Rape Culture

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153529 by
Replied by on topic Rape Culture

steamboat28 wrote: Can we put this assumption to bed, then?

Of all the threads you could've said this in….Have you no decency, man!?!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153536 by

steamboat28 wrote: I got a little way into the video and stopped when I hit a very common misunderstanding. Of all the potential etymologies for the English word

Warning: Spoiler!
in an invective denoting "cowardly" or "timid", not a single one of them has anything to do with women or their genitals. At all. Can we put this assumption to bed, then?

This would be a valid criticism if it weren't for the fact that the use of the term as an insult is a double entendre and that it can be found similarly in other languages where the term for cat and a derogatory term for the vulva are played off as the same to connote that the person being addressed is soft (like a kitten) and weak (like a woman). True etymology doesn't matter here because people use the term knowingly, or at least subconsciously, with the association of the term with the vulva and stereotype of women's frailty. Modern colloquial use of the term has more in common with the usage of "sissy" and the phrase "don't be a girl".

More
9 years 8 months ago #153568 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rape Culture

Jamie Stick wrote: True etymology doesn't matter here because people use the term knowingly, or at least subconsciously...

I disagree, mostly because words mean things , but also because the threads of this particular bit of linguistic disaster were allowed to intertwine because people don't know that words mean things. (I really need to trademark that phrase as often as I use it.)

Furthermore, the majority of these "misogynistic" phrases actually have their root more in "you're not being manly enough" than "you're being too much like a woman." One doesn't necessarily infer the other, and the difference in the two is large. They've just been allowed to be combined by a large populace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #153616 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Rape Culture
It's the evil patriarchy man. We get to be dicks and women pussies. Coz you know, throughout history cats have been seen as disgusting worthless animals not deserving of any kind of attention and all. You know dem cats vandalized the pyramids with selfies in egypt? Filthy things. Now being named after male genitalia and the greatest politician ever Dick Nixon, that's just pure honour and glory.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170994 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7aYT3etYWc&index=37&list=UUQb22imbIqKKWOC98C8Rm2A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171648 by
After having read some (though admittedly not all) comments on this thread, there is something I feel must be clarified. Now, when I say this, I want you all to know that I am by no means a blind follower of feminism or of any other socio-political movement, as I feel its important to be a free and critical thinker in all things. That being said, I caution my fellow Jedi here on the danger of falling down the slippery slope that states that all feminists are extremists intent on oppressing men. I completely agree with the OP that gender discrimination flows both ways and that it is dangerous to paint all men as oppressors and all women as victims. Men and women both get raped, assaulted and discriminated against based on their specific sex parts. Even so, however, it seems that the vast majority of human cultures on Earth, whether subtly or overtly, grant men more privilege than women in society. There are of course exceptions (traditional aboriginal cultures for one, among others) and there are many cases where women have official equality with men (such as under the laws of most western democratic nations). The problem is, we still however live in a society where rape is normalized. The example given of gamers using phrases such as "I got raped!" or "I raped you!" to describe defeat or victory in video games is a dangerous example of that. Society and the media find excuses for rape and downplay or demonize movements like feminism which oppose rape culture.

I'm from Canada, and recently a prominent host from one of the CBC's radio shows, Jian Ghomeshi, was accused of raping a coworker. My first reaction was caution and a desire to see more evidence and a fair trial ensue since, whatever else he may have done, the man is still a Canadian citizen and deserves that much. I was very much shot down by several extremists for this opinion, so I get the concern that men's opinions are trivialized. Even so, however, more testimony has since come out, and its becoming clearer by the day that Ghomeshi is guilty.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that while there is truth to the fact that sexism happens to both women and men, rape culture is very much wrong and must be opposed. To do so, I feel Jedi and Feminists and every other decent member of Homo Sapiens Sapiens is going to need to make a conscious effort to change things. Education is the first step on this path.

Anyway, just my two cents! May the Force be with you all! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174460 by

ren wrote:

I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority.

? Jews do it for religious reasons, as do muslims. Wherever they may live, whichever nationality they may hold. In north america, you guys do it because the holistic enema-loving masturbation-hating vegetarian guy who invented corn flakes told your great grand parents they should. He failed to produce any offspring and was chucked out of his church. There are far more christians outside the US than within it, and they do not practise male genital mutilation. In the US it has to do with national culture, not religion. The majority of those who practise it there merely happen to be christian. The bulk of christianity today sees its roots in ancient europe, and the ancient europeans found circumcision abominable. Only very few christians (with african roots) pratice it religiously.

The question I pose is this...

Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures?

If statistics on this were in anyway not completely made up, i'd say gender equality is to blame. Just compare sweden with the united arab emirates.

To be fair, though, I am sure there are some Christian Zionists who look highly upon it due to their EXTREME Philo-Semitism.

Circumcision pisses me off, but can you imagine the uproar if we ever got it banned here? "Dose anti-Semitic BASTIDS!!!!!"

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175647 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic how to be a superhero
The EXTREME truth about rape

Rape is 95% about power and dominance over another person.
sexual arousal is not the catalyst for the rape rather the thought or fantasy of dominating the other iz the catalyst for sexual arousal

rapists are acting out on an internal abberation

Feeling powerless at fundamental level theylash out at someone percieved as weaker and impose their dominace

in virtually every instance they were victims of traumatic helplessness themselves and in their lack of knowing their own worth and power they feel the need to strip away the self worth and thus the power of another. Which as you can see only spreads the illness

There is a imo a generally unconscious part of the common psyche which veiews the opposite sex as threatening and therefore in a way an enemy to be defeated. meanwhile the greater truth of our biology and our psychology is that we are literally MADE FOR EACH OTHER. (This is not to imply judgement of same gender relationships and i hope that no one would be low enough to take any piecce ofthese insights and use them to further a personal agenda of condemnation.)

and so the dichotomy may exist in both sexes where on the one hand we desire each other greatly but also we fear each other greatly
With women being physically weaker as a rule, and the abberant male having already objectified femeninity as an object of sexual desire, the link to arousal is an inevitable result of realisation that physical dominance is achievable

(Quick note to women about your "weakness" which the men in your lives will mostly attest is true by thesimple excersize of ASKING ONE'S FEINGS is that it makes you more desirable to both a healthy and unhealthy male mind- the unhealthy because he resonates with the desire to defeat you and the healthy because he resonates with the desire to defend you. A defining characteriztic of our masculinity iz that we WANT to be your champions and defenders every bit as much as you want us to be your knight in shining amore)

The abberant female has to be more subtle, for her dominance must first be achieved subliminally within the male. Because she is unconsciously motivated by a desire to "defeat" the other her female relationships will alwayz be characterized by competition and her romantic relationships with males will always be characterized by mistreatment because she is drawn to men whom she wants to dominate or at least she feels a need to dominate the men to whom she is drawn. She will go about this with a systematic prccess of emasculation
she will convince him that he is an abuser if he standz up for himself but she will sleep with his friends if he doez not. In fact the greater the betrayal tor the greater the sense of emasculation the betrayal will produce the more disireable it becomes in her mind.

She would rather sex your father than your boss
your boss than your friend
your friend than your rival
your rival than a stranger
a stranger than you
you only az an inferior to her

The sex act for both is selfish. Abberant male sees an object for him t to sexually conquor and the abberant female sees an object to sexually serve her

In both cases it is an abberation of a person who has forgotten their worth and their power as a result of victimisation

the battle of the sexes begins withn the emotional landscape of me and you
only then is externalized

But the TRUTH of rape is that it is NOT A GENDER ISSUE

Psychologically all instances when one lersons will imposes itself upon someone else such a way as to manifest the feelings of dominance in one throuwgh the feelig of powerlessness of another is rape.

THE CURE

The only cure for rape is empowerment and love
i use the singular "the only" to denote a plural "empowerment AND love" because of this: the balance is not between love and hate-it is between love and power. A powerful being who cannot or simply does not love is out of harmony. In this state we spread the disease rather than sharing the cure.

All of us are powerful. The balance is not between power and weakness
it is between power and love
All of us are powerful but we must accept our power and we must proclaim our power
to do this properly we must JUSTIFY our power and THIS is the truth of love. We accept the truth of our worth and thusof our power only through love. INTERNAL love. Love FROM the self TO the self
This is the real source of our power but we HAVE power regardless of wheather we deserve it or not. The abberant seeks power because he feels powerless and thus he proclaims "my power is justified merely by my HAVING it and by my TAKING it

They say "i HAVE it therefore i am WORTH it" but they always doubt and this is why they fear and must take. Because they do not know that they already have enough.

Love - from the self to the self - says only "i am WORTH it" or at least says "i am ALLOWED to be worth it"

When you CHOOSE to accept that it is OK to LOVE YOURSELF eEXATCLY AS YOU ARE RIGHT NOW you will begin the proccess of freeing yourself not just fromthe pain of the rape but from even the POSSIBILITY of anyone ever being able to truly rape you again
because rape is an attempt to take your power away from you but the truth is that power is ones degree of INTERNAL influence not EXTERNAL influence - therefore someone may be able to overwhelm your body but no one can truly TAKE your POWER -
because your power is your character and your character is up to you

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175648 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic how to be a superhero
Double post.

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175700 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rape Culture

Zanthan Storm wrote: There are so many ways to reply to this.

Often times... rape culture is restricted. Studies are altered to serve one group or another... This stuff really.. comes down to ...

BE A DECENT HUMAN BEING.

Women don't force stuff on men (sexual or otherwise)
Men don't force stuff on women (sexual or otherwise)

BE respectful
No means no.
People who have been raped... That sucks. I see it on a weekly basis... They need help and protection. People who'cry wolf' they are doing as much harm, because then those who it actually happens to... well their voice is lessened. People who do this.. should be charged with false claims and it should be a high punishment.

As to who or why... To be honest... I don't care outside of that they get caught. Again, studies to prove anything here. However, it should be treated as any crime. Innocent til proven guilty and the person to claims rape should be safe.

Simple. No political aims... nothing else. This culture... should not exist. Period.

Which group are the studies that u mentioned altered to serve?
Can you tell me where precisely i might find these studies?

Thead is about RAPE CULTURE i sure you read the definition yeah?
the short version is that people- inuding women blame the victim instead of the victimizer

I respectfully inform you that 99.9999999999999999% of ALL rapes are done by men

Before i was twenty i knew AT LEAST THREE girls who had been raped
One of them before she was 7 and one before she waz 11 and one by her brother before she was 15

Now im 34
Ive done time on a prison farm
ive lived outside under bridges and in the bushes
Ive known. OF more than a dozen women who have been raped.
On the street there are women who have been raped many times

Ive known OF several men being raped
ive never
ever
personally known of a woman raping anyone.
ever
and i respectfully inform you that if a girl or woman readi g this thread who has been raped were to read you- with the word jedi tied to your name
talking about rape you say "that sucks"
"girls shouldnt cry wolf"
""if you cant PROVE you were raped you should face high punishment"
"innocent until proven guilty"

Like your entire post is a perfect example of RAPE CULTURE
"that sucks"??
if your daughter
Or your mother
or your sister
ever says
daddy i was raped last night
are you really gonna stand on
"that sucks" ?
are you going to tell her how bad it would be to CRY WOLF

If you see victims weekly why arent you more informed and sensitive to the proper way to address this?
Dont you think that of the women who frequent this forumn its the ones who have been raped that will be most affected by your words, whatever they may be?

I respectfully inform you that your words have already been read by a woman who has been raped

OBVIOUSLY any suspect should be "innocent until proven guilty"
OBVIOUSLY women who accuse someone of this when it isnt true, make it easy for people who are not informed or else dont care to act as if thats anywhere near the same issue. The onmy way mozt of the time to PROVE rape iz with DNA
Specifically
semen
You know what one of the firsg impulses is of peope after bei g raped?
to take a shower
to clean oneself

Look
The recurring theme in your post is to doubt and condemn the girl who speaks out
rather than the man who rapes

I mean you said more about women lying than men raping

And what DID you say about them "as for why i really dont care"
but they should be "innocent til..."
yeah i know it COULD be read as you saying that "you dont care what their reasons are because its wrong to rape women."
but i dont KNOW if thats how i should read jt because you really didnt elaborate
you made it VERY CLEAR that you do not suppot women lying about being raped and that they dezerve "high punishment"
Didnt read anything about "innocent until proven guilty" for the

YOU ARE EXAMPLE OF RAPE CULTURE

I respectfully inform you that you owe it to yourself and your status and your community to do a book report on rape statistics
rape recovery
Prosecution of rape suspects
and rape.prevention

Az well as to publicly state that your position is in full support of all victims of any kind of assualt and NOT IN ANY WAY do you condone or support rape and that it was an unfortunate slilp of judgement in choice of words but that it should not be taken to suggest that if one of the women posting here were to admit to having been raped thT it would ever even cross your mind to say such tbings to her OR ABOUT HER BEHIND HER BACK

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi