Las Vegas...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302765 by
Replied by on topic Las Vegas...
I have yet to analyze or offer thoughts on what the Knights Code means to me.

But, this event offers some context.

As we reflect on yesterday's tragedy, lets do so through the guidance our doctrine offers, with none more pertinent perhaps than:

The Knights Code

A Knight is sworn to valor.

His heart knows only virtue;

His blade defends the helpless;

His word speaks only truth;

His Shield shelters the forsaken;

His courage gives hope to the despairing;

His justice undoes the wicked;

His image brings peace;

His code breaks the darkness;

His legend brings light.

Glad you are safe Senan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302767 by

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote: I will not blame inanimate objects for the humam insanity that has occurred. I will not react emotionally to the overwhelming pain events like these cause. May we all be a comforter to those in mourning as we also may mourn. Right now, people are vulnerable. Lets be strength to those in need. Some would use such a Dark time to advance a political agenda..

With all due respect, when is the right time to discuss the politics behind gun control in the U.S.? After the next mass shooting? Shouldn't this event be the exact motivation to press a political agenda that would prevent this in the future? Sandy hook was not enough motivation. Orlando was not enough motivation. Church shootings are not enough motivation. Shootings at the Bataclan and a concert bombing in Manchester didn't motivate us. Will 58 dead (so far) and over 500 wounded be enough to convince lawmakers to do something more than send "thoughts and prayers"?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302768 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Las Vegas...
I was saddened to hear about the horrific shooting that occurred in Las Vegas. I don't know all the details and I will let a period of grieving pass, but we do need to talk about this. And I will be ready whenever you are

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Rosalyn J.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302769 by

Senan wrote:

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote: I will not blame inanimate objects for the humam insanity that has occurred. I will not react emotionally to the overwhelming pain events like these cause. May we all be a comforter to those in mourning as we also may mourn. Right now, people are vulnerable. Lets be strength to those in need. Some would use such a Dark time to advance a political agenda..

With all due respect, when is the right time to discuss the politics behind gun control in the U.S.? After the next mass shooting? Shouldn't this event be the exact motivation to press a political agenda that would prevent this in the future? Sandy hook was not enough motivation. Orlando was not enough motivation. Church shootings are not enough motivation. Shootings at the Bataclan and a concert bombing in Manchester didn't motivate us. Will 58 dead (so far) and over 500 wounded be enough to convince lawmakers to do something more than send "thoughts and prayers"?

We can discuss this when we no longer rely on emotionalism to dictate what is or is not effective policy. We cannot point to those that defend their rights as perpetrators in an evil act and we cannot allow ourselves to use an act of evil to forward an agenda without that open debate. There is no point passing another piece of legislation that will ultimately do nothing. The blanket statement of "we need to do something" becomes an open ended ticket for mob politics.

What law should be pass? We are hearing endless calls for actions and new laws but what?
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302770 by

jag1993 wrote: What law should be pass? We are hearing endless calls for actions and new laws but what?

So we DO get to have this conversation today?

Good.

And now it's time to stop derailing the thread, please.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302772 by

Atticus wrote:

jag1993 wrote: What law should be pass? We are hearing endless calls for actions and new laws but what?

Good.

I agree.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302774 by

jag1993 wrote:

Atticus wrote:

Good.

I agree.

How about making all auto and semi auto rifles illegal, not only to own, but to PRODUCE? Same for high capacity magazines. Maybe don't put legislation forward legalizing silencers as was JUST DONE this week? Maybe tax the crap out of ammunition that isn't bought and fired at a gun range? Maybe require longer waiting periods (because who ever needed a gun THIS SECOND for a legitimate reason). Maybe don't sell guns to people with mental illness? Maybe put a limit on how many guns one person can own? Maybe put limits on campaign donations from firearm manufacturers and the NRA? Should I go on?

These have all been suggested after every one of these shootings. They aren't new. Last week, last month, last year was the time to talk about this. Now there are 50+ more dead people and at least some of that blood belongs on the hands of legislators who ignore the reality of the problem we face. This problem is uniquely American because we created it and now ignore it. This article explains it pretty well - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/2/16399418/us-gun-violence-statistics-maps-charts

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302780 by
There's is a right to own firearms. Making them illegal and/or forbidden it's manufacturing removes that right.

High capacity magazines is a subjective term. Some states already outright limit how much ammo you can buy and use.

Some places already have waiting periods. The other issue of waiting periods is states and municipalities are streatching this period without due process (another right).

The issue of selling to mentally ill people has been distorted. The original bill concerning mental health and guns wasn't supported due due process rights again.

If we limit the money allowed to donations it risks infringing on individual right to speech.

Should I go on?

These have all been proposed and refuted for a reason. Claiming the other side is a part of the evil because they disagree with your policy ideas does not bring a solution.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302784 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Las Vegas...
I'm not American, so I can't speak to the policy aspect of the gun issue.

I had a friend who was in Las Vegas last week, it could have easily been her involved in such a terrible event. I am glad she wasn't. I am glad you weren't, Senan.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 6 months ago #302793 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Las Vegas...
Politics and everything else aside - Events happen, many of them are not what you would want.

Those who are still alive, are still alive, they have the opportunity to grieve for the ones that they have lost, and the opportunity to decide how these events shape their future decisions.

It's how we react to the events we don't want to happen to us that helps define who we are.

For Senan

Not political as such, but related to laws that might get people emotional

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi