Defended Jediism yesterday...against my wife

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44294 by

Akasha Aditya wrote: I hope its alright that I throw my 2 cents in here.

<snip>

I'm not versed in the bible in any way, shape, or form. I believe that while it is good, I can't follow something that has been in men's hands for so long. Man can be evil and the religions of old, even Christianity, loved the power they had.

Anyways, those last scriptures that were quoted, the problem I see there is "did we not do these things for you?" That in and of itself seems to be the problem. We should not do things hoping to enter heaven, we should do things for others simply because we can. By doing that we can enter heaven. Doing what was stated in the last scriptures quoted seems to be done for selfish reasons.

<snip>

Just my opinion though.

I think you just made my point: you look at those scriptures differently than I do. But that's okay. I think your reading of it is just as valid. Who's to say? Unless Jesus were here to tell us what he meant, we are left with nuanced views of the Gospel scriptures I quoted. Religions have broken up into multiple sects over stuff like this.

But thank you for sharing your opinion!

May The Force Be With You.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44295 by

Manu wrote: My two cents here as well :)

I think "jedi" as a religion IS hilarious, and that's one of its strengths. Anyone who follows the jedi path long enough is able to laugh at himself for his "ridiculous religion" and not take things too seriously. When you are able to laugh at yourself, you let go of hardwired paradygms and are more open to new things, ideas, events.

"Parody" religions are not uncommon, take a look at Discordianism, The Church of the subgenius, etc. Their members tend to be very positive, full of humor, creative and open, and because of such qualities, knowledgeable about comparative religions and a bunch of other things.

All hail Yoda! :laugh:

Hello Manu,

I don't think Jediism as a religion is hilarious at all. I don't believe anyone at this Temple that is going through the Initiate Program or has moved onto Apprenticeship and beyond is laughing at themselves.

Granted, I'm still a Novice in Jediism (literally), but this religion is taking the universal truths where ever we can find them in ANY culture or religion. What's funny about that? We're just as real and viable a religion as the Baptists down the street. Some people just can't get past a name.

Anyway, I hope you stick around here as long as I plan to. All perspectives molded toward the Jedi way can only yield a positive in my view.

-Learn_To_Know

More
12 years 5 months ago #44297 by Wescli Wardest
I wholeheartedly agree with Learn-to-know!

Even though I have believed many of these truths long before I came here, I did not have the knowledge to convey my beliefs until I started the initiates program. Nor the resources, knowledgeable people of like opinion and view points, to speak with and receive guidance from. Granted, I do not agree with everyone all the time; the open exchange of ideas, acceptance and tolerance of others is a blessing which I have not found before.

I know this may sound like a negative response, but it is not meant to. I fully mean it to be taken as positive feed back on the defense of TOTJO.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #44298 by Adder
I've mentioned it to my wife, but she is familiar with me doing stranger things so this doesnt worry her. The Temple's logo is our iPad's background and I even had her listen to bits of a couple of the Initiate Program audio lectures (she wants to hear more of The Field but says it might be too scientific). She already though has a history of spiritual interests so I think she understood my initial hack of an explanation. I think I'll try my sister next, now that will be interesting... or maybe not, because she'll run with it and tell everyone LOL. I'd like to at least control it somewhat so I can provide some answers and clarity. This topic does seem to be a real issue for sure.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #44302 by Jestor

Manu wrote: I didn't say Jediism is a parody religion, though I do realize I might have unwittingly implied it. I do not think it is a parody religion per say, but I do believe it is an asset that Jedi *know* that none of its history or background is to be taken literally (since Jediism is not about the movies, but about the philosophical concepts therein). It is a sure fire way of escaping the risks of fanaticism.

As you can see from the responses after yours, people there is no escape from fanaticism...

Not that the responses are rabidly so, but, there are always people who take stuff too serious.... And too serious is subjective.... Maybe I'm not serious enough? Again, it us subjective... lol...

This position, that I have in the Temple, is a serious one, but, it has to be tempered with humor....

Because, we argue about, God, no god, the Force, Allah, Aphrodite, Zues.... We can continue to argue forever... We will find out the answers.... So on this earthly plane, it does no good to get all worked up over something that currently cannot be proven, of disproven....

My name is Jestor for a reason, many actually... One is the ability to laugh at myself... I have a great propensity to self-degregate for humor... Everyone enjoys laughing at the follies of others... I intentionally will set myself up to be the butt of a joke....

I didn't think you implied that it was a parody religion.... And I agree that it is great that we realize our stories are not real... To me, the bible thumpers have forgotten that... Real or no, the point is listen to the lesson, don't get hung up on the deeds.... ;)

Though as a constructive criticism - as I've been there - many newcomers to any religion (Jedi or other) tend to place too much of an emphasis on their new religion to be accepted and less emphasis on simply letting its fruits speak for themselves.

... letting the fruits speak for themselves.

Awesome!

Learn_to_Know wrote: I don't think Jediism as a religion is hilarious at all. I don't believe anyone at this Temple that is going through the Initiate Program or has moved onto Apprenticeship and beyond is laughing at themselves.

I just picked one that had this sentiment, and yours because, like I said above, I love to laugh at myself...

Yes, I love this stuff... And while I do take it serious, I remember to laugh a little as well....

Life is to short, filled with enough people being serious for me to add another...

I've gotten pissy, one time about explaining what it is we do here, and it was to my non-religious wife...

Who yelled, and screamed, literally, that "this was fake, and what the f**k was wrong with me?"

Lots you don't know about me, but she is non religious... I do love her, but, emotions were a little aggirated around the Jestor compound in that time period...

I told her, not to nicely, that being as she knows nothing about religion, she should just shut up, because argueing about something that she doesn't understand makes her look stupid...

I do regret my delivery, but she has left me and "my jedi stuff", alone... It barely gets brought up.... Although interestingly enough, I've been in trouble for comments I've made in these public forums.... Weird, right? ;)

Just my two cents as well.... :lol:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

&quot;Bake or bake not. There is no fry&quot; - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44305 by
Well, I sure do hope that I am not coming off as a fanatic, I just believe this religion to be a good basis, and core of values, to try to mold my life around. I have a long road ahead of me lol.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 5 months ago #44310 by Jestor
No, no one here is acting fanatical....

Just a little defensive....

But when a persons beliefs get poked at enough, some get.... weary of it...

Even myself at times... ;)

"I have to explain again?" and "what part are you having trouble with?"

Once in a while, you will see me loose my patience with a troll, or spammer here in a post or in the Shout...

I'm working on that.. lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

&quot;Bake or bake not. There is no fry&quot; - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44321 by
@Jestor

Not finding Jediism funny is not the same as being offended at someone that thinks it's funny. If it comes off as defensive it's not meant to be an aggressive defense, more an explanation defense.

That is all I was was trying to convey with Manu. If he thinks it's funny but gets fulfillment out of it anyway -- more power to him. I don't find it funny, but I'm not bothered in the least (other than to reply to his comment) if he thinks it is. (Of course, I also find humor all over the place, too. In fact, I'm probably one of the least offended people around.)

And I also 100% agree with Manu on letting the fruits speak for themselves. It's about action, not words alone. A great quote from St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."

What stories are you thinking of when you say our stories are not real? From what I've learned so far, we take the good from all stories/myths and apply them to us to get the truth of the message. I guess it's a story and not real, but the message can change lives for the better. That's a religion I can stand with. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks for chiming in -- the more the merrier.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44322 by
Love the License Plate

More
12 years 5 months ago #44323 by Manu

Learn_To_Know wrote: That is all I was was trying to convey with Manu. If he thinks it's funny but gets fulfillment out of it anyway -- more power to him. I don't find it funny, but I'm not bothered in the least (other than to reply to his comment) if he thinks it is. (Of course, I also find humor all over the place, too. In fact, I'm probably one of the least offended people around.)

Well, it's not like I'm meditating and start laughing at myself out of nowhere. (Well, maybe once or twice). :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi