pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342303 by Carlos.Martinez3

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Jedi teaching
11. Jedi are mindful of their thoughts. We recognise the beauty in others and we provide help to those who come seeking it. Through our benevolent actions we strengthen not only ourselves but also our communities. Jedi act without prejudice.

12. Jedi believe that love and compassion are central to their lives. We must love and care for each other as we must love and care for ourselves; by doing this we envelop all life in the positivity of our actions and thoughts. We are providers and beacons of hope.

13. Jedi cultivate empathy. We try to view things from another’s perspective making us sensitive listeners. We provide the confidence people need when talking through their difficulties and we share our learning with those who would benefit. We do this to help create a more harmonious society.

14. Jedi are guardians of peace. We believe in helping all those that are in need, in whatever form, to the best of our ability. We recognise that sometimes providing help requires courage in the face of adversity but understand that conflict is resolved through peace, understanding and harmony.

Please...
What does your Jedi teaching have to do with this thread? I also wonder if you actually practice it but that's not my business, just my idle curiousity.

This is what we teach. This is what we try here. It may look way different and it may come in many different forms or ideas but this is what we do here - not hate. We hate. Humans hate. We all hate. But... we teach something ... different . What do these teaching have to do with hate -???
It’s what we try NOT to do. In so many different ways. Feel fee to hate . .. or be grouchy or even trollish... that’s cool too but as my old TM would say -“ that’s ok too... but good luck with that”

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342317 by
Replied by on topic The Freedom to Hate

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:
This is what we teach. This is what we try here. It may look way different and it may come in many different forms or ideas but this is what we do here - not hate. We hate. Humans hate. We all hate. But... we teach something ... different . What do these teaching have to do with hate -???
It’s what we try NOT to do. In so many different ways. Feel fee to hate . .. or be grouchy or even trollish... that’s cool too but as my old TM would say -“ that’s ok too... but good luck with that”

I'm sure you try not to hate. However, my thread isn't about Jedi, "trying not to hate", it's about censorship and the freedom TO hate and express that.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342321 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Freedom to Hate
So, I think this leads to an interesting question in the idea of a public forum of any type. However, the implications online are more interesting due to the nature of services. One should be able to express their beliefs open and freely if they do not lead to violent expression, however, in a public forum of the past, say a square with soap boxes, people can just walk away. Eventually over time those espousing the hate would begin to see their preaching as a waste of time as no one congregates near them. Second the person in the square preaching will no doubt suffer consequences for their speech such as vendors in the area not wanting to do business, drawing the ire of their neighbors ect.

Now we get to the paradox involved in online, the internet allows a high level of anonymity this can in itself allow more free expression but can also allow for the escape of consequence for said freedom to speak, which is also an inherent to the cost of free-speech. Second the time investment into the posting of these ideas is much different than in days previous, meaning people are much less likely to give up on them when they are not received well to the public. Often times leading to more sensational attempts to get it noticed, which over time often skirts the line of inciting violence to get the point across. The combination of these factors tends to lead people to appeal to authority. This then leaves the authority in a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Its a difficult paradox, one I don't have a solution too besides issuing warnings watching the discussion evolve and once a line is crossed it has to be shut down. The issue is finding that line. Another issue involved is figuring out which side crossed the line and when. It's a real pickle.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

More
4 years 7 months ago #342326 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic The Freedom to Hate
I don't think there is anything stopping people from hating.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342329 by

rugadd wrote: I don't think there is anything stopping people from hating.

There is plenty stopping them from expressing that hate, even on a digital platform.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342337 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: We hate. Humans hate. We all hate. But... we teach something ... different . What do these teaching have to do with hate -???

You may not express hate at an individual but do you hate injustice? Do you hate drunk driving that kills an innocent family? Do you hate rape? Do you hate war or violence? Do you hate it when you fail? Hate is a powerful tool for change. The alternative is indifference.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342338 by

Zealotx wrote: Many people are afraid to be normal. Many people don't feel like they fit in to what they perceive as normal

I wouldn´t say that people afraid to be normal, but rather, they feel be bounded by certain rules and thus their freedom to be themselves.
Not all what society set as convinient is beneficial. But it all matter on perception,
I don´t know if you met some type of person you speak off, so I can´t judge.

A lot of people, for example, who are in the KKK are in it for social reasons, not purely ideology. These ideas often do not form independently, but rather come from a type of indoctrination where other people are thinking for you, telling you that this or that group of people are bad because __________________. And then, because they see themselves as a goat, they become sheep in a church of goats.

Yes, this type of groups are dangerous, I am fundamentally against whatever indoctrination, especially by those which are not subjected by critical opinions and doesn´t matter for what doctrine stands for.
But it´s not exactly what I meant by that sheeps. What I meant is that people are afraid to be different, they want to be follower and listen what they should or shouldn´t do, I think they are unvoluntarily
guided by system in which they believes (thus their stable ground) . You know what, when one group of people together believe in one lie, you will feel secure to not resist common opinion. And if is wrong whole group, it doesn´t matter, everything is okay. And it´s sweeped under table.

Pheonix Vidensia wrote: There is plenty stopping them from expressing that hate, even on a digital platform.

Come on! Tell us something about it. I am wonder about your opinions.

What stopping them on a digital platform to express hate?
Personally I think that last few years is society exaggeratedly obsessed to be positive (that´s one of causes)

More
4 years 7 months ago #342339 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic The Freedom to Hate
There are plenty of places to express hate. Noone is required to entertain it, though. "You must sit there and listen to me hate in your own house." Sounds like an unfair rule. This whole thing seems like a nonissue to me.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 7 months ago #342340 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic The Freedom to Hate

Erinis wrote:

Zealotx wrote: Many people are afraid to be normal. Many people don't feel like they fit in to what they perceive as normal

I wouldn´t say that people afraid to be normal, but rather, they feel be bounded by certain rules and thus their freedom to be themselves.
Not all what society set as convinient is beneficial. But it all matter on perception,
I don´t know if you met some type of person you speak off, so I can´t judge.

That may be true in some cases or even many cases. I'm not discounting that experience. However, there are many kids whose modus operandi seems to be based on non-conformity. Think about your goth kids, looking like vampires. And there are actually people who choose vampirism as their culture. I'm not saying they do this because they're afraid to be normal, but rather that they definitely aren't afraid of not being normal. The same thing is true when you consider how we as humans have sex. Plenty of people are perfectly fine with vanilla. But others simply cannot be satisfied and delve more and more into taboos and extremes.

The central point is that there is always counter-culture that balances itself against culture. Yes, people generally want to belong. But the person doesn't feel like they fit the norm then it seems like they walk or run more towards the extremes; even taboos. And the middle line of what we all consider normal simply changes. This is a constant shift. Remember when American settlers were practically defined by pious puritans and anyone outside that norm were considered witches? We're always doing this to ourselves. We're always conducting A/B testing on our ideals and ideas. Red. Blue. In the south Red is the norm. In other places its blue. Families try to socialize their young to their version of what the norms are. But children often rebel and reject that instruction. Teenagers... So its like while many people are attracted to norms many others have a strong aversion to those same norms and they create an alternative culture where the norms are often inverted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi