Defended Jediism yesterday...against my wife

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44239 by
First off, be it known to all that my wife is a wonderful spouse and a great mother. That being said, I was shocked at how vehement she was against Jediism (she comes from a Christian background).

Some common things were said like:

"How geeky"
"Star Wars is a M-O-V-I-E"
"That's not even real"

I had to really reach for the inner-Jedi and calm myself against the backlash. I explained that it's not role-playing, Star Wars is simply a parable that serves as a backdrop for what we really believe, I'm not in a cult, we are only interested in peace, serving others and recognizing the patterns and universal truths that shape all religions/cultures, etc.

It took a day, but this afternoon she finally calmed down about the idea of Jediism and accepted that what I am participating in is not bad or something to be feared.

So a question for any responders: Have you had to defend Jediism against others? And if so, what did you say and how did your antagonists respond to your well-reasoned answers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #44240 by Br. John
She was not against (TOTJO) Jediism but against what she thought Jediism is. That's two different things. It's very common.

I hope you remembered to mention that our Creed was written by St. Francis of Assisi, the famous Christian Saint who started the tradition of Christmas Nativity Scenes.

If Jesus does speak for God, or is God, and The Bible is true then a Jedi living our Creed is going straight to Heaven. It does not get much clearer than this.

[The Final Judgment]
[31] “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. [32] Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. [33] And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. [34] Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. [35] For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, [36] I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ [37] Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? [38] And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? [39] And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ [40] And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

[41] “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. [42] For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, [43] I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ [44] Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ [45] Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ [46] And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

(Matthew 25:31-46 ESV)

When you find yourself in one of these situations always start by asking questions. "What do you think Jediism is about?" "Do you know what the TOTJO Creed says?" You'll get the usual answers about us praying to Yoda etc and then you can say, "I understand why you think it's ridiculous and I bet you'll be surprised when I tell you what it's really about."

There's no need to be defensive or offended since the person (999 times out of 1,000 at least) is not actually saying we're stupid since they don't know what we're about.

Consider it part of the trials and keep a good humor. It's going to happen again.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44241 by
Yeah it happens, I had to defend it from my girlfriend, who also comes from a christian background, but she respects the fact that I believe in it and practice it, but she laughs any time I say it and thinks it is silly, simply because what is it called. It is still annoying, but I find peace in the fact that she respects what I believe, she just wishes it would be called something else :pinch:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44257 by
@ Br. John

You are exactly right that she was against what she thought Jediism is; she did calm down after I explained to her what the Temple is about and I told her I would be happy to share everything I do learn. (I did not mention St. Francis of Assisi but I will; good idea.)

However, about your Bible verses: I don't think I'll get anywhere with her or many other Christians by appealing to the Bible. There are so many nuances and different ways of looking at the same scripture (as you well know).

For example, those scriptures in isolation would seem to give us Jedi merit that we would go straight to heaven, but what about these:

"21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." -- Matt 7:21-23

What are those wonderful works these people did that God still rejected them for? Another might say "have I accepted Jesus?" And if I haven't it doesn't matter that I did good things and helped others.

Someone else could say "Have you been baptized?" And if I haven't it doesn't matter that I did good things and helped others.

What do I think and what does the Force tell me? It tells me that those people are too "stuck on the metaphor" as Campbell would say.

But I'm with you Br. John: Jedi living the Creed should have no fear of any afterlife.

May the Force Be With You.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44261 by
I hope its alright that I throw my 2 cents in here.

I am also lucky to have a girlfriend that neither rejects, or laughs ;), at what it is I have found, learn, and practice here and I am hoping that when our little one arrives in April, that she will not object to me teaching, and passing on, what I have found with the TOTJO.

I'm not versed in the bible in any way, shape, or form. I believe that while it is good, I can't follow something that has been in men's hands for so long. Man can be evil and the religions of old, even Christianity, loved the power they had.

Anyways, those last scriptures that were quoted, the problem I see there is "did we not do these things for you?" That in and of itself seems to be the problem. We should not do things hoping to enter heaven, we should do things for others simply because we can. By doing that we can enter heaven. Doing what was stated in the last scriptures quoted seems to be done for selfish reasons.

I do believe in God, or the Great Spirit, and in Jesus as well. Normally I would say that I do not believe in religion though I can't say that anymore. Men have done evil things in the name of religion: the old witch hunts and the crusades to name a few.

What I believe... What religion we are doesn't matter. The decisions, choices, and actions we make from the time we get up till the time we go to bed, that is what is important.

Just my opinion though.

More
12 years 5 months ago #44270 by Manu
My two cents here as well :)

I think "jedi" as a religion IS hilarious, and that's one of its strengths. Anyone who follows the jedi path long enough is able to laugh at himself for his "ridiculous religion" and not take things too seriously. When you are able to laugh at yourself, you let go of hardwired paradygms and are more open to new things, ideas, events.

"Parody" religions are not uncommon, take a look at Discordianism, The Church of the subgenius, etc. Their members tend to be very positive, full of humor, creative and open, and because of such qualities, knowledgeable about comparative religions and a bunch of other things.

All hail Yoda! :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
12 years 5 months ago #44271 by Wescli Wardest
I have to agree with Br. Jon. Also, not only do I like the words of wisdom he conveys; but, also the way he words it.

The few time I have come in to similar situations I try not to think of it as defending the religion so much as explaining my beliefs. I find that most people ridicule what they do not know or understand. If I can educate others either by word or action then I believe I have done well.

In the end it is the individual that has to come to terms with their own belief system. And all the arguing in the world, no matter how eloquent, will not change the mind of one which doesn’t want to hear.

Monastic Order of Knights

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 5 months ago #44272 by RyuJin
have i had to defend my views from others....short answer...yes.

when someone ridicules me, i simply smile, give a little chuckle and say: "it's not what you think"....this usually gets them to ask "what is it then?" i then explain it to them, and demonstrate some of the concepts. over time they come to accept it and the mocking ceases...especially when i give advice on something that gets ignored...i don't go around to them saying " i told you so"....

our actions are our strongest defence, stronger than anything we say since words only have as much power as the listener is willing to give them (i invest little in words, unless i can see the wisdom within them).

no matter what the religious/philosophical view, there will always be detractors, and those that mock what they don't understand. the most anyone can do is to teach and demonstrate what they have learned and hope that a mind is opened even if it's only a little bit, or only one mind...

most of the major religions have only been around for 2011 years to 5000 years depending on the culture(most of the ones over 2500 years old no longer exist, or are no longer practiced)...every religion/philosophy had a beginning filled with ridicule, some survived by forcing themselves on others and using their power to wipe out opposing views, some survived by accepting all views and letting others choose.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44286 by
Yeah I agree with Br. John as well as RyuJin on ways of going about the problem. I think for the most part the ridicule comes from a place of ignorance or misunderstanding. I think that a person educated on both Jediism and Religion in general would not look to ridicule or mock Jediism.

Unfortunately I disagree with you, Manu, as I do not see Jediism as a Parody religion. To me that would lump Jediism in with other groups such as pastafarians and those that you mentioned, who seek to practice their religion intentionally as a joke. I take Jediism as a religion seriously, and I do believe and hope that one day it will be treated with the same respect as any other religion out there.

That being said, there will always be those who look to mock or belittle us as a group, and we should not let them effect them. Like John and RyuJin have said, educated them on religion and jediism, try to broaden their horizon, but if they refuse to listen, then simply smile and move on. Do not allow them to effect your day or mood.

More
12 years 5 months ago #44289 by Manu

Coryduran wrote: Unfortunately I disagree with you, Manu, as I do not see Jediism as a Parody religion. To me that would lump Jediism in with other groups such as pastafarians and those that you mentioned, who seek to practice their religion intentionally as a joke. I take Jediism as a religion seriously, and I do believe and hope that one day it will be treated with the same respect as any other religion out there.

I didn't say Jediism is a parody religion, though I do realize I might have unwittingly implied it. I do not think it is a parody religion per say, but I do believe it is an asset that Jedi *know* that none of its history or background is to be taken literally (since Jediism is not about the movies, but about the philosophical concepts therein). It is a sure fire way of escaping the risks of fanaticism.

Though as a constructive criticism - as I've been there - many newcomers to any religion (Jedi or other) tend to place too much of an emphasis on their new religion to be accepted and less emphasis on simply letting its fruits speak for themselves.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi