Jedi Robes

More
7 years 2 months ago #271805 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Robes

Brick wrote: Also, I too kinda want to see a Jedi robe/kilt combo :laugh:

Y'all temptin' me. I need an excuse for a new kilt anyhow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #271817 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Robes
Please bear in mind....Im just talking :) Been sick....so....this is distracting :)

Gwinn wrote: My opinion is that, while wearing robes could be a symbol of self discipline and dedication because of public opinion

Its actually not just because of public opinion. That is like....a tiny seed within the whole bundle XD Public Opinion be damned for all i care :-p In Japanese martial arts you wear a Gi. Not just "Because" or "The way they do things" or "Its Traditional" but also because it; Teaches you to perform tasks outside of the normal routine, forces you to be comfortable in uncomfortable attire, reminds you that while wearing the Gi, you uphold a strict standard which everyone will judge not just you....but your practice, by.

In military you wear a Uniform for similar reasons.

This is because when you dawn the uniform, you commit to the training and pursuite 101%

After all.....Can you honestly tell me you are at 101% Jedi Mode in your Pajamas? ;)

the better thing to do is to show your dedication through example.

Well obviously :) But thats just a different branch of the same tree :)

While I think symbols of a faith can be a good thing, one must be careful not to rely on them too much.

Don't think thats something to worry about ;)

Remember that Star Wars is a story. It has many lessons, but doesn't need to be taken literally to learn them. Also, from the TOTJO main page:

Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe....Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth.

Same could be said for the Tao Te Ching, and the Bible, and History Books, and just about anything written in real life for real life purposes ;) I feel this continued focus on "OH But its fiction!!!!" is just distracting from the actual lessons presented. :)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

More
7 years 2 months ago #271818 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Robes

Trisskar wrote:

While I think symbols of a faith can be a good thing, one must be careful not to rely on them too much.

Don't think thats something to worry about ;)

Actually, much extremism is born from relying on symbols of faith too much.

Remember that Star Wars is a story. It has many lessons, but doesn't need to be taken literally to learn them. Also, from the TOTJO main page:

Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe....Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth.

Same could be said for the Tao Te Ching, and the Bible, and History Books, and just about anything written in real life for real life purposes ;) I feel this continued focus on "OH But its fiction!!!!" is just distracting from the actual lessons presented. :)

I'll argue the definition of "fiction" here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271820 by

steamboat28 wrote: Actually, much extremism is born from relying on symbols of faith too much.

Correct. I meant that most who follow Jediism are not really "Extremist" (Most come to jediism to get away from Extremist thinking of other practices) save for perhaps the "N00bs" who eventually learn the folly of such extreme practice :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271835 by

Trisskar wrote:

steamboat28 wrote: Actually, much extremism is born from relying on symbols of faith too much.

Correct. I meant that most who follow Jediism are not really "Extremist" (Most come to jediism to get away from Extremist thinking of other practices) save for perhaps the "N00bs" who eventually learn the folly of such extreme practice :)

Triss, I wasn't really pointing you out. I was mostly talking to the gung-ho new members who are excited to be Jedi. My point was supposed to be that that's fine, it's great to be a Star Wars fan, and sure we all talk about it here, but when it comes down to it TOTJO's teachings are separate from the fiction.

I've seen a lot of posts from new members with the influx from the movies--people that are fans, and want to be like their heroes--that say "We need to do things this way." We need a temple. We need robes. This fictional book says this. Sabers sabers sabers! These are all great. But we should remember that the fiction is a tool. Lucas did draw on Campbell's work. So if we draw on Star Wars as a myth to relate to, we should do so through the lens of Campbell's ideas (which are conveniently given to us in the first IP lesson). Steam was right--my point was following myths too closely, and taking them out of context does lead to extremism. "My god is better than your god" leads to wars, "You didn't follow this rule to the letter" leads to persecution.

The public opinion was brought up in an earlier post, as well as yours. Sqauht compared fictional Jedi attire to a rosary or a hijab, and asked the same respect be given that is given for those things. That's tough in this day and age, because other religions ARE taken literally, whereas this one is obviously inspired by fiction. We had a discussion about respect a while back, and it was the consensus that respect needs to be earned. If the community wants robes to be respected, they're going to have to earn society's respect. That can most easily be done by serving and showing that we are deserving of respect. Jedi in the fiction were respected not only for their command of the force, but their objectivity, honesty, integrity, and willingness to serve society.

As for the discussion of "OH but it's fiction," It's necessary to keep the lessons to be learned honest. There are plenty of good lessons to be learned from the fiction, just as there are from any of the other books and writings you mentioned. But we've seen the effects of taking those books literally and absolutely.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #271836 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Jedi Robes
Any of it is fine. It just should not be mandatory.

Trisskar

Shaolin is my chosen discipline. I am not a monk, but we wear robes in class, and that robe is the other I referred too in my earlier post in what I couple my plain robe with. I also wear them in my home(because they are comfortable.)

It was funny to see that the old days called for cargo pants and a trench coat.

I wear cargo pants of high quality(tear resistent, water proof, gusseted), t shirts (or polos when at work) usually without print(but occasionally I am gifted with something or have shirts for Chicago Jedi. I don't like to promote things I don't fully understand, like Nike, or other brands. I am not a walking billboard paying for the privilege) and a black leather wilson trench coat. Dependet on weather, I often couple this with a hoodie. In the hottests days of summer, I have an excoriated bomber jacket originally meant for police as a light alternative, or I simply go without.

I wear feiues until I can find an acceptable knee high, soled, riding boot as a standard foot wear. I tried regulation army boots but they hurt my feet.

rugadd
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by rugadd.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271839 by

rugadd wrote: It was funny to see that the old days called for cargo pants and a trench coat.

well at the time the Matrix was a big influential part of the overall whole. Lots of people fawning over Neo and his cool trench coat XD One member in particular started adopting the style in real life and you know how people like to emmulate. Regardless...there were plenty of agreed upon uses despite the influance.

Sadly Cargo pants are hard to find for women Im noticing, and most these days have fake pockets and are not as adaptable as they used to be. And when i do find a pair they come from China which means I have to order a XXXL or something in order for them to fit XD haha

More
7 years 2 months ago #271856 by rugadd
Trisskar

Look up EMT pants. Plenty of female EMT's and that is what I have. My brother(2nd Lt in the army) and my ex wife(former police officer) and my old roomate (an EMT) all suggested this and now they are the only pant I wear outside of my Shaolin robes and occasionally scrubs(which don't let you kick very high without tearing out the crotch)

rugadd

More
7 years 2 months ago #271857 by rugadd
They can be expensive though. Around $50 a pair, and that is the low end.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #271861 by
Yes I wear a robe, but I'm looking for a larger one with a better hood. Would anyone know where to find a tan/white robe for a good price?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi