Rape Culture

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #152860 by
Replied by on topic Rape Culture

Daniel L. wrote: ...are we just getting used to seeing this sort of thing?

I can't see anybody getting used to seeing rape, no matter how exposed they are to it. Though, I say this because I can't see myself getting used to it. I watched 'I Spit On Your Grave', before. I had to stop watching it because I was getting pissed off at not being able to stop what was being acted out. I finally finished it and the young woman got her revenge, in the end. That was the 1978 version. They remade it in 2010. Same reaction. Will I ever get used to seeing rape? I damn well hope not.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #152861 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Rape Culture
I hardly ever see rape in the movies, but plenty of other stuff which is illegal or not appropriate. I think "adults" should be above being normalised by media.

IMO the problem is purely with the rapist, no-one else, not the victim, not (Western) society;

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, , Brenna, Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #152922 by
I removed this post because I'm nice and it wasn't worth keeping lol.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 9 months ago #152944 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rape Culture

sidvkili wrote: I removed this post because I'm nice and it wasn't worth keeping lol.

A pity. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #152948 by
I saw this video and it reminded me of this discussion thread. I think it was eloquently thought out and spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpx5krBBEI

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #152978 by
That woman hit the nail on the head and it reminds me of another which is less about feminism and more about rape culture.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #152980 by
That really speaks volumes about it and puts things in better perspective. I don't have any nice words to say about those that made the bad decision to hurt others, so I'll leave it out. Thank you for sharing that.

More
9 years 9 months ago #152982 by Zanthan Storm
Replied by Zanthan Storm on topic Rape Culture
There are so many ways to reply to this.

Often times... rape culture is restricted. Studies are altered to serve one group or another... This stuff really.. comes down to ...

BE A DECENT HUMAN BEING.

Women don't force stuff on men (sexual or otherwise)
Men don't force stuff on women (sexual or otherwise)

BE respectful
No means no.
People who have been raped... That sucks. I see it on a weekly basis... They need help and protection. People who'cry wolf' they are doing as much harm, because then those who it actually happens to... well their voice is lessened. People who do this.. should be charged with false claims and it should be a high punishment.

As to who or why... To be honest... I don't care outside of that they get caught. Again, studies to prove anything here. However, it should be treated as any crime. Innocent til proven guilty and the person to claims rape should be safe.

Simple. No political aims... nothing else. This culture... should not exist. Period.

Zanthan Storm
AKA Rev. Michael Ziskovsky OCP D.Div.

Master Knight of Jediism
Founder of Roseville, MN Chapter of TOTJO

Current Apprentice: The Coyote
Past Master: GM Neaj Pa Bol
Past Apprentices: Sr. Knight Kira, Knight Myos, Doriann

"Let no one thing control your life, seek to be complete and at peace."
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #153525 by

Luthien wrote: I saw this video and it reminded me of this discussion thread. I think it was eloquently thought out and spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpx5krBBEI

I actually spoke to her very briefly in a discussion thread, smart for her age. Smarter than I am now rofl

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #153528 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rape Culture

sidvkili wrote:

Luthien wrote: I saw this video and it reminded me of this discussion thread. I think it was eloquently thought out and spoken.

I actually spoke to her very briefly in a discussion thread, smart for her age. Smarter than I am now rofl

I got a little way into the video and stopped when I hit a very common misunderstanding. Of all the potential etymologies for the English word
Warning: Spoiler!
in an invective denoting "cowardly" or "timid", not a single one of them has anything to do with women or their genitals. At all. Can we put this assumption to bed, then?
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi