Would we use lightsabers?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332295 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
The sword doesn't automatically map to Christianity. The crucifix does.

Just as a lightsaber automatically and nearly unconsciously links to Jedi and Sith (depending on the colour of the blade).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #332296 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Christianity, as it is currently practiced where I reside, is an insufficient spiritual practice by itself.
The same is true for Jediism.
Christian Jedi works for me though :)

Thanks for explaining the chalace and dagger

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zero

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332297 by

DungeonsNDaleks wrote: Once that Disney saber comes out, it may change the game drastically.

So, why will this change the game, to answer kyrins question?

A lightsaber is a sword that doesn't need a blade. It can be put away. The lightsabers (duel worthy ones at least) we have now have affixed blades that require special effort to put the blades away. This new tech by Disney would allow for the option to, as the fiction Jedi, take out and put away the blade with the push of a button.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #332299 by
Yes I understand the mechanics of it. But it also appears that this new saber is not combat capable. Which to me is a step backward for jediism since the real tie of the light saber so far has mapped to the real world use of physical fitness in martial arts. So my question was what use does a toy saber with no practical use have to a real life jedi?
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332300 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Yes I understand the mechanics of it. But it also appears that this new saber is not combat capable. Which to me is a step backward for jediism since the real tie of the light saber so far has mapped to the real world use of physical fitness in martial arts. So my question was what use does a toy saber with no practical use have to a real life jedi?

It appears so? How so, from the diagrams? Disney says it'll be able to compete with the best on the market.

More
5 years 3 months ago #332302 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Now I get what you're saying, Kyrin!

I actually had a look at the schematics and also read this article:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disney-designs-new-lightsaber-that-extends-and-retracts-just-like-the-film-versions/

The question becomes in what aspect does disney believe its saber will be able to compete with the best on the market?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332303 by
Yes, it's clearly described as a toy with a retractable tape like blade and will be sold as novelty or collectors pieces. I dont see anywhere that its combat capable.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332307 by
Anything and everything is combat capable. It's the combat reliability that's important.

On the end, just with my knowledge of custom sabers, and looking at the diagrams, and knowing Disney loving charging extra for their brand, this is gonna be placed well outside of most people's price range. And, for those that can afford it, they wouldn't risk breaking it even if it was combat reliable. I'd price that, easily, at 1k, probably more.

Doesn't help matters they'll be, most likely, canon hilts. And I'd be hard pressed to say I actually like any of them, besides Ahsoka's Rebels hilts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332315 by
So given all that, not combat capable, expensive, propiatary, etc I'm still failing to see how these sabers are "game changers"? How will this symbol map to a context in reality for a real jedi and not just a wishful context in a fantasy fiction?

More
5 years 3 months ago #332317 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Would we use lightsabers?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: So given all that, not combat capable, expensive, propiatary, etc I'm still failing to see how these sabers are "game changers"? How will this symbol map to a context in reality for a real jedi and not just a wishful context in a fantasy fiction?

The “accuracy” of this new toy can aid the Jedi that uses it in ritual practice. Just like it is not the same for a neo pagan to use a coffee mug as a chalice, but usually go out of their way to get something that resembles the real deal, the same way a realistically looking lightsaber can have this same effect.

I am not a user of lightsaber in practice (mostly because I have other financial priorities), but I can imagine how someone who does might be excited about this new toy. It doesn’t need to be combat ready, as most practice is solitary anyway.

As far as I can gather, the lightsaber is mostly a “male” symbol of action against “evil”, represented by darkness and unruled passion (the color red), and counter by the “defenders of peace and justice” with hope (green) and reason (blue).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , Zero

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi