Would we use lightsabers?

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331661 by Tobias
Replied by Tobias on topic Would we use lightsabers?
I have a lightsaber and I am using it. ;)

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Teaching Master: Rosalyn J
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Tobias.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331666 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?

TobiasGeisel wrote: I have a lightsaber and I am using it. ;)

:D Would love to see your practises!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331669 by
I actually agree with you on your point on this topic. I would very much like to see lightsabers in the possible future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331674 by
Honestly, if this (Disney's new Patent Saber ) works as it says it will (extends, super bright, as durable as any custom saber... would we ever have need for anything more? I know it would cost an arm and a leg... but it would be totes worth it. (then again, really depends on hilt outer diameter, even if the blade holds up as well as it says it does, anything more than 1.3 inches outer diameter and i lose interest.)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331676 by
IN THE YEAR 3000....

Yabuturtle wrote: In the near future, I'm not sure about them showing up in the near future...

More
5 years 3 months ago #331680 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would we use lightsabers?
I have not been following this thread particularly closely, but I wanted to interject my responses to some of the things I did see.

Just because someone has a gun doesn't mean they actually want to shoot you with it. In GTA terms its like the difference between 1 star and 3. Guns are used mostly for protection and to intimidate the other person.

I don't know how folk use guns in other parts of the world, but in my experience the difference between drawing a gun and firing it to kill (a person) is around 5-6 seconds - The time it takes to given the legally mandated warnings in a loud clear voice.

(I'm not going to get mired in a discussion about what could happen in those 6 seconds - Obviously if a threat is moving towards you, or a protected party/object with plausible intent or capability to harm, that time can be as short as you'd like)

As for all the people with vague comments on the reflexes and skill required to safely use a lightsabre - I do fencing, and I have never fallen on my own sword or hit myself.

Yes they would be dangerous, and as Obi points out - possibly more like a laser pointer than a sword, so without that "feedback" of the moving mass, you may very well be more likely to slice off your own limbs - but wild speculation and reference to arbitrary "levels" of skill or dexterity are pretty useless.

To go back to the gun thing, this more or less holds true, there are lot more accidents with short barrelled weapons (ie - pistols) as people seem less able to "imagine" the line where the bullets go.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331686 by
I don't get what you mean Arisaig.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331707 by

magnus97 wrote: I don't get what you mean Arisaig.

It's a design by Disney, supposed to be the 'most accurate saber ever'. If you go to this link (https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-lightsaber-patent/) you'll be able to see the design for the internals.

The question then becomes... if we have something that realistic that doesn't kill (or, at least, would be extremely hard to)... why would we, as Jedi, want anything more?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332279 by
I've been working on a custom saber, culled from some hardware bits & bobs, and the internals of my childhood lightsaber. I also have a friend who is a trained stage combat coach who will teach me the closest thing he can compile for Form IV. I agree with Arisaig, though. Once that Disney saber comes out, it may change the game drastically.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332280 by
How is yet another "toy" going to change the game? Exactly what game are we talking about? The game of pretending to be a fantasy and fictional character from a made up story?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi