Would we use lightsabers?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #329862 by
Replied by on topic Would we use lightsabers?
I wonder if lightsabers were real (Assuming they aren't already) would any of you masters teach your apprentices how to use one? :)

I'd imagine it would take months if not years to fully perfect it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #329863 by

Yabuturtle wrote: I'd imagine it would take months if not years to fully perfect it.

Like many things, if not all things.

I know I'd make martial arts part of training for my apprentices one day. But with an instrument of their choice. A Lightsaber does not a Jedi make, but the ability to defend those that are helpless when called upon, in whatever manner they can, does.

More
5 years 3 months ago #329936 by OB1Shinobi
Ever play around with a laser pointer? Thats how I figure a lightsaber would be irl because it you know, light

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #329957 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: Ever play around with a laser pointer? Thats how I figure a lightsaber would be irl because it you know, light

I wanna see a reimagining of star wars now where the sith are just angry cats chasing pointers. XD

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #329983 by
I thought lightsabers weren't light anyway, but instead beams of plasma that are contained in a force field hence why the light stays in one space.

More
5 years 3 months ago #329987 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Would we use lightsabers?
What they really are is painted sticks as placeholders for special effects to be applied to later. The force field and plasma explanation is empty technobabble that was made up after some thought it was an important problem that light does not actually stop propagating after a yard's worth of travel, nor does it shine in every direction during that journey. One can raise plenty of the same kind of pedantic objections against the realism of the plasma blade explanation, because Star Wars is not science fiction and was never supposed to be analysed for technicalities like this...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #329993 by
I really enjoy that, Gist. "Its not meant to be explained, because it's not science fiction". :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #330277 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Would we use lightsabers?

Yabuturtle wrote: Before there were lightsabers we know today, there were protosabers so maybe we'd have to have something like that which honestly would suck and kind of awkward to handle. if it is plasma inside a force field isn't it protecting you from radiation? i'd figure the heat is more dangerous and how you can even hold it.

I'd imagine if a lightsaber is difficult, I wonder how different it would be for curved hilt lightsabers or cross guards.

I believe before the lightsaber there was the vibroblade.

The thing with lightsabers is that its effectiveness was relative to the strength of the user with the force. Most Jedi were wiped out in order 66 but much of that was the element of surprise, being outnumbered, or flanked.

of course it's easy to say that a lightsaber is impractical but even with guns I think there is a very low ratio between a gun being drawn and a gun being fired, either by cop or criminal.

Just because someone has a gun doesn't mean they actually want to shoot you with it. In GTA terms its like the difference between 1 star and 3. Guns are used mostly for protection and to intimidate the other person.

a lightsaber would be a strong deterrent just because that person, even if they do have a gun, has to assume that there's a reason you're able to pull out a lightsaber instead of a gun.

Now once people get used to them you didn't see a lot of people in the movies running at the first sight of a lightsaber. And without reflecting bolts back at their shooters a Jedi would be seriously outmatched. But still... swords, not guns, are what's in my nature so that's what I would use. And I would probably put a cortosis shield on one side because I don't think people realize how much or how useful it is to actually touch a sword in combat whether its the flat side or the dull side. Sometimes you want to get more leverage than you can holding it at the hilt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #330322 by
I cannot say that I know enough about science, and possibly physics, to even say a lightsaber would be a possibility let alone a probability in the near future. In regards to the actual question of the thread, yes, I would use a lightsaber. It would take extensive practice and mastery to effectively wield one in combat without running the risk of hurting yourself. Even with the mastery of the weapon there are things that can go wrong that can cause self injury and with a weapon of that caliber that could easily mean death just as much as injury. With a katana you can trip or get tripped and fall on the blade and cut yourself pretty good. With a lightsaber you could easily cut yourself in half by falling on the blade. As a Jedi with reflexes you would just turn the blade off, take the fall, roll back onto your feet and turn the blade back on, but I do not think everyone would be that quick to think, at least in the beginning, and thus there would be a lot of accidents.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331655 by
I do think it's very possible to create. In the near future, I'm not sure about them showing up in the near future, but the possibility is there. I would think you might have to be on par with an olympic athlete however to use it though xD unless you just turn down the intensity of the light so they would be more like training lightsaber. Strong enough to leave burns but not strong enough to cut through anything.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi