Sharing a locker room with a transgender

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #183436 by
I think someone already mentioned a third bathroom for transgendered. On the surface I kinda like that idea...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183438 by
I'm sorry if I came across as angry, I am passionate about this, but not angry. It's also just an issue that hits really close to home... These are my people and there's a very real reason why I don't workout in gyms anymore. I'm excited for the potential this has for future victories for trans people, but I'm also scared about whether humanity--even humans who pride themselves in their progressivism like Americans--is ready to accept transgender people or not.

As for voyeurism, that's just it. A transgender person1 is just trying to shower, use the toilet, and change clothes. The woman assumed that simply because the person in the locker room didn't conform to cisgender heteronormative expectations of gender that that person was up to no good. The irony there is that by demanding to know a person's plumbing configuration, you're turning that same undesired voyeurism on transgender people and demanding to know them. Accepting transgender people regardless of how they present themselves does not preclude the possibility of banning and legally prosecuting sexual harassment (which is what non-consensual voyeurism is).2

I think I need to make a post about queer terminology and concepts now. Thanks, LTK. I now have a new project (which coincides with another project I'm working on). :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #183439 by

LTK wrote: I think someone already mentioned a third bathroom for transgendered. On the surface I kinda like that idea...

This is an idea transgender people have suggested themselves, however that doesn't do anything for transgender people who identify as male or female. It only helps those trans people who are gender non-conforming.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 months ago #183440 by RyuJin
southpark tackles the issue:

http://www.out.com/entertainment/popnography/2014/10/10/south-park-tackles-trans-kids-bathroom-rights-lorde-cissy

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 2 months ago #183441 by Amaya
Without trying to offend, if I am using a female changing room and there was someone that had male bits I would want them not to use the same dressing room.
But maybe a unisex changing room would be a better option. Then its down to choice. Our local swimming baths has an open changing room that has private cubicles if you wish to use them.

Everything is belief

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183442 by Adder
I prefer the separate bathroom option, its the most flexible solution mixing privacy and security for both sides of the discussion IMO. I'd guess the transgender mtf doesn't want her man junk falling out in front of people either?

The biggest gripe I have is probably female children using female lockers... I think they probably shouldn't be seeing an adult males package in such an uncontrolled and unsolicited way, and I know of women that really do not want to see male bits and bobs when they are getting changed.

While transgender people want to fit in as much as possible, it's still a possibility that any man can dress up as a women for the wrong reasons and use transgender as an excuse - my female friends do not like that risk plain and simple, and it would be enough for them to go to a different gym to avoid it. Otherwise they are completely supportive of transgender folk - but they've all been perved on, chased, groped, attacked etc enough by pervy straight guys for decades that they have a tangible level of alertness which unfortunately decays the capacity to exert trust to any male, even if purporting to be transgender, when it comes to getting naked. Now if they knew the transgender person already then it would not be a problem generally speaking. I hope my views don't offend anyone, its not intended.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Adder.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183446 by RyuJin
the last time i had a gym membership i changed at home...arrived at the gym already dressed to workout...if i had to go somewhere after the gym i simply planned accordingly by either going earlier or leaving earlier...that eliminates the entire chance of seeing the wrong bits & bobs...and of course there is always the option of simply working out at home...

there simply isn't a way of accommodating everyone, without offending someone...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #183454 by

RyuJin wrote: there simply isn't a way of accommodating everyone, without offending someone...

Perhaps we need to eradicate the idea that we should avoid offending everyone. I'm perfectly comfortable offending a few transphobic m'f'ers from time to time.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 2 months ago #183457 by RyuJin
if anyone can figure out how to do that...lol

i'll just continue to be me...the fool that occasionally offends someone unintentionally.

Quotes:

More
9 years 2 months ago #183460 by Breeze el Tierno
Speaking from my own place, two things come up.

A) I have long thought that key to respecting an individual is identifying them as they would choose to be identified. This often means how they refer to themselves, but not always. At the most essential level, I treat it like a name. If someone introduces herself as Jane then Jane is what I will call her. Not too tough.

B) I don't like being leered at in the locker room. So, if you're not leering at me, chances are that we're good. Again, not too tough.

I say good for Planet Fitness.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi