Would we use lightsabers?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #327904 by
Would we use lightsabers? was created by
Would we though?

If they have existed, which I think is very possible and will probably happen (If it hasn't already in some top secret lab) Would we use lightsabers if they were like the movies?

swords alone can be dangerous and light sabers can effortlessly cut through others and material. Unless if they had a power setting which you can change and make it more like a Training Lightsaber where it can leave some burns and bruises but not cut through anything.

I know many want them to exist (Again assuming they don't already) and then realize that maybe it would be too dangerous? What do you think? I don't think any muggers would mess with you though if you had one :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #327910 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Would we use lightsabers?
I don't think you would mess with any muggers if hey had one, just like you don't mess with them if they pull a dirty old-fashioned gun on you, or even a knife, for that matter.
But no, I think lightsabers as they are portrayed in the films are some of the most dangerous and least pratical weapons one can conceive of. And of course, not possible as described - no idea how you reckon they are very possible at all. The closest thing i can think of would be something with an extendable blade made of a material that can get hot enough to melt through most others without itself getting soft in the process, but then the sheer power requirements to keep up the temperature along the entire blade surface like that would be borderline comical. Not to mention that there is virtually no way of protecting the wielder from that heat even if they don't cut themselves but just idly hold the thing.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #327911 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
If I had the ability to use a lightsaber I would 100% try.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by .

More
5 years 5 months ago #327919 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Yes i definatly wooukd try... but just like any other weapon they would require extensive safety training... mess up with a sword and u get cut... mess up with a lightsaber and loose a limb.

Scientest can make a “lightsaber blade” today.... that being said the hilt is a bit cumbersome as it takes a whole factory worth of equipment and more power than than your house will use in twenty years to turn on a 15 inch “blade” on for just a few seconds....so i guess were still along way off from carrying them around lol.... still i think everyone has fantasized about having a real one at some point in there life.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #327920 by
Perhaps before we'll have lightsabers, we'll have protosabers where it needs a power source through a cord. Although I worry about how anyone would handle the intense heat as it is supposed to be plasma trapped in a force field. and I can't imagine how dangerous double bladed lightsabers would be or light whips.

I'd prefer a lightsaber pike as the blade would be farther away from you at least.

More
5 years 5 months ago #327922 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Would we use lightsabers?
No.
Sources: that scene from raiders of the lost ark where Indy shoots the cocky swordsman

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #327923 by

Rex wrote: No.
Sources: that scene from raiders of the lost ark where Indy shoots the cocky swordsman

I have to agree with Rex on this one; I'd certainly attempt it as a formal part of being Jedi, but it would be foolish to assume it would come into any real world realm of practical application. While it would technically be a more advanced weapon, the same is true of modern defense items, many of which (like firearms) do not suffer from the same limitations and draw backs as swords or knives; namely their reliance on you're opponent coming within stabbing distance.

Similar to samurai and their swordsmanship skills, it would be a relic of a bygone age. Samurai were actually kind of embarrassed about their swords for a time; even the ones with a reputation for their brilliant swordsmanship tried to downplay it, the reason being that archery was the much more martially respected skill set, while swordsmanship was retained as a last resort for being foolish enough to let them come within stabbing distance in the first place. It was during the 1960's and 70's, I think, that pop-culture really brought it back as a thing to be proud of, for being so romanticized.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #327926 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Could the visual language of design in the franchise seems to indicate firing energy weapons from within shields impairs their effectiveness - for instance the X Wings when folded bring the weapons closer to the centerline then when deployed... pointing to a range of protection at about that distance, when in attack position moving the outer ends with the cannons to just outside the shield range. As a max efficiency design, in contrast to the blast through it of larger or cheaper platforms. So a saber then, perhaps as a defensive system... in the right hands can be bought to action without hindering the return of fire from a sidearm. And less of an offensive weapon by design, except for the romantics of bladed combat and ruthless gore fanatics of dismemberment!! To me its a defensive system first, which can be employed in ways beyond its main function - but that is my semi-pacifist bias.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Adder.

More
5 years 5 months ago #327928 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Would we use lightsabers?
It's actually kinda funny imagining what technology could even enable anything like a lightsaber. Batteries won't cut it, because while they can store enormous amounts of energy for very easy retrieval, their energy capacity per unit mass is rather low. That could be improved in principle, but that would render them even more unstable than they already are.
Another option is to use fuel. The advantage is a high energy per unit mass, but the disadvantage is having to carry around a combustion engine of some sorts, be it an internal combustion engine or a rocket engine and having to deal with the radiation and heat ontop of the one coming from the blade already.
Speaking of radiation, a surprisingly much safer way is to carry around a miniature nuclear reactor. Now you would have to properly shield it to protect the carrier, and that essentially means more concrete than reactor, so we're looking at a warrior with all the agility of a literal brick :laugh: ... but at least they could actually power the damn thing.
Basically in order to invent the lightsaber you first need to invent the arc reactor and at that point, really, what's the more impressive thing anyway?
Now this is all assuming some basic requirements for the blade, mind you: That it can cut through almost anything with relative ease, that it has an unchanging shape and length unless when extending, retracting, or adjusting some sort of setting controlling it, and that it can contact but usually not penetrate another blade of that type. This is why I'm not discussing blades made of plasma, as they fulfill none of these requirements.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328093 by
Before there were lightsabers we know today, there were protosabers so maybe we'd have to have something like that which honestly would suck and kind of awkward to handle. if it is plasma inside a force field isn't it protecting you from radiation? i'd figure the heat is more dangerous and how you can even hold it.

I'd imagine if a lightsaber is difficult, I wonder how different it would be for curved hilt lightsabers or cross guards.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi