A Problem.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170735 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic A Problem.
FA happens to not just "hand" the title over. Jedi is earned

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170740 by
Replied by on topic A Problem.
What is the criteria for calling yourself a Christian? "I believe in Christ and strive to follow His ways, therefore, I am a Christian" There is no other litmus test necessary, though each denomination has their own added criteria.

The same can be said for being a Jedi. "I believe in the Jedi way, therefore I am a Jedi"

More
9 years 5 months ago #170743 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic A Problem.
Must believe:

Christ Died on the cross for our sins, he rose on the third day
Christ's Teachings
And the 10 Commandments
God is the one and only God of the world
And then act accordingly

To have only the second and last ones means you follow the philosophy of Christ. Doesn't actually make you a Christian. Just as good as one in the grand scheme of things- but not one.

Which is the same as Jedi. It's not the only way to be a great person working towards betterment of the world.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
9 years 5 months ago #170744 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic A Problem.
I am not certain that this is an issue with Jedi in particular so much as any religion or philosophy or order. There are sects that identify as Christian, but other Christian sects regard them as heretics. I can think of no major religion, off hand, that does not have a similar dynamic at work. There may be one, but that is beside the point.

My point is that, beyond a few rudimentary indicators, the community is resistant to defining the term Jedi in any great detail. But perhaps we should put our energy elsewhere.

We already have a situation where rank tends not to migrate from one group to another. But the name seems to. Rather than suggesting that one is or is not a Jedi, perhaps we should we should concerns ourselves with what makes a good Jedi.

A bad Christian remains a Christian until they decide not to be.

Better yet, if we concern ourselves with whether or not we are good Jedi, and support each other to get better, we will start seeing a larger group of people providing the example.

I figure we will have better luck pointing at human examples of what a Jedi should/could be than a paper one. Therefore, we take on the responsibility of walking the Jedi walk instead of writing the next code or set of rules.

Personally, I keep a list of "Jedi to Watch," people who are providing the kind if example that I would like to emulate. It is a short list and I am not up to the level of practice for these people, but I find looking at them more compelling than only reading the code.

But I still read the Code.

This is an organ process. It will take time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Brenna, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170747 by

Cabur Senaar wrote:
Better yet, if we concern ourselves with whether or not we are good Jedi, and support each other to get better, we will start seeing a larger group of people providing the example.

I figure we will have better luck pointing at human examples of what a Jedi should/could be than a paper one. Therefore, we take on the responsibility of walking the Jedi walk instead of writing the next code or set of rules.

Personally, I keep a list of "Jedi to Watch," people who are providing the kind if example that I would like to emulate. It is a short list and I am not up to the level of practice for these people, but I find looking at them more compelling than only reading the code.

It will take time.

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Eastern-studies/81837-taoism#170403

:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170759 by
Alethea brought up the example of the ISIL leader, but I can bet you that probably a large number of Muslims do not consider that man a Muslim, but you know what, I doubt that makes any differences to him at all, he will still continue calling himself a Muslim regardless.

Similarly anyone in the world can just call themselves a Jedi, it is even possible that a new religious movement will develop alongside ours, one far larger, and then they will call themselves "Jedi" and we'll be the "outcasts", but is that going to get me to stop using the name? No.

TotJO - or anyone - simply does not have the power, nor the right, to say universally what is and what is not a Jedi. Where do we have that power and that right? Within and only within the confines of our own organisation.

The membership of people has been retracted in the past...

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #170771 by ren
Replied by ren on topic A Problem.
I have felt a bit let down by that thread where a lot of people supported the death penalty. Perhaps if knights and clergy and such got a bit more involved, such discussions would benefit from the input of those better acquainted with the doctrine.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170779 by

ren wrote: I have felt a bit let down by that thread where a lot of people supported the death penalty. Perhaps if knights and clergy and such got a bit more involved, such discussions would benefit from the input of those better acquainted with the doctrine.

That thread continues to puzzle me.

When I queried the death penalty thing, I received considered and thoughtful answers along the lines of "the doctrine isn't meant to be swallowed whole, each must make up her or his own mind where they stand", which I accepted.

I have continued to wonder, though.

If something so apparently fundamental can be ignored by an individual just because it doesn't suit them in a particular case, then what's the point of having doctrine anyway?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170781 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic A Problem.

Callan wrote: That thread continues to puzzle me.

When I queried the death penalty thing, I received considered and thoughtful answers along the lines of "the doctrine isn't meant to be swallowed whole, each must make up her or his own mind where they stand", which I accepted.

I have continued to wonder, though.

If something so apparently fundamental can be ignored by an individual just because it doesn't suit them in a particular case, then what's the point of having doctrine anyway?

I wouldnt personally say ignored. As youve said yourself, "considered and thoughtful answers" But I would say that perhaps some peoples world views have not yet evolved to the point of being able to accept that part of the doctrine. Mine included.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #170782 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic A Problem.

ren wrote: I have felt a bit let down by that thread where a lot of people supported the death penalty. Perhaps if knights and clergy and such got a bit more involved, such discussions would benefit from the input of those better acquainted with the doctrine.

Well, if it bothers you, maybe you should join the clergy and lead by example?

lol....;)

I personally support it, but am always willing to discuss it... Not this thread though, lol...

And I am clergy...;)

Callan wrote: If something so apparently fundamental can be ignored by an individual just because it doesn't suit them in a particular case, then what's the point of having doctrine anyway?

Jestor wrote: I personally support it, but am always willing to discuss it... Not this thread though, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi