• Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205140 by

Star Forge wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote:

Star Forge wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote:

SeventhSL wrote:

Br. John wrote: The decision to terminate a pregnancy should be solely between the pregnant woman, her conscience and her doctor.

So zero choice = zero child support?

Non sequitur. You can't equate the inverse because it's a false equivalency.

[strike]Dude[/strike] I've only read two threads where you're involved at all, and like 75 of your posts that I've read start with "non sequitur."

Hmm... Maybe that should indicate to you there's a flaw in the popular reasoning...

P.S. Hyperbole doesn't suit you.

Well I am glad as hell you descended from the sky on a yellow nimbus cloud, sent by Tengri himself, to assume your role as the sole and inerrant judge and indicator of flaws in the popular reasoning, O great samurai of objectivity. May we all follow your example and chant the mantra of "non sequitur, non sequitur, non sequitur" until every Rosary and prayer bead in existence will not suffice to account for every utterance of those sacred words.

You don't have to like it. If logic threatens your opinion maybe you should change your opinion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205141 by

Jamie Stick wrote:

Star Forge wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote:

Star Forge wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote:

SeventhSL wrote:

Br. John wrote: The decision to terminate a pregnancy should be solely between the pregnant woman, her conscience and her doctor.

So zero choice = zero child support?

Non sequitur. You can't equate the inverse because it's a false equivalency.

[strike]Dude[/strike] I've only read two threads where you're involved at all, and like 75 of your posts that I've read start with "non sequitur."

Hmm... Maybe that should indicate to you there's a flaw in the popular reasoning...

P.S. Hyperbole doesn't suit you.

Well I am glad as hell you descended from the sky on a yellow nimbus cloud, sent by Tengri himself, to assume your role as the sole and inerrant judge and indicator of flaws in the popular reasoning, O great samurai of objectivity. May we all follow your example and chant the mantra of "non sequitur, non sequitur, non sequitur" until every Rosary and prayer bead in existence will not suffice to account for every utterance of those sacred words.

You don't have to like it. If logic threatens your opinion maybe you should change your opinion?

I'm not even part of this argument, bro. Trust me, "threatened" is the last word I would use to describe my reaction to your repetitive style of forum usage, but I am rather unsettled by your obviously solipsistic way of thinking.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205142 by
The fact that I use logic to tear apart people's shoddy reasoning and emotional appeals is solipsistic?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205144 by

Jamie Stick wrote: The fact that I use logic to tear apart people's shoddy reasoning and emotional appeals is solipsistic?

Spare me. I read that entire gun thread. I'm acquainted with your way of doing things.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205147 by
So, anecdotally, I've witnessed that either the person doesn't like whoever is doing the helping, or the person helping is being a little too helpful. Like going out of their way to be wherever the other person is to do nice things for them. Not saying that either party is wrong, but there's a fine line between just being passingly polite and being over the top polite. I do agree that if a female is having a bad day and someone -- a male in this case -- happens to try to be nice to the female, the situation can go in one of many directions. She can either say that he was harassing her, or see that not everybody is a piece of crap, or whatever her imagination inspires. In this case, there isn't enough information to determine anything beyond what was posted. Not much can really be extrapolated from this point.

• What is defined as "helping" women?

• Usually no more than "helping" men. I think the quotation marks are unnecessary because any typical helping isn't motivated by more than trying to be nice. Otherwise, why would anybody "help" the poor or homeless? Again, not enough information to go on.

• How many actual cases of men being seriously punished for such incidents as holding open a door or trying to help a woman on a project exist?

• That really depends on the sensitivities of the woman. But, then, I've also experienced men feeling threatened by being helped, too. Mainly because they feel they can do it on their own and feel like the person helping doesn't think they can do it on their own, which is just a projection of that person's insecurities onto someone just trying to help. Then again, I think it all comes down to the attitude of the helper and the helpee.

• Why is it that men are threatened by the idea of being punished for wrongdoing as opposed to being threatened by the idea that other men might be harassing and/or assaulting women in the workplace?

• I doubt this is a case of feeling threatened by the idea of being punished for wrongdoing, but being punished for even so little as a passing glance to see who's there and what they're doing. I do this all the time. It's called scanning. But, then, I'm also a supervisor, so it's a requirement, in a way. Growing up, I was taught to hold doors open for people, greet them with a "How do you do?" and be on my way. Just a polite gesture that means very little by way of what I may or may not think of that person.

Men want to be perceived as moral upstanding citizens by their actions...

I don't really see why that is a problem. Is that also not the Jedi thing to do? Do we not also want to be seen as upstanding Jedi? By our actions and the words we speak to people? I'm not going to be unexpressive toward people, as if they're just like a vegetable or a piece of furniture. That would be unhuman and un-Jedi, to me.

We're talking about undoing centuries of systematic dehumanization: women, for the better part of human existence, have been considered property not people in Western civilization.

Not arguing against that, but how many women out there, out of all the women in the Western world, think like this on a daily basis? Again, not a lot of information to say.

You see, there are lots of people out there who experience oppression on one or two axis (queer and suffering from mental illness, queer and living with a physical disability) who get caught up in a particularly violent and self-castrating ideology which paints itself as the only true form of progress. They use their oppressed status as a way to shield themselves from actual, useful criticism and refuse to acknowledge that any strategy other than their own could be more beneficial to helping themselves and others like them. Instead, this ideology creates such hostility, escalating every confrontation into a zero-sum game that many people who would otherwise help are completely turned off by what they've seen.

Agreed. Couldn't agree with you more on this observation. In fact, that was more eloquently put than I would've been able, at this point. Thank you.
    Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
    • Visitor
      Public
    8 years 6 months ago #205149 by

Star Forge wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote: The fact that I use logic to tear apart people's shoddy reasoning and emotional appeals is solipsistic?

Spare me. I read that entire gun thread. I'm acquainted with your way of doing things.

Look, if it makes things easier for you you can continue to play the indignant victim I'm good with that, but at the end of the day I don't have to resort to insults and that says to me that your argument has no substance.

• Visitor
    • Visitor
      Public
    8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205150 by
    And, quite honestly, I doubt that Feminism has ruined the workplace. Why is it that extremists get the most attention? It's because they are the loudest. It's typically the extremists who ruin things for people, from what I've gathered. Take the Westboro Baptist Church, for example. People point to them as an extreme example of Christianity and why the religion is a bad ideal to have. An ideal is one thing while the people who hold the ideal, in whatever form, will vary.

[hr]

Edit: I know I could have listed many historical events that bear the name of Christianity, but I wanted to keep it contemporary.
    Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
    • Visitor
      Public
    8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #205154 by

Jamie Stick wrote:

Star Forge wrote:

Look, if it makes things easier for you you can continue to play the indignant victim I'm good with that, but at the end of the day I don't have to resort to insults and that says to me that your argument has no substance.

What argument? I'm not even in on this discussion (nor really the last one, for that matter). I'm just saying
    This message contains confidential information
    I find you obnoxious. That's all.

MOD ALERT: slight edit, please don't assert negative characters to people directly, if you feel offended, say you feel offended - instead of trying to offend them back. Another reminder from the ToS & Rules;

"TotJO is a place for spiritual enlightenment, self discovery and discussion of many varied and wide ranging topics. Here at TotJO we debate arguments not personalities and ideas instead of people.

Everyone makes mistake and it is not simply a case of one breach of the rules and your account is suspended.The people for whom this rule applies are those who are persistent and do so in a flagrant manner, even after unofficial and official warnings about it.

It demonstrates negative traits in an individual namely disrespect for fellow users and lack of control of oneself. 'Heat of the moment' is not a viable excuse, for as Jedi one must possess more control.

So, please think about what you have typed before sending. Show your respect and consideration for your fellow Temple members by simply maintaining the self-restraint to not swear. As it is much easier to control this behaviour when typing than it is in verbal conversation, there really is no acceptable excuse
    "
    Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Adder.

More
    8 years 6 months ago #205155 by Edan
    Do I really need to repeat? Ideas not people please...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• ren
      Registered
    • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
    More
    8 years 6 months ago #205158 by ren

Jamie Stick wrote:

ren wrote: Choosing to be a father and choosing to be a mother are false equivalences?

I don't know about parental roles

Then you should not have compared them to something they can't be compared to.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi