Las Vegas...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302736 by
Las Vegas... was created by
Now is not the time to be on a soap box spouting opinions, but I feel it is relevant to share my perspective of the mass shooting event in Las Vegas last night. I was awoken late last night by my cell phone blowing up with messages from friends and family asking if I was okay. And then the stories started coming. It was a long night of horrific first hand accounts that I still haven't fully processed.

Those of you who are closer to me know that I work for a Country music radio station in the Los Angeles area, and yet again, I find myself way too closely involved with terror. I stood on those very festival grounds for the previous two years working at the Route 91 Harvest Festival, and this year, mainly due to my health, I decided to let others go in my place. There is a television news crew in our studio down the hall as I write this interviewing coworkers and friends who were shot at. This station sent 150 listeners to that show as winners of tickets. We still don't know if any were injured or killed. My close friend and producer of our morning show was in a crosswalk between the venue and the Mandalay Bay hotel when the shooting started. She and our promotions guy jumped into a nearby cab with three other people and escaped. They didn't get back to their room in the Mandalay until 4AM this morning. My good friend from Big Machine Records has more than one bullet hole in his car that was parked backstage. He told me he could hear bullets ricocheting off of the stage rigging for almost ten minutes straight. Another acquaintance of mine is a DJ from another Country station in Bakersfield CA and was standing directly in front of the stage when a young woman near him was hit in the shin by a bullet bouncing off of the pavement. He dragged her behind the stage with him where they ducked more bullets.

I can't believe I am recounting stories like this. This is the America we have created for ourselves. One where a single disturbed individual can unload hundreds of rounds of high powered ammunition out of an automatic weapon toward a crowd of 20,000 people from a hotel room window, and for what reason? The Force only knows. I can only hope that this leads to some serious conversations about our misguided policies concerning civil liberties, law enforcement, racial inequities and the right to bear arms meant for a battlefield, not our communities, much less anywhere near a music festival.

My town of San Bernardino continues to reel from a terrorist attack barely two years ago, and now one of my favorite cities in the world will be forever linked to the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. I'm sad, but I'm also pissed off. When does this stop? Or have we gone too far down this rabbit hole to ever come back? Right now I am truly lost, but I will find the light in this. As hard as this is now, I will focus on the good. I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace.

My thoughts go out to all those affected by this tragedy. I am with you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302740 by
Replied by on topic Las Vegas...
I'm so sorry about the proximity of this terrible tragedy to you. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel, other than what you shared with us. I want you to know I'm here for you. I'm always available to chat if you need someone to talk to. Thoughts and prayers your way.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302741 by

jzen wrote: I'm so sorry about the proximity of this terrible tragedy to you. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel, other than what you shared with us. I want you to know I'm here for you. I'm always available to chat if you need someone to talk to. Thoughts and prayers your way.

Thank you. I really do appreciate my Jedi family at times like this. It is easy to become overwhelmed by everything happening around me at times like this, but life will go on and I know we will continue to do right and good things in this world. There is always hope.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302743 by
I'm sorry for your pain Senan. This kind of action can't be understood or explained. It defies logic to bring so much death and terror to innocent people. At least there is a Jedi who might be able to help those involved. Let me know if you need support.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302745 by

Senan wrote: i can only hope that this leads to some serious conversations about our misguided policies concerning civil liberties, law enforcement, racial inequities and the right to bear arms meant for a battlefield, not our communities, much less anywhere near a music festival.

I don't have the words, brother, but I share your hope. May we all focus on that outcome.

My thoughts are with you and your friends, and all those affected by this unimaginable tragedy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302747 by
Senan,

Hey, I don't know you from this website very well. But we are connected.

We also had a shooting at the Ariana Grande concert a few miles from my home. And part of this has made me unable to trust in people... I hope it hasn't disturbed you too much.

Peace and Blessings

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302756 by
Put our disagreements aside and lets us be a unifying force.

We can debate policies later, for now let us grieve and let us wait for information to be revealed.

Stay safe friends. The Force will be with you, always.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302759 by
I will not blame inanimate objects for the humam insanity that has occurred. I will not react emotionally to the overwhelming pain events like these cause. May we all be a comforter to those in mourning as we also may mourn. Right now, people are vulnerable. Lets be strength to those in need. Some would use such a Dark time to advance a political agenda..
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302760 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Las Vegas...
Tragedy sucks.
Senan, im glad you werent there, Im glad youre not hurt. ((Senan))

My condolences to those who were.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302763 by
I am happy you are ok Senan , take care

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi