Would we use lightsabers?

More
5 years 2 months ago #332283 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would we use lightsabers?
Probably means the game of commercially available lightsabre toys.

Which, whether you like it or not, is a thing people are interested in.

Don't be a smug dink for no reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332284 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Would we use lightsabers?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: How is yet another "toy" going to change the game? Exactly what game are we talking about? The game of pretending to be a fantasy and fictional character from a made up story?

Kyrin,

What has justified your reply? Particularly the last part.

What is going on?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332285 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
I'm just curious. What game are we talking about that is about to change? Disney has clearly defined the new saber as a toy. In light of that I just dont understand the relevance of game changing?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332286 by
Who is pretending? You take my meaning of the common phrase "change the game" literally. I came here because I believe in the spiritual and moralistic aspects of the Jedi Order. For some that would include martial arts as a form of training in self discipline and meditation. As the lightsaber is the most recognizable physical aspect of the Jedi order, I like many I'm sure, would like to own one as close as possible to that wielded by the fictional order that inspires us. Be it for the sake of collection or in the use of things such as the tai chi sword form. So, no. I'm not pretending. I'm sorry if you mistook my meaning.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332287 by

DungeonsNDaleks wrote: Who is pretending? You take my meaning of the common phrase "change the game" literally. I came here because I believe in the spiritual and moralistic aspects of the Jedi Order. For some that would include martial arts as a form of training in self discipline and meditation. As the lightsaber is the most recognizable physical aspect of the Jedi order, I like many I'm sure, would like to own one as close as possible to that wielded by the fictional order that inspires us. Be it for the sake of collection or in the use of things such as the tai chi sword form. So, no. I'm not pretending. I'm sorry if you mistook my meaning.

Ok so what do the spiritialistic and moralistic aspects of jediism have to do with magical space swords? Martial arts is one thing, a realistic pursuit, but the practice of sword play can be done with a wood stick. I'm trying to understand this game changing aspect of replacing a tool of this real discipline of martial arts with a shiny toy from science fiction?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by .

More
5 years 2 months ago #332288 by Rosalyn J
Symbolism I suppose. If we were focused on "realness" expressly, I don't think there would be need for this forum or others like it.

The finger is not the moon, but the finger helps point to the moon.

We could say that until I eat the real body and blood of Jesus, just as an example, I haven't really had communion. Until I am baptised in the same water Jesus was, another example, I am not really baptized.

People do what they can with what they have as a means to connect to their own spirituality. This has been the purpose of rituals, their costumes and props, since ritual was enacted.

I am sure there are many people here who would have never explored the deep questions the training allows without first being fascinated by the lightsaber, force lightening, telekenisis and other powers.

You yourself have had your own journey here which gave birth to your own style of training.
Irrespective of how your journey, style or training differs from another's, or even all others, I suspect the goal is the same, for none of us are terminally unique

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332291 by
I can understand such things to an extent but the symbolism is something that, as a spiritual pursuit should map to reality shouldn't it? For example, as a witch, I use a chalace and a dagger. These things map to the sacredness of the male and female aspects and that union they represent in creation. As jedi realists the light saber should map to something in reality, right? instead of an imaginary weapon held by a fictional character. So I'm just wondering what its significance is to jedi as a practical symbol that represents something in a real life path or pursuit?

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332292 by Rosalyn J

For example, as a witch, I use a chalace and a dagger. These things map to the sacredness of the male and female aspects and that union they represent in creation.

By map do you mean represent in ritual? Is this representation true for all witches, some witches, or just you?

Physical objects help to ground a very spiritual practice which can otherwise feel abstract, un-graspable. Despite our pursuit of spirital maters we are sensual beings.

As for what the lightsaber maps to...I don't have an answer for anyone else than me.
The lightsaber is to me like the sword of the Spirit in the Bible. A light sword does what light is meant to do, it comes in dark places and sheds light. I imagine it often during meditation. It divides truth from lies (if/when I have the courage to use it). It isn't meant to cut down any foe, it just unmasks them.

One of the essays of the initiate's program deals with the symbolism of the sword. The question "what does the lightsaber map to?" Is a worthy one.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zero

More
5 years 2 months ago #332293 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic Would we use lightsabers?
The lightsaber in my picture is purple....that color has a meaning in fiction. I chose purple because self control is somthing Ive struggled with, and the one movie appearance of a purple lightsaber is by someone who had enough self control to use both sides of the force (until he lost that control which ultimately caused his death). There is meaning in lightsabers kyrin, even if it’s a personal one that isn’t necessarily obvious to everyone. We all know there not real in the movie sence....but it’s our own personal view on what they represent that makes them exciting and important to us.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332294 by
Ros, The chalice and the dagger are generally understood this way by all witches. It is a common symbol that all witches can relate to and creates a basis for common language. A sword is also a common replacement for the dagger. So for you if the sword represents a biblical association why do you call yourself Jedi and not just christian?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi