Rape Culture

More
9 years 10 months ago #151452 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rape Culture

Jamie Stick wrote: Am I the only one who finds it a little more than ironic that a thread about rape culture which has already been defined multiple times as a social attitude which trivializes and dismisses the experiences of rape victims has been turned into a thread about false rape accusations? :whistle:

Is it a societal/cultural construct? Or is it a byproduct of the nature of a world where "might makes right"? Is it a vestige of our evolutionary past that we can vanquish by becoming more "civilized"? Is it a widespread cultural phenomenon brought about by thousands of years of oppression of the limiting factor of human repopulation? Or is it a shock term used to describe the way the world looks to some?

I won't say rape culture isn't a thing; it is. I just don't think the majority of the Western world has one as typically defined. *prepares inbox for hate mail*

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #151455 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Rape Culture
If what is being discussed is not actually a rape, such as a false accusation, then it might be better called a false accusation culture.

But I'm not really familiar with the concept at all, I thought rape culture meant the culture where rape occurs. For some reason it does still, it simply should never happen, there is no excuse for it to happen. So rape culture then (to me) was why does actual rape occur so much that it can be perceived as a culture (of assault). Things like dissassociatives, hormone fuelled (usually naive) young adults, social and cultural attributes or the influences of some types of mental illness.

All the peripheral issues of false accusations etc I think are a byproduct of that its a type of physical assault which can occur without any physical evidence. That simple attribute does not change the fact it is still physical assault, but creates the opportunity for a diverse exogenesis of abuse (from both sides).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Adder.

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Inactive
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
9 years 10 months ago #151462 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Rape Culture
Warning: Spoiler!

Well Jamie, it sounds like you're projecting your feelings onto me and twisting my words to find some hidden meaning that isn't there. I find your response rude, inconsiderate, and I do believe you owe me an apology.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #151463 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Rape Culture
It's part of rape culture because it's every day stuff.

I mean, lawyers don't make enough money out of other people doing it anymore, so they're starting to make up the accusations themselves... Failed your exams? claim someone raped you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-28045679

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 10 months ago #151465 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rape Culture

ren wrote: It's part of rape culture because it's every day stuff.

I mean, lawyers don't make enough money out of other people doing it anymore, so they're starting to make up the accusations themselves... Failed your exams? claim someone raped you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-28045679

I have to agree. As I said before, cheapening the experience of rape by using it for manipulation is a part of rape culture.

people like this make my blood boil, because of course, it makes the news and results in people assuming that this is the norm and that real rape either doesn't happen or isn't a problem.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Kit, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 9 months ago #151704 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Rape Culture

Brenna wrote: I think its important to remember that rape culture is not about feminism or about a break down (i hesitate to use the term war) between genders, though its is often cited as an issue within most feminist "agendas"...

Bottom line. The culture does not take rape or sexual violence as seriously as it should.

I agree.

The thing about rape culture is that it is so much more than physical sexual violence. That rapes occur at all (whether to a woman or a man, adult or child, perpetrated by a woman or a man) is a horror all its own. Rape culture takes it a step further.

Rape culture, as has been said already, focuses on victim-blaming and fetishizing sexual violence. At the same time, it encourages speech that trivializes rape.

I run into examples quite often. Someone wins a game or contest. Soon, you hear the phrase, " I raped the competition." Bizarre that one would equate having committed a rape with victory, but this goes to show how pervasively raoe culture has infiltrated the language. And language has a huge effect on how we think. The whole "legitimate rape" discussion of the past year was absolutely astonishing.

If, as a man, you feel that standing up to rape culture is somehow against your interests then I must ask why you believe that a culture that is rape-permissive serves your interests.

As for feminism, sexism and the devaluation of women as human beings hurts everyone. If you meet the proverbial "man-hater", find a friendlier person to hang out with. Better yet, take a moment to find out why she might be angry. If you can have that conversation then you may just learn something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• ren
    Registered
More
9 years 9 months ago #151707 by ren
I disagree with your assessment over the use of the word "rape". it is used (in such cases) to mean "violent assault from which there is no escape". Base-raping for instance has to do with gamers killing opponent characters as soon as they appear, leaving them no other choice but be killed over and over again. it has nothing to do with trivializing actual rape, but simply using a same word to describe two related concepts.

The comparison does bring up a good point though: instead of looking at rape as sexual, we can look at it as being violence. In our culture we are incredibly desensitized to violence. Those video game shooters constitute entertainment. Even things like Star Wars are seen by kids as entertainment... Yet they are violent movies. The baddies are violent, the Jedi are violent (even their symbol is a powerful weapon). Even the heroes abandon their simple lives of farmboy and mechanic for a path of violence...
Yet at the same time we live in a society that tells us from the youngest age that beating the crap out of people is wrong... So people become violent (hurt other people) in other ways, the most violent of which is rape.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151726 by
Replied by on topic Rape Culture

Attachment hff6238f.png not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #151728 by
Replied by on topic Rape Culture
Ren Wrote:

male circumcision is carried out by jews, muslims and americans, that's about it.

I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority.

In short Jews, Muslims and Christians have circumcision as part of their religious belief system. That starts at about 54% of the worlds population. It is probably higher but I don't have all the numbers.

I have carefully read and tried to understand all of the important information that has been presented in this thread. Most of you have been very thoughtful and respectful towards each others points of view. Each of us has come from a different upbringing and have different life experiences. The point I tried to convey in the starting text of this post is that sometimes we inadvertently OR specifically, blame a group, country, or whatever in order to make a point. Lets stick to facts and figures and leave out the personal "attacks" (not really the word I want to use). The truth will point to those responsible for the hideous crimes of rape and violent sexual assault. I would hope that none of us here are guilty of rape and that we are here to discuss how we can recognize and assist our governments with stopping this problem, and help victims of these crimes.

The question I pose is this...

Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures?
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

• ren
    Registered
More
9 years 9 months ago #151754 by ren

I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority.

? Jews do it for religious reasons, as do muslims. Wherever they may live, whichever nationality they may hold. In north america, you guys do it because the holistic enema-loving masturbation-hating vegetarian guy who invented corn flakes told your great grand parents they should. He failed to produce any offspring and was chucked out of his church. There are far more christians outside the US than within it, and they do not practise male genital mutilation. In the US it has to do with national culture, not religion. The majority of those who practise it there merely happen to be christian. The bulk of christianity today sees its roots in ancient europe, and the ancient europeans found circumcision abominable. Only very few christians (with african roots) pratice it religiously.

The question I pose is this...

Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures?

If statistics on this were in anyway not completely made up, i'd say gender equality is to blame. Just compare sweden with the united arab emirates.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi