Defended Jediism yesterday...against my wife

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44324 by
I agree with what Jestor has said and I don't mean to come off fanatical or even defensive, as I wasn't trying to be defensive, and for the most part it doesn't both me if people don't take the religion seriously, I was just trying to explain that I disagreed with Manu, as I thought he was making Jediism out to be a parody religion in his post (he has explained that that wasn't the case and now the whole situation is different).

There will always be people who don't take a certain religion seriously, whether that is jediism, or buddhism, or christianity there will always be skeptics. As long as you are ok personally with what you believe and what you practice, others skepticism shouldn't bother you that much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #44329 by Manu

Coryduran wrote: There will always be skeptics.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Like Buddha said:

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

By the way, I do see what you mean. There are skeptics who just like to experience things for themselves, but there are also those skeptics who are so insecure they enjoy trashing what others believe. I do not support the latter.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44333 by
I was talking more about the latter, those who look to trash others for no real reason. I am a skeptic myself, and look to experience things before blindly believing them. I think that is a good trait in a person. I guess I should have been more specific to avoid the misunderstanding.

My biggest point is that those who look to belittle or trash what you believe in simply because they do not like/accept/understand it, or because they are too insecure in their own beliefs, should not be allowed to effect what you yourself belief. Try to educate, try to inform, and if all else fails smile and move on.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44335 by
Okay. I find this topic extremely interesting. From the last post by coryduran: how about simply educate and inform rather than try to? Just a thought. Here's an exercise to show what I mean. Try to sit down. You either do or don't. Try, for me, is a word I use as an excuse to not put out much effort. I'm speaking for myself and not others; please understand. For me, when I tell friends I am a Jedi and am learning about the religion, they first react in similar ways to the ones described. I've never gotten yelled at, yet certainly laughed at. When I started telling them I was listening to some lectures by Joseph Campbell though, they stopped laughing and we could have real discussions because they'd listened to them. In fact, The Book was recommended to me by one of these friends before I found TOTJO and this was the first place I'd seen it in an accessible form.

As to the conversation of skeptics, I agree that there are skeptics who like to trash otr people's beliefs although I prefer to call them cynics to a degree. I think skepticism as in wanting to experience things for oneself as opposed to blind faith is a great thing.

On the note of defending Jediism, I'd appreciate some suggestions. My family is very Mormon. I can explain what TOTJO is about and everything, yet it's a little out of their range of belief and my parents didn't want to hear it wen I was Muslim. I'm a little worried about what happens if I talk to my family about it. As I love to learn from everyone, what do you think?
Leena

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44339 by
Replied by on topic Re: Defended Jediism
I have found that I get a lot of kidding from the guys at work because of my belief in the Jedi path. I also get kidding from my wife and kids for it also. I DON'T CARE! I do not defend myself and I do not engage in banter back and forth about my beliefs. I am a Jedi and I follow the path of The Force.

To engage in a verbal exchange in my opinion is giving in to anger and fear. Anger for being persecuted by others and fear of being laughed at or ridiculed. We cannot change the weaknesses of others and only by our actions can we alter perceptions and opinions. Hold fast to your beliefs and stay the course (Path). No one needs to know that you are a Jedi, but they will know by your actions that you are.

I never told the guys at work that I was a Jedi but they knew that I was studying Star Wars as a hobby. As time passed, they realized by my actions and responses to different situations that I was "practicing" a higher level of spirituality. I never held back my responses that entailed reciting Jedi ideals or a belief in The Force. They laughed and did that sword swinging thing to try to goat me. I doesn't work, for The Force is my ally. I use the information that I attained from reading the Buddhist texts and the videos from Joseph Campbell to calm my spirit and to steady my consciousness.

Whether it is size, nationality, age, or beliefs, do not be judged, and do not give in to thoughts of anger and fear that lead to the dark side, for The Force is your ally, and a powerful ally it is.

More
12 years 5 months ago #44341 by Wescli Wardest
If someone asks me about my belief system I am always happy to answer questions.

If someone disagrees with my beliefs I reply that we are all entitle to our own opinions.

If I am mocked for my beliefs I remind them that they are my belief and I'm not asking that they share them.

I of course always try to be polite and live so that my beliefs are apparent in my life.

But, that's just me! And this, of course, will not work in all situations or with all people.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44342 by

Manu wrote:

Coryduran wrote: There will always be skeptics.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Like Buddha said:

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

By the way, I do see what you mean. There are skeptics who just like to experience things for themselves, but there are also those skeptics who are so insecure they enjoy trashing what others believe. I do not support the latter.

EXCELLENT QUOTE. I have no problem with skeptics. It was by being a skeptic myself that made me question the myths I had growing up that I was taught for truth.

Like Campbell said: "Those who say they know, don't know."

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44343 by
@loverofknowledge

I think the best answer you can give your Mormon family is what Manu said on this very thread (and which he got from Jesus, I believe) and that is to let your fruit speak for itself.

I don't think any Mormons will have a real problem with you being a good person and serving others. Your family may not like that you're not serving the way the church tells you to, i.e. holding a calling, visiting teaching, etc. But you're still serving and so this verse from the Book of Mormon applies to you:

"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."

You'll be fine, and May The Force Be With You.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44352 by
Like I had said earlier I was too broad in my use of skeptic, I should have been more specific, and yes perhaps cynic would have been a better choice.

I do not think that discussing the ideas and beliefs of Jediism with someone who may be cynical even would necessarily be a bad thing. I mean if it is coming from a place of anger or hatred, then yes obviously, or if it's an angry/violent vocal confrontation. It is though possible to do this just out of a desire to educate and inform and discuss these things with people.

Yeah it's a fine line between educating others and forcing your beliefs/opinions on others, and one that we must be careful if we choose to walk, but I think it's still something that we can do.

As for you loverofknowledge, I think Learn_To_Know pretty much sums it up. I think you have to talk to them from a point of respect for their own personal beliefs, and understanding of that they may not like your beliefs or they may desire for you to believe something else. That being said, I think it's always a good idea to discuss these things in your family. This not discussed issues in families almost always grow and manifest themselves into something worse than necessary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44363 by
Replied by on topic Re: Defended Jediism
I have found, that if someone is interested in a subject matter, they will not be afraid to talk about it. I have also found that there are 2 taboo subjects...Politics and religion. These 2 subjects alter peoples perception of a you more quickly that any other topic. Therefore it is harder for anyone to engage in these subjects without their emotions getting the better of them.

I will talk to anyone about anything as long as they are truly interested in the knowledge gained by all parties in the conversation. If a person I am talking with is just trying to belittle or embarrass me, I will just remove myself from the conversation politely.

All of the postings I have read from all of you have merit and are valid for the different types of people we will meet in our lifetimes. We all have opinions and to convey our beliefs to a "non-believer" in a thoughtful and concise manner is the challenge we face.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi