Child Abuse or Discipline?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 5 months ago #44169 by Jestor
Yea,I was smiling as I listed those items in my last post, what an idiot I was...

A child, bulletproof, no responsibility, nor foresight... :lol:

For the sake of this thread, and conversation, I too would like to know what the offence was... Facebook? Myspace? E-Harmony? TOTJO?

My wife thinks everything I do without her is for meeting new women... :pinch:
*sigh*

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44170 by
Replied by on topic Re: Child Abuse or Discipline?
My wife lefts me go anywhere I wish without clearing it with her first. She always has a smile on her face when I come home. Even offers to clean my motorcycle and leathers.

My children are always well-behaved and are top of their class.

Of course, it helps that the wife and kids are imaginary. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44171 by
Abuse or punishment? That's an argument that has been going on a long time and differs from person to person and place to place. It all depends on how you look at it I guess.

Like Jestor, I made myself a promise, I promised I would not abuse my wife and kids. The worst one I ever got was when I was in the 2nd grade. I told my dad I wanted to go live with mom. He grabbed me by my throat, picked me up off the ground, punched me closed fisted 5 times in the face, and tossed me across the room into the wall without ever leaving the bed. I'm sure we all have some stories like this. I was mad, and scared, of him forever but I think that growing up the way I did has made me who I am today which I'm pretty happy with.

I believe punishment is necessary as long as it fits the crime. When you go past that its going to far. I personally also believe that for some things that a kid does its the parents fault too. But where is the line drawn? A kid gets a knife and accidentally stabs himself, why could that child get a knife? Again parents can't watch 24/7 either. It's hard and I don't think there is a right answer, there are definate wrong answers, and I hope that most parents do the best they can with what they are given.

I heard this judge was over cases like this a lot, I don't know for sure, but if he is then this is even more sickening to me. He sees this stuff all the time, he knows the statutes of the law, and should know better. I hope he is disbarred and never holds a judge position again. If the computer was an issue then take it and maybe her cell phone. The girls I know that would about kill them lol.

I think Jestor mentioned something about her setting up the camera and did she do this on purpose or somethin like that. I think you also have to look at the situation. If he were to leave marks he could be brought up on child abuse so he might have been careful about marks. Also, and its unfortunate at times, if she told anyone why would they believe her? He can't be that way, he is a judge and he knows better. I think the video tape at that time was so that she could prove it but as long as it took to come out into the open, its now revenge.

Like Yoda said, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side of the force."

Once again just my opinion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44174 by

Akasha Aditya wrote: The worst one I ever got was when I was in the 2nd grade. I told my dad I wanted to go live with mom. He grabbed me by my throat, picked me up off the ground, punched me closed fisted 5 times in the face, and tossed me across the room into the wall without ever leaving the bed. I'm sure we all have some stories like this.

Abuse from parent to child is a horrible Dark Side act and usually continues in the child toward their own children. I can only hope that the chain is broken somehow with the receiver of the abuse and is not perpetuated on their offspring or spouses.

What you just described is child abuse and I don't believe we all have stories similar to that (discipline yes, but what you described, no). My father and mother disciplined me, severely sometimes, but never in that manner.

May The Force Be With You as it sounds like you have conquered a horrible demon. It's great to see your resolve to not do the same to your own children and spouse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44176 by
My understanding is she was playing a computer game when she was told she could only use it for homework.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44177 by

ren wrote:
LOL. Next time my son plays with the gas knob, I'll burn down the neighbourhood, to show him the consequences of his actions.

Nah, you should kick him against the head. That'll teach him about the dangers of playing with the gas knob.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 5 months ago #44178 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Child Abuse or Discipline?

My wife thinks everything I do without her is for meeting new women...
*sigh*

You should tell her It's to meet guys, and plan to leave her for Mark or something :woohoo:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44179 by
This thread got quite a few replies so far, so here is some more info.

The daughter was being punished for downloading Kazaa (File Sharing App) onto her computer. This video was shot in 2004. It was released this year.

The daughter says the abuse had been going on for a while, and set the camera up this night because she knew something was going to happen.

The father is a family court judge who primarily sees cases of child abuse ironically.

The daughter also suffers from cerebal palsy, although it does seem to be pretty mild and under control from interviews I have seen of her.

The daughter is now living with her mom who left the husband. She says she doesn't want revenge or for her father to be jailed or anything, but that she hopes he can see how he acted was wrong.

The father defends his actions in the video in statements since it's been released.

The father will not face any charges because the statute of limitations on assault in that state is 5 years, and the video is from 7 years ago.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 5 months ago #44182 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Child Abuse or Discipline?
I see. well, the daughter was commiting a crime for which he (a judge) could end up having to pay for (with his career on top of excessively large amounts of money). Can't blame him for getting seriously pissed off. I guess it was either that or call the cops on her.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44183 by
Well I guess ultimately what he did could cost him his career. I read that while he won't be facing charges, there is still some board or whatever meeting over his fate as a judge, and a very likely possibility that he will be required to vacate the bench.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi