Is the water live?

More
4 years 1 month ago #349429 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Is the water live?
Is water (H2O) alive?

If we have not agreed on the characteristics of life, on what it means to be alive, there is no answer at all.

This is from Quora at https://qr.ae/Tl7tir

Answering the question: Why is water not [a] living thing?

[hr]

Sudaravan, Passionate about Physics and Computer Science,
Answered Apr 20, 2018

By definition, water is inanimate (not living), it . Water is a molecule(H2O), it has never been and never will be a living thing. Water is definitely not a living thing. That said, most water contains living organisms in some form of suspension.

It doesn’t have any characteristics of a living thing like:

Living things are made of cells.
Living things obtain and use energy.
Living things grow and develop.
Living things reproduce.
Living things respond and may adapt to their environment.

If something follows one or just a few of the characteristics listed above, it does not necessarily mean that it is living. Here are some examples:

Sugar crystals growing on the bottom of a syrup container. They grow, but that does not mean they are alive.
An automobile uses energy and moves, but that does not mean it is living.
Fire uses energy and reproduces, but that does not mean it is living.

Living things MUST exhibit all of the characteristics.

[hr]

If someone has a different list then present it. At least we'll know what we're talking about.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Rex,
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 month ago #349432 by
Replied by on topic Is the water live?
So as a Jedi do you believe that all things are connected? Do you believe in the Gaia principle that living organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet?

Sounds like a living biosphere that would very definately include water as a part of that process as well so I see no reason not to call it something that if not life itself contributes to life, just like blood contributes to our lives. Seems alive to me.
More
4 years 1 month ago #349434 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Is the water live?
What would it take to change your mind?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
More
4 years 1 month ago #349436 by Br. John

Fyxe wrote: So as a Jedi do you believe that all things are connected? Do you believe in the Gaia principle that living organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet?

Sounds like a living biosphere that would very definately include water as a part of that process as well so I see no reason not to call it something that if not life itself contributes to life, just like blood contributes to our lives. Seems alive to me.

That's right. It's not alive but it's necessary for human life.

State your characteristics of a living thing.

Water is necessary for human life but it is not alive.

Saying stupid shit for a million times makes a great big pile of stupid shit. It does not make it true

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, OB1Shinobi, Rex
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 month ago #349443 by
DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE = H2O

Water is a simple molecule possessing 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen.

IT HAS NO BIOLOGICAL COMPONENTS.
IT IS NOT ALIVE.

There is no other answer.

unless we are talking about it from a philosophical perspective, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMwBwFj5nQ
More
4 years 1 month ago #349446 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Is the water live?

Br. John wrote: Saying stupid shit for a million times makes a great big pile of stupid shit. It does not make it true

Haha, that is beautiful! Boy, were I to put it in such words, I'd never hear the end of it. That is magnificent! I salute thee.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 month ago #349451 by

Fyxe wrote: So as a Jedi do you believe that all things are connected? Do you believe in the Gaia principle that living organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet?

Very well said.
Conception of water could be, that it´s inorganic part of one living organism, without which the life couldn´t exist.
It connects solid matter together as a whole.

I found informations which says that at the beginning was the Universe liquid,
which fits into my idea about it, thus that liquid holds Universe as one living organism.
It can be observe not just within our body, but in the whole Universe

https://www.nature.com/news/2005/050418/full/050418-5.html
More
4 years 1 month ago #349455 by Br. John

You're right until you mess it up at the end. Water is part of the process of life. It's not alive itself; it contributes to life. Nobody disputes that

Founder of The Order
More
4 years 1 month ago #349456 by Br. John

Erinis wrote:

Very well said.
Conception of water could be, that it´s inorganic part of one living organism, without which the life couldn´t exist.
It connects solid matter together as a whole.

I found informations which says that at the beginning was the Universe liquid,
which fits into my idea about it, thus that liquid holds Universe as one living organism.
It can be observe not just within our body, but in the whole Universe

https://www.nature.com/news/2005/050418/full/050418-5.html

I read the article. The liquid phase lasted about 45 seconds and it was not water. There is no liquid that holds the Universe together today and there has not been for billions of years. That would be gravity. We are not talking about poetry and we are not speaking metaphorically. Pretend this is a high school Biology 1 Class. Kindly save the poetry and metaphors for English and Creative Writing.

Founder of The Order
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 month ago #349457 by

Br. John wrote:

That's right. It's not alive but it's necessary for human life.

State your characteristics of a living thing.

Water is necessary for human life but it is not alive.

Saying stupid shit for a million times makes a great big pile of stupid shit. It does not make it true

Characteristics for life is simply complexity. life is not an event or a thing. it is a process of complexity. it is an organization of elements that give rise to awareness. remove any of the elements and life ceases to exist. can you remove the blood from a human and that human still live? can you remove the water from this planet and expect it to continue to live? no in both cases. it is not the emergent property of awareness that creates life, it is the process itself and water is a necessary part of that process. so are the components of life alive? no but the resultant combination of them in specific quantities does create not only life but awareness. pretty amazing. thats alive to me. Its built into the very fabric of this universe. it cant help but be alive because of how the universe works.
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi