and responsibilities.

A 'Clerical Rank' is the level of clerical duty and responsibility that a person has in the Order.

Llama Su wrote: Councilor is not rank?. :dry:

tzb wrote: I believe councillor is technically an office.

Councillor is not a rank. I thought it was an office, although the FAQ lists it as a status (this is getting very confusing...)

The ranks of our current Councillors are GrandMaster, Master, Senior Knight and Knight.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #149391 by Wescli Wardest
When I came to Council I asked if it were possible to have my rank displayed and Office. But because of the way the rank bars and stuff are set up, the site only allows us to display one or the other if we are to have the clerical rank.

As it stands, I am just a Knight of Jediism that holds an office in Council. :D

I am also in the Seminary, but there is no rank bar for how low on the totem pole I am on that course. :P

Hahahhahahha :woohoo:

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi